Who has actually blown headgaskets in gear heads race tune?

MINK

Reaction score
It's a gamble...I say go ahead and run it.

Mine arnt blown, I was just adding some comedy...atleast they better not be !

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
my Job 2 service truck has been running his race tune for a good 30-40k... prior to that it ran HD300 for 50k. truck weighs 10,000lbs

my Job 1 I noticed a little tear-dropping as somebody so eloquently put it... But the truck had never been run hard. Might just be the coolant level finding its happy spot. Same thing happened on my service truck after we did thermostats on it. Once it found its happy level in the jug, it hasn't tear-dropped since. We'll see LOL

bottom line is life's too short not to run Matt's race tune! :D

RSK

Reaction score
Hit the main menue key, top left. Then select "set defuels". Set your pyrometer 1 at 1450 degrees. Set boost pressure at, ooh, say 40 psi. Cold coolant temp at 180 degrees. Hot coolant at like 220 degrees. There's a start.. Obviously you can run more boost, hotter EGTs and so on so forth but it won't live as long..

I run an sct 3015c much more basic programmer don't think i have those options. but that is a good idea if i ran h&s.

I think it's hit or miss honestly. My job 1, I ran it on the hd300 tune daily till I sold it at 150k miles. Never had any issues, I did have the weekly light to light wot runs and hammering it on the on ramps to the highways. She was good to me, factory head bolts, no mods besides cai exhaust egr and dpf deletes

once my truck is warmed i get on it daily, not wide open necessarily but peg the factory boost gauge every day, once its up to operating temps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my Job 2 service truck has been running his race tune for a good 30-40k... prior to that it ran HD300 for 50k. truck weighs 10,000lbs

my Job 1 I noticed a little tear-dropping as somebody so eloquently put it... But the truck had never been run hard. Might just be the coolant level finding its happy spot. Same thing happened on my service truck after we did thermostats on it. Once it found its happy level in the jug, it hasn't tear-dropped since. We'll see LOL

is the difference really that big between the hot street and race tune? I know it is more power, but think it will be noticeable? I plan to get studs in late spring or summer anyways so the race tune is going in either way. its just a matter of when. also do you know if the job 1 10's had stronger head bolts from the factory or they are all the exact same strength.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
There are no job 1 2010's. job 1's are early 08's. all 2010 are job 3's. they is no difference in the bolts. But iirc there was another layer added to the gasket for the job 2 run.

RSK

Reaction score
There are no job 1 2010's. job 1's are early 08's. all 2010 are job 3's. they is no difference in the bolts. But iirc there was another layer added to the gasket for the job 2 run.

thanks for that little bit of info, so essentially my headgasket is a little stronger.

Fordtrucks

Reaction score
The way I hear it, a lot of early job 1s had 6.0 gaskets. That could explain why a lot of them pop right away.. My Buddy blew his right away with HD 300 where my job 2 held Gearhead till I did studs and never blew.

Csilva187

Reaction score

What's your point? "Happy"

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
My point is I've had zero problems with his race tunes on either of my Job 2's (including one that's very heavy and getting up there in miles (185k and counting)

My Job 1 remains to be seen if I'll have a problem, but it's not going to stop me from running the race tune. It's too good not to, and I'll just deal with whatever comes with it.

Stroked777

Reaction score
I have a job 1 and my gaskets lasted about 20k before it started puking above 42 psi. That was with a mix of hd300 and kem310 and 345

Also if it's the case that job ones had 6.0 hg you can't blame it on that being the reason the blow. People still use oem gaskets for stud jobs on the 6.0. The gaskets weren't the problem to them popping

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
I don't think it really matters who's tuning... The gaskets will eventually go if you run it hard.

My lasted till 95,000 and 35,000 of that was tuned with gearhead race either mcc or sct

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

OBS F350

Reaction score
The way I hear it, a lot of early job 1s had 6.0 gaskets. That could explain why a lot of them pop right away.. My Buddy blew his right away with HD 300 where my job 2 held Gearhead till I did studs and never blew.

Did the factory just waller out the holes for the head bolts then I'm guessing? LOL

My 08 job 2 ran a mix of hot street/race hard for 15k miles with no problems. It definitely felt stronger on race.

swinky

Reaction score
Are the holes in 6.0 gaskets even big enough for 6.4 headbolts/studs?

No. 6.0 guys would obviously be running 6.4 gaskets if they were stronger and interchangeable. Different bore and stud size.

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

6.4 Stroker

Reaction score
6.0 gaskets?
Dam Kyle, you've had some crazy luck with that pickup.

No doubt, since I've bought her I've blown head gaskets twice, cracked the heads, torn the center out of my flex plate, lost the stock low pressure turbo, replaced weak LPFP, cracked a piston, and now a trans.
Funny thing is I drive the thing like a gramps most of its life. Getting rather expensive...

powerstroked08

Reaction score
No doubt, since I've bought her I've blown head gaskets twice, cracked the heads, torn the center out of my flex plate, lost the stock low pressure turbo, replaced weak LPFP, cracked a piston, and now a trans.
Funny thing is I drive the thing like a gramps most of its life. Getting rather expensive...

Wow, sh!tty luck, thats for sure!

Latest posts

Members online