Why no powerglide trans in diesel comp trucks?

78f100

Reaction score
Just curious why no one has ever tried it? I know there are some serious gas engines running glides. Is it the gearing that's the big issue or not being able to handle the torque. Just looking for info or reasons why it will or will not work form some of you guys who know about transmissions.

joe d

Reaction score
Id say gearing maybe? There are 2000+ hp cars running glides so they have tp be strong. At least iypu would think there strong.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I think with only 2 speeds youd run out of the power band too quick, and gearing yhe rear to compensate would screw with short times. Just a thought though.

78f100

Reaction score
2000 hp and 1500 ftlbs.... In cars that weigh less than 3500#...

Not really comparable to a truck.

Plus no lockup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes sense, reason I was curious is I have had issues keeping direct drive clutches in my 5r lately, since I put the 75 and nos to it. Like 3 times in the last few months. I had a local trans builder help me with the latest rebuild but broke a input or intermediate shaft at Rudy's third pass, first pass on the 2nd stage of nos. I'm getting tired of the 5r. The guy says he can build a powerglide to hold the power, but he is not a diesel guy and knows nothing about the kind of tq they make. It just got me wondering why it's never done.I don't know much about transmissions but am learning quickly.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
The other issue is the RPM needed to turn a 2 speed. We would need a crazy low gear to make that work without overdrive.

How much power are you making on spray?

78f100

Reaction score
idk , haven't kept a trans in it long enough to see...lol. At rudys I ran with the 37s on it went 7.41 @ 8500# because I didn't have time to change them. For 6.70 qualifying I put the 420s on and turned on the 2nd stage, ran 7.40 at 82mph because the shaft broke. I know its just a guess but the cummins I was racing went 7.13 and I had him by half a truck when it broke. It would have been a really low 7 without breaking maybe 6.9x. Its over 1000hp just not sure how much over.

sootie

Reaction score
i dont see why Morgan at Midwest couldn't build you a 5R to handle that?

78f100

Reaction score
i dont see why Morgan at Midwest couldn't build you a 5R to handle that?

I may have to get with him, I have had really good luck with suncoast and they are very close to me. They have taken care of me when it broke, couldn't ask for them to be any better about it than they have been. Im just curious if im at the limit of a 5r. I am not like most trucks at the races I drive my truck everyday and race it often on the weekends. My first suncoast lasted 40k miles at 800-900hp, but with the new setup its been lucky to last 2000.
I may be asking too much of it not sure, I also know lots of big power guys have gone 4r and 47 or 48rfe.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
I may have to get with him, I have had really good luck with suncoast and they are very close to me. They have taken care of me when it broke, couldn't ask for them to be any better about it than they have been. Im just curious if im at the limit of a 5r. I am not like most trucks at the races I drive my truck everyday and race it often on the weekends. My first suncoast lasted 40k miles at 800-900hp, but with the new setup its been lucky to last 2000.
I may be asking too much of it not sure, I also know lots of big power guys have gone 4r and 47 or 48rfe.

Your weight def doesn't help, and your times that you are running is getting down where the transmission probably cant handle it and be consistent. Low 11's is where the 5R is in a good spot but much faster then that and it just cant do its thing. Usually tho they aren't burning clutches they are just not shifting right.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Just seen this. I can vouch for Morgan's 5r. I had his behind my old truck with maxpowers and drove it hard every day, towed, raced it and pulled it often and it never skipped a beat. It dynoed 951 and 1027 two different times and it was lifted and checked in at 8500.

swinky

Reaction score
My truck will probably get a 4r before billet rods. An 850hp truck with a 4r will outrun a 1000hp truck with a 5r.

I can't prove that in anyway just my personal view on it. I have a great 5r and a great tuner but still. First gear in a 5r is too short once you get up to the 800hp mark and running some 30inch slicks or radials.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

psduser1

Reaction score
My truck will probably get a 4r before billet rods. An 850hp truck with a 4r will outrun a 1000hp truck with a 5r.

I can't prove that in anyway just my personal view on it. I have a great 5r and a great tuner but still. First gear in a 5r is too short once you get up to the 800hp mark and running some 30inch slicks or radials.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

I don't dragrace, so?would a taller tire help, or hurt?
Less gears seems better at first glance, of course.

Reaction score
There is no reason a 5r couldn't successfully run 2nd gear start. After that they run a very similar gear ratio to a 48re. It would require a little different gearing setup. They weekend warrior 3.55 or 3.73 truck on 35's would not be able to gain anything from second gear start. On a truck that really wants to go fast it would definitely be a good starting point to make a 5r quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online