Which Batteries are you running

Spatel23

Reaction score
Had a set of optima yellow tops and they are by far the worst battery I've ever had.

Replaced them with diehard platinums and am much happier. Supposedly they are just relabeled odyssey batteries which is great

BBottoms

Reaction score
The pos autozone red top batts.

I worked at Autozone for 3 years in college and the red tops were much more likely to come back than the gold/yellow top. There actually is a significant difference in quality for the price on those. Gold/yellow tops seemed to be pretty reliable and we rarely saw any warranty returns on them.

Last edited:

BBottoms

Reaction score
Had a set of optima yellow tops and they are by far the worst battery I've ever had.

Replaced them with diehard platinums and am much happier. Supposedly they are just relabeled odyssey batteries which is great

People always look at me weird when I say that I never have had luck with Optimas, but it's true. I've have killed at least 5 different Optimas, red and yellow, and none of them have lasted near as long as a standard battery. I understand they are durable in the sense that they can take a beating and be turned on the side or upside down, but they aren't very reliable long term in my experience, especially for what you pay.

Jarrod B

Reaction score
I worked at Autozone for 3 years in college and the red tops were much more likely to come back than the gold/yellow top. There actually is a significant difference in quality for the price on those. Gold/yellow tops seemed to be pretty reliable and we rarely say any warranty returns on them.

Well the truck came with them and haven't needed to replace yet. However my previous trucks I've owned and some of the cars I've repaired, I have installed the gold tops in it's place. Ya overall I have been happy with those so far.

BBottoms

Reaction score
Well the truck came with them and haven't needed to replace yet. However my previous trucks I've owned and some of the cars I've repaired, I have installed the gold tops in it's place. Ya overall I have been happy with those so far.

If you do have a problem with them under their warranty period, they will generally let you exchange them for the gold tops for the difference in price.

713Diesel

Reaction score
I never had luck with Optima's either. The one good thing I can say is that they kept on giving me free replacements but that really doesn't help me when I have to be somewhere and my damn truck won't crank.

I am surprised that I am the first one to say this but I have been really happy with the Ford batteries. My stockers lasted 4 years so I figured why not look into the Ford replacements. Much to my surprise they came with a great warranty. 3 year free replacement and then it is prorated for 100 months. I figured you can beat that. I will say they are pricey at 120 ea I think is what I paid but that is money well spent in my book.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
I worked at Autozone for 3 years in college and the red tops were much more likely to come back than the gold/yellow top. There actually is a significant difference in quality for the price on those. Gold/yellow tops seemed to be pretty reliable and we rarely saw any warranty returns on them.

Sounds just like me. I am in college and have worked at AutoZone for 3 years LOL

If you do have a problem with them under their warranty period, they will generally let you exchange them for the gold tops for the difference in price.

That is true. At least for the store I work at it is.

BBottoms

Reaction score
Sounds just like me. I am in college and have worked at AutoZone for 3 years LOL

That is true. At least for the store I work at it is.

The difference is when I was working there (graduated in 2005) a 65 series gold top was about $80... now it's $140!!

713Diesel

Reaction score
The difference is when I was working there (graduated in 2005) a 65 series gold top was about $80... now it's $140!!

Wow........ Man now you got me thinking about how much cheaper stuff was in 05 besides batteries.......

fordfreak4life

Reaction score
I don't think you would save much after shipping. He just sells local, mainly sells 8Ds.
cheap Walmart batteries here arr 87 a peice.... The John Deere batts I was running were 143 a piece n lasted a year n a half
Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

Cppr Busa

Reaction score
I bought the Diehard platinums. I am very happy with them!

When I looked into getting batteries I did a little online research and it seems to me optimas arent what they used to be in the quality department.

Smokyred

Reaction score
I never had luck with Optima's either. The one good thing I can say is that they kept on giving me free replacements but that really doesn't help me when I have to be somewhere and my damn truck won't crank.

I am surprised that I am the first one to say this but I have been really happy with the Ford batteries. My stockers lasted 4 years so I figured why not look into the Ford replacements. Much to my surprise they came with a great warranty. 3 year free replacement and then it is prorated for 100 months. I figured you can beat that. I will say they are pricey at 120 ea I think is what I paid but that is money well spent in my book.

I really like the Ford batteries as well. I've had 3 sets in my trucks that were 8-9 years old before being replaced, and the original set from my '97 are still in another PSD. They aren't cheap but the warranty is great if I ever even need it!

Dave

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I'm running CAT batteries... 850cca's. They seem to hold up pretty well. When ever I need to put new ones in any of our trucks I always get these and theyve been great, and pricing at $115 per battery with no core charge.

HOOV3R

Reaction score
cheap Walmart batteries here arr 87 a peice.... The John Deere batts I was running were 143 a piece n lasted a year n a half
Sent from my Milestone X2 using Tapatalk 2

I'm running transcontinentals. They're made by battery giant, the maker of deka etc... I've been running them for 4 years now, and haven't had a single issue.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
The stock ones.
But the truck is not a daily driver either, so when it gets driven it is usually 50 miles or more. So the start and stop is not killing them. My 04 I had AC Delco's. Did good I guess. I never had a problem with them in any other car. My father owns a shop so I get a pretty good discount. When the ones in the dually go bad most likely Costco brand deep cycles. They have lasted great in my Toyhauler.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.