VGT Compound Build

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
Thanks. You keeping your numbers hush hush? It sounded good on the dyno

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Haha yeah you know how us truck pullers are. I was impressed with what it made the first time out. Made some adjustments, and made more. Hope to hit one more dyno this year and surpass our goal for the truck. We feel it's a easy feat with some tinkering

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Tried the 12.0 index out.

Found out the truck runs 11.6-11.8 all out on the small tune so I had to do a little sandbagging on the big end.

https://vimeo.com/182292510

Lost out to Larson Miller in the second round of eliminations by .003

I left pretty hard, you can hear the tires working I knew I was on my way to a breakout and let off a little too soon!

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
0876d90fc37eeaca2d4af748665003f1.jpg

93928272c8e499da9c01cd1796fa2956.jpg

Andrew hooked me up with new badges as well, love the new look.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
1149c3a5d5492d4f277ab8914a25eba2.jpg

Been on the fence about headlights forever, decided to try some cheap ones off of Amazon. Ordered LED heads, fogs, and switchbacks and actually really like how it came out!

Oil Field Trash

Reaction score
1149c3a5d5492d4f277ab8914a25eba2.jpg

Been on the fence about headlights forever, decided to try some cheap ones off of Amazon. Ordered LED heads, fogs, and switchbacks and actually really like how it came out!

Once you go LED you will hate driving the old style. I run LED headlights on 2 of my trucks. And the one has Rigid fogs, it's glorious!

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Any good news on your fuel system?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, I'm taking a break from working, thinking, looking, and definitely spending money on the truck right now. I don't even feel like buying new fuel filters so I'm not even going to investigate right now.

For those that don't know what I'm talking about I've had issues with high Rail pressure since I picked the truck up, at first I didn't realize it because it had been so long since I'd driven the truck it didn't occur to me that 26-28k rail pressure while cruising is not normal.

Thought maybe it had something to do with tuning but after speaking with Morgan he informed me that he didn't change anything with commanded pressures. Looking at a video I took on the way to drop the truck off I found that it wasn't doing it before hand so that rules tuning out.

Decided to buy a new pressure control valve since I guess those can stick (usually due to contamination). Pulled my old pcv out and found this:
b99da1bf9f6be0336392bb9fc95dcf39.jpg

Mostly metallic, definitely not normal. Not sure where the metal is from, although the cp4 does have a reputation for stuff like this. There's a possibility that it's from the previous 70,000 miles with the old cp4.

When I get motivated I think I'm going to have the injectors tested/inspected, replace all of the high pressure fuel lines and rails, and drop a new cp4.2 in. Maybe I'm being too cautious... just don't feel like taking a gamble and replacing the entire system.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Well I pulled the fpr off of the top of the pump and there wasn't a spec of metal in the screen, so that's good.

I replaced the fpr and the rail pressure is still screwy.. dunno what the deal is, I tried the h&s canned tunes and it made no difference.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Bumping this from the dead...

Had a cyl 6 contribution code pop up while I was replacing fuel system parts, probably knocked some crap loose and pissed an injector off. (I hope!)

Had some time over Christmas to pull the injectors and I finally sent them out to Exergy last week. Just got off the phone with Ric and the injectors tested well on the bench, although there was some debris and rust found upon further inspection. They are pretty confident they can be cleaned up so that's great news.

Next I'll be getting the injection pumps tested and inspected to make sure nothing went through them that would cause any damage, replace all the lines and I'll be back to figuring out the rail pressure issues. lol.

Last edited:

WhiteMamba_Scorpion

Reaction score
Bumping this from the dead...

Had a cyl 6 contribution code pop up while I was replacing fuel system parts, probably knocked some crap loose and pissed an injector off. (I hope!)

Had some time over Christmas to pull the injectors and I finally sent them out to Exergy last week. Just got off the phone with Ric and the injectors tested well on the bench, although there was some debris and rust found upon further inspection. They are pretty confident they can be cleaned up so that's great news.

Next I'll be getting the injection pumps tested and inspected to make sure nothing went through them that would cause any damage, replace all the lines and I'll be back to figuring out the rail pressure issues. lol.

Glad your injectors are fine. RCD has the o-ring and injector line kits. I'm guessing one of the pumps is bad... probably the reason for the super high fuel temps compared to mine. Don't loose faith brother. Still time to get it straightened out before summer to play with.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
It's just going to be a slow process unfortunately. The truck has fallen quite a way down the priority list but I'm not giving up yet.

Black AOD

Reaction score
I'm with Pete, I'm betting something is up with the CP3 or 4 and testing or replacing the one that is bad should help clear some issues up!

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Hope to see your rig back operational soon. Your build is a looker for sure!!

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
Thanks!

Cp3 went out today and if I can find some time this weekend I'll be pulling the cp4, Starting to get the ball rolling here... just needed a little good news to get me motivated.

Latest posts

Members online