Why Does a Wicked Wheel......

TyCorr

Reaction score
You'd have to hear it in person. I don't think a video would do it justice.

True..a 38r will wail like crazy in a video, which is what they are known for, yet that is only a small portion of what you hear from them.

Does the GQxxx sound different than a H2E? Because Ive heard those before on a PS.

Talyn

Reaction score
It's not a selling point to me.

Though, I do like the unique sound of it, its just a nice turbo.

Use the right product for the application.

Big Bore

Reaction score
I am so sick of the noise from the 38r. Someone on PSN summed it up, it's like a whiny woman, that bytch just wont shut the ***k up. I've been trying to figure out the best way to insulate the noise from the cab. First time my MIL rode in the truck, she literally thought a plane was crashing near/on us.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I am so sick of the noise from the 38r. Someone on PSN summed it up, it's like a whiny woman, that bytch just wont shut the ***k up. I've been trying to figure out the best way to insulate the noise from the cab. First time my MIL rode in the truck, she literally thought a plane was crashing near/on us.

lmao! i bet that was a fun ride. you could always go back to a enclosed airbox!

Charles

Reaction score
The ses from overboost is easy to cure in the tuning. Matt at Gearhead did the legwork for me and after a phone conversation with him my 550 has no boost fooler and never sets the light. It set the light every time I went WOT before I made the change. The PCM doesn't care about overboost anymore. It's the correct way to address the issue. I don't know why it took so long for us to get there. I guess nobody focused on it.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
I tend to think alot of surge must have to do with tuning otherwise why do some have it and others do not running the same parts. I never once had surge. But I have ridden in for all intensive purposes identical vehicle model and parts setups that have had it bad like is being mentioned here with not being able to go over 3/4 throttle

Neither of my trucks had surge - even pushing near 30psi with good tunes and crappy tunes. Someone explained to me the differences are likely related to the casting of the housing(s). Stock is about .84... but if its actually a little tighter - then ya get surge out of an otherwise identical truck.

That said, we put a 1.0 exhaust housing on a truck with BAD surge and it made it better - but did not 'fix' it. 'Live tuning' could not fix it either...

I find the 38R/6637 utterly obnoxious when towing. When I put a 'big' turbo on the X, I'm gonna throw the AIS in front of 38R. If that doesn't make it tolerable, I will probably look for a different charger. I drive 50-70k/yr and frankly the added fatigue from all that racket after a 12-14hr day in the cab SUCKS.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Neither of my trucks had surge - even pushing near 30psi with good tunes and crappy tunes. Someone explained to me the differences are likely related to the casting of the housing(s). Stock is about .84... but if its actually a little tighter - then ya get surge out of an otherwise identical truck.

That said, we put a 1.0 exhaust housing on a truck with BAD surge and it made it better - but did not 'fix' it. 'Live tuning' could not fix it either...

I find the 38R/6637 utterly obnoxious when towing. When I put a 'big' turbo on the X, I'm gonna throw the AIS in front of 38R. If that doesn't make it tolerable, I will probably look for a different charger. I drive 50-70k/yr and frankly the added fatigue from all that racket after a 12-14hr day in the cab SUCKS.

Thuglike did a great writeup on dynamatting the cab and using foam to fill voids that cant be reached with sheet material. He's had pretty good results form what I remember. A set of excursion, under-dash panels to isolate even more noise and you'd not care if there were a marching band under the hood.

You drive 50-70k/yr?:jawdrop: Id be more unnerved by the sound of tires wearing out. LOL

I put the stock box/filter out in front of the 38r and its completely quiet. Something to keep in mind. I havent found the air cleaner in my 2000 to be junk as long as the tabs arent broke on the airbox and you use a motorcraft filter.

TrailerHauler

Reaction score

Unless you were to swap one of these factory garrett 38's on one of your trucks that doesn't surge, onto a 7.3 that had surge and cure the surge problem, I don't believe a miniscule casting difference is going to result in surge or no surge.

SkySki Jason

Reaction score
Unless you were to swap one of these factory garrett 38's on one of your trucks that doesn't surge, onto a 7.3 that had surge and cure the surge problem, I don't believe a miniscule casting difference is going to result in surge or no surge.

Good point. Then what is different from one truck to another? If I put my old stock charger that never surged in my truck with stock injectors or 175cc single-shots on a truck with nasty surge on stock sticks, would it surge?

The same PSD guru who told me he thought the surge was due to casting differences also said a Ford factory tech told him they pulled as many as 1 in 20 engines off the line because 'they made too much HP'. I dunno how much stock to put in all that, but I've never heard a better explanation. If all the tolerances line up in your favor, you got a factory hot rod, but if they are all at the minimum, ya got a factory turd. I can say after monitoring ICP on a number of trucks, its amazing how much better an 'all stock' truck that holds 2800psi runs than one that only makes 2100psi. Could this be from factory tolerances as well?

Isn't surge generally blamed on excessive drive pressure? What other variation could there be from one engine to the next that could affect that?

Talyn

Reaction score
Surge is when the turbo cannot pull anymore air though the intake.

I've heard it explained with excessive drive pressure as well though, which I spose could be true.

Basically the turbo is going so fast, it cannot spool anymore air, so it coughs, or surges.

Thats why the bigger housings stop this issue, they allow more air to the turbo.

And why the OBS wheel stops it as well, due to it being less aggressive on pulling air.

Never sure why they called it surge. there really is no "surge" in power, or what not.
Hell. I've made my OBS surge with stock turbo.
It's actually really annoying.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Surge is when the turbo cannot pull anymore air though the intake.

I've heard it explained with excessive drive pressure as well though, which I spose could be true.

Basically the turbo is going so fast, it cannot spool anymore air, so it coughs, or surges.

Thats why the bigger housings stop this issue, they allow more air to the turbo.

And why the OBS wheel stops it as well, due to it being less aggressive on pulling air.

Never sure why they called it surge. there really is no "surge" in power, or what not.
Hell. I've made my OBS surge with stock turbo.
It's actually really annoying.

I believe it is called surge is because it is air surging in and out of the compressor. The reason why a larger housing helps is because it allows more air to move past a restriction point aka the turbine wheel and into the exhaust. Surge happens when the compressor cant stuff anymore air into the intake. The noise you hear is the compressor wheel stalling as the air surges out past it.

Talyn

Reaction score
I believe it is called surge is because it is air surging in and out of the compressor. The reason why a larger housing helps is because it allows more air to move past a restriction point aka the turbine wheel and into the exhaust. Surge happens when the compressor cant stuff anymore air into the intake. The noise you hear is the compressor wheel stalling as the air surges out past it.

That sounds like a decent explanation of why it's called surge.
And a better explanation of what its doing than mine as well.

On another note. Surge used to be great milking equipment....

hehe.

Latest posts

Members online