Upcoming Head Gasket replacement

kleake

Reaction score
No, but I didn't crank it very much because it didn't sound right. How long does it take to get fuel back through the whole system so that it will fire?

6.4f350

Reaction score
If you bleed the system good, both through the schrader valve and the fuel cooler, not too long. It will take a little bit to bleed it, make sure you get all the air out otherwise it will never fire.

kleake

Reaction score
Here is the video:
th_20160815_211802_zpspbxrfkwp.jpg

kleake

Reaction score
I am getting an injector control pressure DTC after cranking. Bled the shrader by putting a hose in a jug, no air coming out of it. Opened the other line while the key was on and got a little bit of air, but then all fuel.

Lipka101

Reaction score
I am getting an injector control pressure DTC after cranking. Bled the shrader by putting a hose in a jug, no air coming out of it. Opened the other line while the key was on and got a little bit of air, but then all fuel.
Don't be afraid to make a little mess getting the air out. Crack the banjo bolts on the fuel cooler til its straight fuel. Cycle the key multiple times. Maybe pull the upper filter and make sure its full. Mine fired up on the first try. Threw one code for a cylinder contribution and chugged a little but cleared up after a minute.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
Ok, i'm still working air out, but it's getting better. Key on, loosen rear banjo until straight fuel. Cycle key a time or two and repeat. What do you guys make of the no compression issue? That is what scares me at this point?

Wizbangdoodle

Reaction score
Did you, by any chance, rotate the engine once before you buttoned it all up? In other words, did you verify that your valve train was in working order?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

kleake

Reaction score
Well, I did rotate it over as I torqued the rockers. Per the manual you do 4 cyl, then rotate 360 and torque the other 4. I didn't specifically watch each one as I rotated though. Wishing I would have now, but I assumed new lifters and rockers that all would be good. Really odd that it's 4 in a row.

Lipka101

Reaction score
Ok, i'm still working air out, but it's getting better. Key on, loosen rear banjo until straight fuel. Cycle key a time or two and repeat. What do you guys make of the no compression issue? That is what scares me at this point?
Yeah. I'm not sure on the compression issue. All injectors and glow plugs are torqued down? Did you replace the lifters?
Edit; posted the same time is you. Maybe the new lifters haven't filled with oil yet? How long have you cranked it?

Last edited:

kleake

Reaction score
yep, all injectors and glow plugs torqued just like they should have. New lifters and rockers, only re-used the pushrods, but they all looked good. The tips on the old rockers didn't seem to be as tall as the new ones, but figured it was normal wear.

kleake

Reaction score
Got it to fire a few time, but won't start yet. Definitely not hitting on all 8 though. Fires what sounds like 4 strong, then a gap and stops. Once it hit 4, skipped and 4 more, but didn't stay running. Battery is getting weak though and I've got one that is going bad. It was at 9v when I put it back in so i'm basically trying with a single. May have to call it a night and let them charge until tomorrow.

kleake

Reaction score
Calling it a night, but after getting it to start momentarily, it's still down on 4 cyl and only tries to start really. Since these are re-manned heads, I am really wondering if they surfaced the heads, but did not make any adjustment in the valves to make up the difference causing them to stay slightly open. Seems like a long shot, but possible? Charging the batteries and will try again tomorrow, hopefully with more luck.

6.4f350

Reaction score
Well, I did rotate it over as I torqued the rockers. Per the manual you do 4 cyl, then rotate 360 and torque the other 4. I didn't specifically watch each one as I rotated though. Wishing I would have now, but I assumed new lifters and rockers that all would be good. Really odd that it's 4 in a row.

New lifters - did you let them soak in oil for a while before putting them in? If not, that's your problem. They just need to pump up. No big deal.

Lipka101

Reaction score
New lifters - did you let them soak in oil for a while before putting them in? If not, that's your problem. They just need to pump up. No big deal.
Four of them though? Kinda strange especially after that much cranking. I did my lifters without soaking them and it didn't make so much as tick on startup and no compression issues.

kleake

Reaction score
I didn't soak them, but they were in a bag and had a fair amount of oil on them. I did however pour oil over them after install and let them sit for a couple of days like this.

Even if they didn't pump up, there would be some compression from those cylinders, these sound as if there is completely 0. Think of pulling all spark plugs on a gas engine and cranking it over. That is the sound I get during those 4 cylinders.

6.4f350

Reaction score
I've had empty lifters take a minute or two of running to pump up in other motors before, and cause some funky sounding cranking. I'd try to get it fired up and see if it doesn't sort itself out shortly after running.

Members online

No members online now.