What's Everyone's Thoughts On A High Miles 6.4

GreenMachine

Reaction score
My buddy was looking at new trucks today and while walking through the service bays a tech told him that the piston issues seem to be from maintenance issues. He was in the middle of sticking a new 6.4 in a company truck. He said too many people are going by mileage when in reality they should be going by hours because these trucks sit and idle for so long on job sites and what not.

Just something to think about

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Idk, I hope I never have to deal with it but I am just going by the number of cracked pistons seen on here, and as you know most people on this site stay on top of their maintenance.

alradco

Reaction score
Low teens for a 6.4? Are these beat up work trucks or trucks in good shape? I need to expand where I'm looking.

Cory@RPHC

Reaction score
Mine for 15 is a clean truck. Cclb f350 4x4. Its an xl with all power and converted front end. Was owned by member on here

TyCorr

Reaction score
You can get eclb around here for 25-30, model irregardless. Only other used 6.4 Uve seen was a 10 ccsb for 42, marked down to 38 with 42k miles. Lariat. No thanks.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
I just picked up a ccsb xlt with 250k and bone stock for 12.5. Delete the dpf and changed all the fluids and I love it, rides so nice compared to all the rclb's I've had

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Low teens for a 6.4? Are these beat up work trucks or trucks in good shape? I need to expand where I'm looking.

The 6.4 im picking up is in good condition is a job 3 08 black CCSB lariat. interior is in good shape.

It has 250,000 miles clean carfax no dents nice exterior

stroker96

Reaction score
Mine has 206k miles and had a clean carfax and oasis. Clean truck and been taken care of but the truth is those few things aren't life savers. As my truck is getting a new motor as we speak. A blown head gasket lead to a cracked piston to cracked heads...

sootie

Reaction score
Mine has 206k miles and had a clean carfax and oasis. Clean truck and been taken care of but the truth is those few things aren't life savers. As my truck is getting a new motor as we speak. A blown head gasket lead to a cracked piston to cracked heads...

how do you figure

stroker96

Reaction score
how do you figure

I meant that I found out it had a blown head gasket. So while the cab was up i was going to stud it and etc.. Then when the heads came off is when the real damage was found.. It was and is a snowball affect for me now. Just kept finding more an more the deeper they got into it. I should have been more clear!! My bad!!

TyCorr

Reaction score
My buddy Nick got a 09 with 255k on it for 16. He drove it a month and had to buy a motor rebuild at 8k dollars. One of the turbos **** after that. The drivers seat had a hole rubbed in tye leather. I gave him a.number to a place that would do all four capt.chairs in leather, front and back, for 1500 shipped. He paid 490 for just thebottom.cover from ford. Then it didnt match. 2800$ later a new ford interior and it matches. Electrical issues. The reverse lights stopped working. Etc....hes got 35 grand into a piece of shti.truck. No thanks.

Other buddy bought a 08 cclb lariate with 55k on it for damn near 40grand three years ago. Driving to Missouri pulling his demo derby truck with it and the sumbitsh ate a piston. Stock truck, no exhaust, no tuning, no air intake. Boner stock.

I tend to think.ill keep.my distance from those trucks.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
In other words tycorr is biased. One buddy spend way too much, and the other is really unlucky. The problems with these trucks are really well documented but so are the solutions. The way I look at it no matter what you have to spend the money to fix the issues, so my main goal would be to buy a truck with a nice clean body and tight suspension for the best price. Some go with 50k and some go well past 200 so mileage isn't the best indicator.

I love my 6.4, but if it died tomorrow I bet you I wouldn't love it nearly as much.

suprdzlduty

Reaction score
Just bought one outta Florida with over 800k on it...just bought it outta curiosity more then anything else...lol. I'm sure it's had a motor put in at some point...

01wj

Reaction score
Just bought one outta Florida with over 800k on it...just bought it outta curiosity more then anything else...lol. I'm sure it's had a motor put in at some point...

?!? 800k? And I am about to hit 60k and that is a lot for me. Pics?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.