white smoke no power

mandkole

Reaction score
The 3 inj failures is more likely due to harness issues. Poor compression could cause a poor cct test result but likely not on 3 cyls. Checking compression is good to do because it will tell you whether you should keep spending money on it.
You must keep learning and that requires fixing some stuff that's likely broke then going to the next issue.

Stay focused on fixing the harnesses and glow plugs/ relay for now. When they are done report back.

Arisley

Reaction score
No, injectors failing a buzz test has nothing to do with compression.

All that injectors failing tells you, is that there is no electrical connection between the injectors and the IDM. With three of them failing, just throw some UVCH's at it. 1, 3, and 7 are all on the same side. You can just replace that UVCH and go from there. Ohm out the valve cover gaskets, if you have good paths through the gaskets, you won't have to replace them. After that, you may still have to replace injectors. However, all it may need is UVCH and gaskets. Possibly the harness ends on the outside of the valve covers. You can buy those and replace them without replacing the entire engine harness.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Couple of questions.Do I need new gaskets for my vcs?I didn't order any becauSe I thought they were reuseable.I looked@mine & they seem good.Also when my truck left the shop I had em leave the vc off because I was gonna replace.So haven't looked at it much but how do i swap them out just unplug from the side of the valve cover does the wire run to each injector and GP? Just now ordered glow plugs because the other company and yet to send them and they just shipped my harness which I ordered last Monday or so

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
this is what I'm trying to figure out,I believe there's supposed to be some kind of shIms.I looked &didnt see any.Am I missing something? My part's will be here in the morning and I'm ready to get rockin on this thing.

mandkole

Reaction score
If the clips on the harness plugs are not damaged and everything still fits tight, nothing more is required. However, if they are, the small shims can help. You'll know when it's going back together. Plug everything back together and fire it up while the VCs are off. Take a vid if possible.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
First off I'm using talk to text or whatever you call it so please forgive me if this comes out weird I was dropping a motor in a project with my buddy& while I was moving it around the cherry picker failed$
&landed on my hand.What happened next to free my hand was pretty gnarly. ..some 1940s mans man type of way.Ill spare you the details.Anyways so I finally got the correct harness & I noticed when the guy who works for me in the bodyshop pulled it that it had no breaks no chaffing etc.
So Im worried it is indeed # 1#3and #7 injectors.I looked over the paperwork the shop gave me when they diagnosed it& simply says that 1,3&7 failed the buzz Test.And that the harness on that side was almost all the way unplugged& when they went to plug it back in it broke.
So seems the harness look perfect more than likely I'm going to need to replace the injectors right? If so that's gonna suck.Well tomorrow before I put the valve covers back on can't I run the truck without them to see of its running fine? What I'm wondering as with the intercooler pipes removed can I run it like that at idle so I can see how it starts sounds? Also how can I inspect those three injectors while it's running to see if fuel is coming out of them? Thanks fellas.
2014-10-31-17-19-09-1.png

Arisley

Reaction score
Yes, you can start it and run it. Don't do it for very long. And fix that air box. 6637 filter is your good inexpensive way out.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
If the uvch connections were almost completely unplugged, that's more than likely where your injector failures are coming from, even if the harness looked like it was in good shape. Change the harnesses and see if codes for injectors return. How bad is your fuel pump leaking? I would address that issue.

mandkole

Reaction score
The repair shop's diagonsis was discussed a couple weeks ago. Lets make some progress. There are few ways that an injector would not pass buzz. You should be able to make all of them buzz whether they are good or not.

1) No electrical power to the injector. Check wiring, harnesses, plugs, etc. This is likely the issue.

2) All 3 injectors all have very loose armature screws. If loose, the armature lifts to the solenoid magnet and stays there. I've seen a few injectors do this but three on the same bank, on same truck is not likely.

3) Broken poppet spring-- not likely

4) Bad solenoid -- not likely on 3 of them

Repair and confirm that you have electrical power to the injectors.

Last edited:

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
Were getting ready 2 pull the vcs back off.I came out&my guy had it all back together. So I didn't get to check a thing.We tryd 2 start it&it would crank&crank & shake violently. With white smoke coming from the exhaust but it would never fire.Before it would fire&idle.Were about to pull the vcs& check it out.

cutthroatxxx

Reaction score
we couldn't ever get it to start so we didn't pull the valve cover. It was cranking crane and then times it would sound like it was dead in the motor wouldn't turn over what I don't get this before it was starting

Latest posts

Members online