What are you getting for mpg

Patoka

Reaction score
I have a 2000 zf6 with 4.10 gears and 33s with a dp tuner exhaust and an intake and I'm only getting about 300 miles to a tank. I've changed the oil to t6 and I baby the truck most the time... wHays everyone getting for mpg? And anyone have any hopeful hints that can gain me a few more mpg

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
You can try dieselkleen or tw-3 2troke oil in the fuel, some say it works for them, i won't confirm that unless injectors are old and tired out (like my stocks with 325k on em :D ). Most mpg threads I've read suggest that the 80 economy tunes are about the best you can get, again others state the 100 or 120 power tunes. Keep your joints greased and front end aligned and go with it, not much more you can do.

Patoka

Reaction score
Im not asking for 25mpg or anything i just dont think the 12mpg i was getting was very normal. W.e the money doesnt bother me, just wanted to know what people were getting.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
Im not asking for 25mpg or anything i just dont think the 12mpg i was getting was very normal. W.e the money doesnt bother me, just wanted to know what people were getting.
That gear doesn't help, but I'm only averaging 14.5 in town. If you want more capacity drop the tank and cut the filler neck and vent up close to the top of the tank, I can get 31 gal in my short bed and over 400 miles to a tank

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Muskrat

Reaction score
I've had my E99 with 200K for about 2 months and been watching MPGs closely. Each tank I would drive the truck a different way. 80 miles round trip, about 35 of that is highway. Computer and hand calculated, here is what I found.

If I drive my normal route while keeping up with traffic then MPGs will be 13-14. That's running with traffic in town and doing 70-72 on the hwy.

If I do the speed limits (35-45 city, 65 hwy) but still drive normal it gets high 15 MPG.

If I'm easy on the throttle in town and not exceed 63 on the highway it will get into 18 MPG.

On a trip to the coast where the terrain was flat, few stop light and speed limit at 45 mph the truck was averaging 20+ mpg.

The biggest killer seems to be stop and go on a cold engine. I let it warm up in the morning for a couple minutes but it's not really good and hot for another 10 minutes. So a 15 minute commute into town would probably yield 11-12 MPGs.

Bearded7point3pilot

Reaction score
Yea I'd have to agree the rear end gear is effecting it, I've talked to guys claiming 22+ with the DP tuner. My stock 01 gets roughly 300 miles to the tank. I believe the short bed has a 28 gal the long bed has a 36+ (someone feel free to correct me??). What tune do you Ron?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arisley

Reaction score
The long beds and the duallys have a 38. Gearing and tire size is killing you.

The best way you are going to get the best mileage is keep RPM's below 2000 RPM. Everyday driving with my truck, keeping the max speed around 65. City streets and freeway, I will see about 17. On long trips, I will get over 20 if I keep it below 65. Drove from Downtown Fort Worth to Lubbock, stayed the night, drove to our stores there the next day, stayed the night and back to Downtown Fort Worth the next day. On one tank of fuel. Granted, before I left Fort Worth, I filled up my truck to the point that I squished a little bit out when I put the fuel cap on it.

Drove in my Tow tune, and paid attention to the RPM's.

I am driving a little Dodge Durango right now for work. With a 4.7 V8 in it. Sucky performance, 15 MPG everyday driving. Now when I get on a long trip, it does a lot better, at 75 MPH, she sips the fuel. Drove from Fort Worth to Frankston (south of Tyler) all freeway and got almost 30 MPG.

ja_cain

Reaction score
Just like Arisley said, keep rpms below 2000 and you will see fuel economy improve alot. Big tires will kill you too. I'll probably never run anything bigger than a 33" since it hurts economy and performance. The switch from summer to winter fuel will hurt it too, as I think the cetane rating goes down with the anti-gel additives. I can get around 19 mpg with 30/70 mix of city/highway in the summer. Also check exhaust back pressure tube to see if it is plugged up with soot/gunk. It has been known to significantly hurt milage. Should be able to pick up on this with a scanner.

Oh, and a dragging/stuck caliper will put a hurtin on your milage too.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bluedge8

Reaction score
I have 4:10's also, I average 13 - 15 with 35's and not correcting for the missing miles due to speedo reading slow.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

mandkole

Reaction score
I don't pay attention to mileage, but when I do, LOL

the stop/go commuter routes drive mileage down to below 15. The solid highway is 18-20. Its worse in the winter.

Northwoods2002

Reaction score
I drive a 30 mile, one way, route to work every day. The first and last 1.5 miles is 'in city'(25-35mph) the rest highway(68-71mph). With 325k on stock injectors, PHP 80 daily tune I'm seeing 16-17mpg on a 38 gallon tank.

ToMang07

Reaction score
I average 15 +/- 1 normal driving through back roads and hills.(Normal = Driving like a maniac) That's with 315-75-16E Duratracs.

I'll get close to 18mpg on the highway as long as I keep the RPMs under 2,000.

Done 550 miles on a tank, too.

aceltx

Reaction score
I got 33x12.5x18 gtp38r and AFE new sealed intake system, ts6 chip, on my 50hp tow tune I get 19mpg doing 70-75 on long highway trip. When driving highway and around town im at 13-15mpg's. When i first got truck it wasnt getting that. I put all the things on I mentioned, also new EBPS and EBPS tube. Also make sure air pressure in tire is not low, and have an alignment done. I bet if I set the cruise at 65 i could get 20-25, I always start the trip out like that but it gets boring after an hour and I always end up speeding up.

Latest posts

Members online