Went Back to a vgt.. review of kc 1.5 turbo

KCTurbos

Reaction score
factory :gethim:

The factory gauge only reads up to 40psi... to read higher you will have to get an aftermarket gauge plumbed in. I think people would be very surprised how high of ebp they run with some of these turbos.

Chatham036

Reaction score
The factory gauge only reads up to 40psi... to read higher you will have to get an aftermarket gauge plumbed in. I think people would be very surprised how high of ebp they run with some of these turbos.

I know... I know..... :(

I do want to say that I have read plus 40 psi EBP

Anyone know if the factory EBP sensor has the same thread as an aftermarket pressure sensor?

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I know... I know..... :(

I do want to say that I have read plus 40 psi EBP

Anyone know if the factory EBP sensor has the same thread as an aftermarket pressure sensor?

It reads 55 absolute... but only 40psi

Text coming your way

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
Hopefully the 364.5 + a RCD stage 2 + a ported into manifold will make for a fun to drive street truck capable of towing very occasionally.

******** tuning

Will report back once it is done.

Reaction score
Hopefully the 364.5 + a RCD stage 2 + a ported into manifold will make for a fun to drive street truck capable of towing very occasionally.

******** tuning

Will report back once it is done.

box s366 with WW2, Warren 190/75s with worn out spools, stock lift pump, no regulated return, Stage 1 cam, heavily ported heads makes 604HP and spools better than the 68MM VGT my truck used to have. And if I flash in my Hot Sauce file from Jay it barely smokes even if you drive like an angry teenage girl.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
box s366 with WW2, Warren 190/75s with worn out spools, stock lift pump, no regulated return, Stage 1 cam, heavily ported heads makes 604HP and spools better than the 68MM VGT my truck used to have. And if I flash in my Hot Sauce file from Jay it barely smokes even if you drive like an angry teenage girl.

That 68 you had must of been JUNK then. No way that box 366 comes anywhere close to whats todays SXE's in smaller form are capable of and people are still complaining of them.

I think the word spool has a different meaning to almost every driver

Reaction score
I call 2nd gear throttle only burnouts on 35s good spool.

I have yet to drive a truck with a big VGT that spools really any faster than a correctly setup T4. Boost leaks kill them though. I just put a 362sxe on a VP44 Cummins. First few pulls it ripped then started spooling slower and slower. Max boost was the same though. Add the tighten all intercooler boot clamps. Extra boost at stretched them out haha. Spool came back and stayed there.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
I call 2nd gear throttle only burnouts on 35s good spool.

I have yet to drive a truck with a big VGT that spools really any faster than a correctly setup T4. Boost leaks kill them though. I just put a 362sxe on a VP44 Cummins. First few pulls it ripped then started spooling slower and slower. Max boost was the same though. Add the tighten all intercooler boot clamps. Extra boost at stretched them out haha. Spool came back and stayed there.

You must not be driving good running trucks with well build VGT turbos. I would love to see that box s366 building boost at 1600-1800rpms while just cruising around smoke free... not gonna happen.

Rolling burnouts in second gear is cool... but while you are waiting for your truck to make it up to that speed, a properly build vgt turbo will be roasting its tires in 1st at 10-15mph. I am not trying talking trash, but you cant size/spec your way out of the fact that vgt turbos spool faster, its just science. That is kind of like saying a properly sized open housing will spool faster than divided, or even a journal bearing spooling faster than a dual ball bearing. Size for size... a vgt turbo will spool faster. Different stroke for different folks.

I agree with Derek... people must have different definitions for spool.

I had a customer that switched from vgt to a custom built SXE non-vgt turbo. His first impression was that the non-vgt turbo didn't really spool any slower. But had complaints that it smoked a lot more off the line, he struggled to do boosted launches, and the turbo often fell on its face a lot easier when trying to launch the truck. He had to go through lots of tune revisions, up the stall in his torque converter, and add some air flow mods to try and get it back to where it was.... still to this day he says the vgt turbo does not spool any faster than his non-vgt LOL... i guess we all have different definitions of spool up.

different strokes for different folks

Reaction score
You must not be driving good running trucks with well build VGT turbos. I would love to see that box s366 building boost at 1600-1800rpms while just cruising around smoke free... not gonna happen.

Rolling burnouts in second gear is cool... but while you are waiting for your truck to make it up to that speed, a properly build vgt turbo will be roasting its tires in 1st at 10-15mph. I am not trying talking trash, but you cant size/spec your way out of the fact that vgt turbos spool faster, its just science. That is kind of like saying a properly sized open housing will spool faster than divided, or even a journal bearing spooling faster than a dual ball bearing. Size for size... a vgt turbo will spool faster. Different stroke for different folks.

I agree with Derek... people must have different definitions for spool.

I had a customer that switched from vgt to a custom built SXE non-vgt turbo. His first impression was that the non-vgt turbo didn't really spool any slower. But had complaints that it smoked a lot more off the line, he struggled to do boosted launches, and the turbo often fell on its face a lot easier when trying to launch the truck. He had to go through lots of tune revisions, up the stall in his torque converter, and add some air flow mods to try and get it back to where it was.... still to this day he says the vgt turbo does not spool any faster than his non-vgt LOL... i guess we all have different definitions of spool up.

different strokes for different folks

I did a 6.0 for a customer a few months ago with your Stage 2 turbo and 190/75s. First set of tunes from GH made it a smokey mess off the line. Once it got into 2nd it ripped. Got him some tunes from Jay and it cleaned it up a ton, it spools pretty close to stock.

When I get a chance I'll send you that 68mm vgt I have.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I did a 6.0 for a customer a few months ago with your Stage 2 turbo and 190/75s. First set of tunes from GH made it a smokey mess off the line. Once it got into 2nd it ripped. Got him some tunes from Jay and it cleaned it up a ton, it spools pretty close to stock.

When I get a chance I'll send you that 68mm vgt I have.

FICM tuning goes a long way when it comes to properly setting up nozzles larger than 30%. Takes a little more witchcraft to do it without FICM tuning and make things work well together.

Jay has FICM tuning on his side and Bill behind the scenes, along with owning/driving a 6.0 of his own. Nothing against Jay obviously, he is great and we use them often, it's just a totally different way of tuning a 6.0 with larger nozzles compared to GH.

Between PHP and GH that makes up 100% of our 6.0 tuning and I can honestly say I've never had a scenario that either one couldn't make the truck run perfect with a couple revisions.

Reaction score
FICM tuning goes a long way when it comes to properly setting up nozzles larger than 30%. Takes a little more witchcraft to do it without FICM tuning and make things work well together.

Jay has FICM tuning on his side and Bill behind the scenes, along with owning/driving a 6.0 of his own. Nothing against Jay obviously, he is great and we use them often, it's just a totally different way of tuning a 6.0 with larger nozzles compared to GH.

Between PHP and GH that makes up 100% of our 6.0 tuning and I can honestly say I've never had a scenario that either one couldn't make the truck run perfect with a couple revisions.

Now if only we had those Insight Pros.....

Chatham036

Reaction score

Having a mentor like Bill to learn how to tune from has proven to be invaluable.

Would certainly be a huge selling point.

Software and firmware is finished. We have a working prototype in hand.

This is going to hit to market like wild fire! We have very excited.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Having a mentor like Bill to learn how to tune from has proven to be invaluable.

I know everyone hates this question... but let me know if you need any testers :)

slc6oh

Reaction score
ill touch on the spool up of the 62, while ill say it started making boost just as fast, as the current vgt, its just a chore to keep on top of it trying to tow. now, with the vgt. the engine just seems to do the work. less "babysitting" from me i feel like. but, havent hooked the toy hauler up on the new vgt charger. im gonna drag it out to the sand dunes next weekend, and ill report back.

i know my buddies 68mm vgt on 190/30s, while the the egts are toasty quick, it seems to stay on top of the charger easier than my 62 did.

im still more than impressed with this 1.5 . . thing stays cool, runs plenty strong, and hardly ever smokes. ill take it.

slc6oh

Reaction score
That is similar to my experience with my s364.5, except maybe just a little laggier. It would just barely start building boost around 1800rpms, if I pushed it hard with the tq converter locked then I could get maybe 5psi at 2000rpms, once I got above 2200rpms it would really start to come alive.

The main issue I would run into is I dont tow at 80mph, I am usually around 65mph which puts me at about 1900rpms and the s364.5 would basically do nothing at that point unless I smoke out the cars behind me to push the turbo to get it to lite.

Also when just daily driving around town I don't spend much time above 2200rpms, in normal driving with heavy traffic I rarely see above 2000rpms. So I would basically putt putt around with 0-2psi of boost all day having to take it easy so I don't smoke out traffic. Now find me an open road with no traffic and open her up and it would bring a smile to my face... but that does not happen very often in a big city.

Switching back to VGT is an awesome feeling... I forgot what it was like to see 5psi at 1500rpms and already be at 15-20psi by 2000rpms with no smoke and no issues. It makes daily driving so much more enjoyable IMO.

THIS! something about towing 12-13k bumper pull at 80 just makes my butthole pucker.

Reaction score

448.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.