Voltage regulator for A-1000 Fuel pump

Marty

Reaction score
Dannys pump, just like all of them are run with 10ga wiring. Running without a fuse might have caused this lol. I had someone do same thing on a fuelab and it burnt up rapidly. Fuelab even knew that's what caused the pump failure on their inspection.

Last edited:

TARM

Reaction score
ALWAYS RUN A INLINE FUSE on anything electronic in vehicles period. A lesson hard learned. Along with using only high quailty fine stranded wire on #g size larger than needed and connectors.

SO the guy at Aeromotive stated the heads rail are a point of restriction. By that I am betting he specifically means the rail ports and fittings. This is not stating this is the issue here but it does bring up something I considered when doing my final fuels system design. Again I am not saying this is THE reason but more asking questions and throwing out some ideas and theories.

A question for others like Marty and those that have done a number of these as well or anyone that may have bothered to test: Has anyone bothered to ever check and see if there was a pressure difference between pressure before the heads and then after at the regulator. Testing it both with using the standard fuel rail ports and then the larger inspection port with a standard JIC ORB not banjo fitting?

I could see it being plausible that there could be a pressure difference especial with certain ways some run fuel lines. One example would be if you were to run in one head out the the other port then into the other head and finally out of it to the regulator. That versus a Y going to each head thus dividing the vol between each head port. Most important would be when the truck is running and in use. Consider the size of the hole in the 1/4 NPT fitting that goes into the fuel rail port and then if its an angled fitting. That that vs the internal size of the -6 hose opening. Then add in to that hot fuel that could exacerbate the issue from not enough cooling and decreased lubricity. Further is not the A1000 specifically not rated for diesel and there is a specific marine version that is diesel rated. Yes I know how many A1000 are running fine on diesel just bring up a point.

IMO there is a good reason Fuelab does not recommend having their pumps run at full speed except for short periods unless extra cooling etc is provided.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Interesting.

BTW, you could just grab the tach output signal off the PCM to run that controller.

TARM

Reaction score
The Aeromotive PW controller or the Fuelab one built into the pump or both?

907DAVE

Reaction score
I was talking about the Aeromotive. If he needed a tach signal to run it, the PCM makes one you can use.

woodduck97

Reaction score
I got a rebuilt pump on the truck yesterday. I am guessing this pump was going out for awhile because I thought I was having a problem with a missing sound that was coming out of my exhaust for awhile while under a load. Also this may have been why the stock turbo looked to be clearing up the smoke a tad bit because now it is back to blacking everything out on the race setting. The pump still sounded the same from day one being on the truck but I guess whatever pumps the fuel inside it went out. You could lay both pumps side by side and put voltage to them and both motors sounded like they were turning at the same RPM just the old one wasnt putting out no fuel. Also in the next few weeks I am gettting a fuel pressure gauge for inside the truck so I can moniter this closer and easier. Another is getting a bunch of fuse blocks or breakers to put in the wire after I get the pressure gauge to know when they blow or burn out.

Also the way Marty has the fuel bracket and all mounted on the truck made it for a quick install for the pump. Only thing is make sure all fittings are tight before you turn the pump on LOL Forgot to tighten one down and got a nice little mist of diesel fuel.

Marty

Reaction score
Yeah you have the jic connections. Those are nice, but to suck the setup closer together i use orb/orb now. That is the only reason for the swap besides there is no change in widths so each bracket is premade and identical now.

Latest posts

Members online