what to buy 6.4 or lbz?

caleb90

Reaction score
I know this is a ford forum but i figured id ask, im stuck between two trucks an 08 6.4 and a 07 lbz.the ford is an xl eclb 6spd power windows mirrors bench seat,but the truck comes with a whole new interior has aftermarket rims and tires and a spare motor needs to be rebuilt.body has 132k on it origional motor popped at 129k the new motor was bought used with 60k and beforr installed it was tuned and deleted and had a dual disc clutch installed.the chev is a ccsb completely 100% bone stock besides tires with 132 k on the clock.there both very clean trucks but the issues with the fords have me worry some.the truck is going to be a play toy might see 10-15 k miles a year and might tow once in a while.yes i know a gasser would be better but i tride it and hated it, dont ever buy a nissan titan fyi..let me know what you think guys

RSK

Reaction score
so you want to build power with the truck? I'd say the 6.4 is gonna more power cheaper. what are your goals.

Clifford_6.4

Reaction score
It really depends on what your wanting to do. Do you want to make power/go fast or a mudding street truck or what.. if you want to go fast go with the lbz only because it's a auto. Most of the stuff that happens to the 6.4s is do to how you drive it.

caleb90

Reaction score
The powerstroke already has enough done, it has sparton tuning 60-310 and the digital gauges..the chev i would keep it mild maybe an edge evo and transgo jr to keep the tranny alive, the ally is a pricey beast to upgrade.like i said its just going to be a play toy but nothing serious my main conceren is reliability.i know my way around a motor but popping the hood on the 6.4 is scary i dont think there is one place you could drop a 8mm socket and have it hit the ground.plus the cost of what should be simple repairs is stupid.but i love fords so i have a soft spot for em

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
if those two trucks were my ONLY choices, I would pick the LBZ because it's an auto and it hasn't been whored out and blown up already...

and this is coming from a guy who pretty much detests Dmax trucks :eek:

caleb90

Reaction score
The first 6.4 motor lost an injector tip while idling in the guys drive way, motor ran away and kaboom

caleb90

Reaction score
Im in upstate ny trying to find a clean late modle truck cheap is damn near impossible..the powerstroke is in ohio and the dmax is in va. So im going to be driving 8hrs for either one.if these trucks were in my area and this clean they would be going for more

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Great googly! :eek:

I'm hoping to get $23k out of my 08 CCSB 4x4 Lariat that's completely loaded to the gills with less thann 116k miles! LOL

I honestly wouldn't give more than $14-15k for the Ford. The LBZ could make you some money if it's clean and unmolested. a loaded out LTZ will fetch high 20's/low 30's easy in the right market. even with the miles.

YMMV

caleb90

Reaction score
What the hell i thought they were good deals, theres half rotted out 2nd gen dodges up here that go for 10-12g .the dmax isnt a ltz it has cloth seats but has power windows power seats ect

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
Prices are high up in your neck of the woods, that's for sure. I have a buddy in PA, and the prices they pay for trucks is ridiculous. We've talked about moving trucks up there to sell for years now, but I've only got so much fire for all these irons :(

caleb90

Reaction score
I was also looking at a second gen (01) cummins 146k slt injectors lift pump wheels tires and full billit tranny for 15g buck that seems a little pricey to me

sootie

Reaction score
i would check the classifieds on here. mildly modded 6.4s seems to sell for reasonable cheep.

caleb90

Reaction score
I looked in the classifieds but the trucks in my price range had high miles.over 160k

caleb90

Reaction score
Any one else have any thing to say? All i really found out is that trucks are over priced in my area

Clifford_6.4

Reaction score
If it was me I'd get the 6.4 you'll have fun with the 6 speed so get in and ride if your worrying about it breaking don't push it to the limits and slowly build the extra motor you have so when the time comes you can swap them

sootie

Reaction score
here are some quick pros and cons:

the good:

big power potential
lots of aftermarket support
some parts (eg tuner) already with the truck
roomy interiors,
robust trucks

the bad:

fuel economy
truck sounds like it was beat to hell
requires work to become drivable
manual transmissions wont shift fast, evah
potential for catastrophic failures (block, fuel system, pistons etc)

The good:

they get good mileage,
tunes are cheap,
the truck is unmolested
quite reliable in stock form,

the bad,
allisons dont like much power over stock
TC requires immediate upggrade
ifs front ends suck. period.
holding 600hp on stock rods is difficult
interiors are cramped if you are a big dude,
chebbies are frought with little electrical gremlins that piss me off to no end (power window stops working, dash lights go out, seat heaters short out)

basically, i wouldn't buy either of the trucks. you need something you can get a history on. i have had both trucks also fyi

caleb90

Reaction score
The chebby has all the service history with it, the guy id be buying it from is the second owner and he bought it from some one he knew personally.the ford on the other hand is on it third owner, and all i know about it is what the current owner knows. Now i have found another truck of possible intrest 08 cummins with twins injectors and a full ats trans with 103k on the clock. Seems interesting but my 05 cummins i had liked to spit injectors so not shure how the new 6.7 is. On the 6.4 problems it seems like you dont have to beat on em to have problems pop up, they can do it with normall maintenance and care.

Latest posts

Members online