well almost killed myself at the track today..

Dzchey21

Reaction score
set up is key on that, the way we launch against the converter also changes the way we should set them up, caltracs are really made to be set up for a transbrake. Once Dockboy figured this out his truck quit doing the half track hop

mike@haller's

Reaction score
you could run a set of DOT approved drag slicks that way you can swap the tires at home and drive on them to the strip.

but guys, doesn't the output shaft of the trans have to be changed to accept the transfer case or is that just the 4R100?

The output shaft and tail housing do need changed to go from 2wd to 4wd. Its easy to do though took tadd about 10 minutes to swap mine on my tailgate when I put the trans in mine.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
i put ouo's on haller's truck and the thing would not 60ft with drag radials. no matter what i tried.

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
I'll have to disagree there, atleast on a friends 2010 6.4 CCSB 4x4 it will hook like hell in 2wd with cal tracs, and this is pretty hard launches

my 7.3 worked best with cal trac's , the only other's i ran were pro comp though.

WoodBoy

Reaction score
my 7.3 worked best with cal trac's , the only other's i ran were pro comp though.

Yeah they made a believer out of me. While the shifts are improved some with the caltracs, they aren't completely gone like with frame mounted bars, so in a 4x4 application I would go with setups such as OUO, PMF, etc, but in a 2wd application you pretty much have to sacrifice that for being able to hook and I think caltracs are the best choice in a 2wd. But another thing is like Mike stated, getting adequate weight transfer

Reaction score
Well guys I think I found my solution! A member on here is willing to sell me everything I need so after that I think launch issues won't be a problem:rockon:
Maybe cheat like mike and Craig and run slicks all the way around FTW!!:rockon:

Dzchey21

Reaction score
i put ouo's on haller's truck and the thing would not 60ft with drag radials. no matter what i tried.

They really are two seperate devices imho

I still might try an asassin bar on my white truck (heavy duty caltrac)

Ghost

Reaction score
Properly set up Cal tracks are what you want.
As the tire starts to spin the diff turns up.
When this happens cal tracks have a triangular pivot that actually pulls back down on the front of the leaf. It's an actual science not a bar holding the diff solid.
I think the pinion / diff is supposed to be 1 deg lower than the transmission but it's all in the directions. They have super duty kits that is what you need on a 2wd. even with m&h you won't be able to launch 10psi but it will be better.

alradco

Reaction score
You can fit 16s but they are going to stick out. 16x14 with 2" back spacing
2012-09-01_17-06-14_520.jpg

That looks so badass! Where did you get the front mount flag? I want one of those, we go to the sand dunes 4 or 5 times a year. Sorry for the OT.

JDub

Reaction score
I am also a believer in caltracs on a 2wd. My truck didn't make that much power and would spin tires at will on shifts, enough that I'd have to lift to regain traction. After putting the caltracs it would only chirp tires on shifts.

That being said, I've also seen first hand what can go wrong if they aren't setup right on a 4wd truck. Zane's truck was a pogo stick 60-ft out...there is a pic of his rear tires a foot in the air.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dzchey21

Reaction score
please explain.

Properly set up Cal tracks are what you want.
As the tire starts to spin the diff turns up.
When this happens cal tracks have a triangular pivot that actually pulls back down on the front of the leaf. It's an actual science not a bar holding the diff solid.
I think the pinion / diff is supposed to be 1 deg lower than the transmission but it's all in the directions. They have super duty kits that is what you need on a 2wd. even with m&h you won't be able to launch 10psi but it will be better.

This explains most of it but a regular ouo or similar bar is just made to keep the axle from wrapping and causing a hop.

A Cal trac actually harnesses that wrap motion to help drive the axle and tires into the ground making the tires stick to the track it's all about leverage. Obviously there is some tuning and set up involved but they aren't designed to just hold the axle from turning.

There are a ton of cars running mono leafs and Cal tracs cutting 1.3 60 foots on both foot brake and trans brakes. I do agree that the operation. Of them isn't as good on heavy trucks. Assassin makes a nice much more heavy duty bar that personally I think would be better suited for a diesel. But like Haller said front shock set up is almost or more important than the rear esp with leafs

sootie

Reaction score
The output shaft and tail housing do need changed to go from 2wd to 4wd. Its easy to do though took tadd about 10 minutes to swap mine on my tailgate when I put the trans in mine.

is this it 5" section between the trans housing and transfer case?

also, is the steering box and pitman arm the same on 2wd and 4wd?

Jeff@Spartan

Reaction score
I never ran my 6.4 with Trevor's bars on it, so the only comparison I have at the track were with Pro Comp bars and CalTracs. The CalTracs were without a doubt better. I think anything on the market is probably better than what Pro Comp offers, but I could tell how effective the CalTracs were. Obviously this was a 4wd truck, but my experience with them was great. If I ever build a drag truck, I would probably go back to them or look into the bars Dustin brought up.

blk350on20s

Reaction score
That looks so badass! Where did you get the front mount flag? I want one of those, we go to the sand dunes 4 or 5 times a year. Sorry for the OT.

I made them. Let me know if you guys want any. I can have em machined up in a day

Latest posts

Members online