Wife is ready for an X - Do's and Don'ts?

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Could have sworn I saw an 05 for sale on here or PSN not to long ago and everything was the same.

Pretty sure that discussion was between 04 and 05 X's because The trucks changed interiors in 05 but the 05 X did not update. I think...

So try to find a good prices bulletproofed 6.0 huh?

Fordguy100

Reaction score
I wouldnt even be worried about a non bullet proofed one, just know that you should set aside $3500ish for PSE to go through it.

If you find a non bullet proofed one for say $16k and a bullet proofed one for $20K, it would probably be a better bet to go for the $16k one.

dsberman94

Reaction score
yes to leaf sprung on all the 4x4's but the seats, gauge cluster, transmission and front clip are for sure different.

I knew all the exterior and drivetrain were different but I coulda sworn they kept the older style interior. Hmm. But I'm not gonna argue it because you've got one so I've been beaten. Haha.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Anyone else with comments on a 6.0 vs. 7.3?

Pros/cons?

I can see the 7.3 being a bit louder, neither rig would probably see more than airflow mods and a programer. Again the wife doesn't need big power, just need her to be able to pull out in Houston traffic and get movin!

Question on a 6.0.. if I find a nice stock one with 150ish miles will it NEED to go over to PSE? Don't the oil coolers and other things start to get outa wack once they go up in miles? I really need to get back in the 6.0 threads. Things like delta kits and newer HPOPs aer over my head...

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
no, 6.0's are not the fragile POS that everybody online makes them out to be

get some tunes, get a monitor, watch EOT/ECT and drive the SOB

I would say "you couldn't pay me to drive a 7.3", but that's a lie... everything has a price

throttle response on a tuned 6.0 is unreal

the great thing about a 6.0 is it will rarely leave you stranded without lots and lots of warning...
injectors going bad? rough cold start, rough running until it warms up...
FICM going bad? really long/hard cold start (but it'll start!)
oil cooler clogging? EOT will start climbing
EGR cooler cracked? white smoke and antifreeze smell
head gasket blown? truck will puke under HEAVY load only at first
high pressure oil leak? truck won't start when hot

none of these things will leave you or your loving wife stranded... the only thing that will prevent limping it to a shop is not being able to start hot on a high pressure leak. But once the truck cools down, it'll start. Or, you can put a can of ether in the back and instruct her on how to use it in the case of an emergency.

7.3's are not 100% bulletproof/trouble free. They have fewer failure points, but you should set aside money for a good trans rebuild. I just can't deal with the lack of performance :eek:

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
I'm leaning towards a 6.0 myself. My KR dually 6.0 ran GREAT and I beat on it with a full race tune. If the motors stock i'll have to look into the 6.0 forums some more but..

intake
Remove cat
EGR delete
Delta Kit
Coolant filter
Gearhead smaller tune

Roll with it!

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
03 a bad yeah for injectors on the 6.0?

The one i'm looking at is a 2wd by the way... Figured what the hell, I've got my truck if i need 4x4. It's going to be the wife's warrior wagon nothin more.

Last edited:

Lassie

Reaction score
They made some small adjustments to internals on later years...but did it help them???? Not IMO. Just consider injectors wear parts on a 6.0.

Could get 200k if well maintained. Might die at 50k if run out of fuel or long change intervals

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Made some progress... Found a gaser real close to the house and just had the wife sit in it and see how it feels. Right now we're between an X or expedition so we'll see what she ends up liking more. She struggles a bit to get past the dated interior but there are about half the price of an expedition we looked at...Few more random questions

1. 2wd turn and ride better than a 4wd? I thought I saw a better turning radius on a 2wd

2. Wife wants to know if the second row has the babe seat clip in deals specifically for baby seats. We were only at the dealer for a short time and didn't have time to dig through it. Figured y'all would know.

Fordguy100

Reaction score
It will most definately turn better (since 4x4 Excursions were all leaf spring), and ride better.

I thinks ours has those clips, but I'm not 100% sure. It could also be different between the rear captains (what we have) or the rear bench.

morepower02

Reaction score
I wouldnt even be worried about a non bullet proofed one, just know that you should set aside $3500ish for PSE to go through it.

If you find a non bullet proofed one for say $16k and a bullet proofed one for $20K, it would probably be a better bet to go for the $16k one.

Bullet proofing puts money in shops pockets. I have owned 3 6.0 pickups since new non bullet proofed. Don't let people scare you into thinking a 6.0 won't do just fine on it's own.

Last edited:

TyCorr

Reaction score
Id buy either engine version. A set of 238/80s and a 38r and the power issue is equalized for less than a headgasket job costs. The rest of that stuff is cosmetics. Honestly, at this point either one probably needs the drivers seat redone and unless the truck has the black/tan eddie bauer interior it looks like shti anyway.

I would take an 05 6L excursion. My ex and I had a gasser back in 03 we only had it a year and traded it for an expedition because she kept backing into things.

They are awesome to ride in, in my opinion.

Dmstrucks02

Reaction score
What does it cost to lift cab on a excursion? Could be something to look into, not sure if its more work than a truck

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Truck does not have the newer tie down points for car seats and carrier bases. You have to use the seat belt.

Ex's are over the weight rating where they are required by law so they got left out.

Definitely an over site on Fords part as that is a major reason why people buy big SUV's.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
Bullet proofing puts money in shops pockets. I have owned 3 6.0 pickups since new non bullet proofed. Don't let people scare you into thinking a 6.0 won't do just fine on it's own.

I hear ya... I wouldn't be putting much on the X anyway. Increase some airflow(intake/Cat delete), increase some coolant flow(delta kit/egr delete), bypass filters and run with it I think. Maybe a tiny tune on whatever I end up getting for monitoring. Not trying to break any land speed records. Just need moma to get up and go in Houston traffic alil bit.

She won't be happy with the no baby clip thing but thanks for the info Vader. Any regrets Vader? You've got the new twins right?

Side note... this all came up because I found out I'm going to be a Popa a few weeks ago! More than excited... Wife's going to start struggling getting into my lifted 08 so we're really trying to figure out a plan. I'm not looking to put 40k into a vehicle but we're at the point of an X, or trade my truck in on a new(er) Expedition. I think she wants the expedition slightly more but not sure where that really falls with the budget.

Some of my "logic"... New Expedition = 30-40k.

Stud my truck(gotta lower it slightly too), buy an X and a TDI for me to commute = 30-40k but i should be able to get 400K miles outa those three rigs.

Maybe i'm just being crazy lol. The right X and I think she'll like it. The one we looked at yesterday had some pretty worn out seats which was pretty obvious she wasn't happy about.

Last edited:

birdmayon

Reaction score
They don't have the LATCH system but the do have the rear anchor points for the tether. I was a bit disappointed in lack of LATCH at first but it is almost as quick to install infant/child seats using a belt and it is supposedly just as safe.

I had my Ex bulletproofed (actually re-bulletproofed) and the shop (Marty's Diesel) said that while there were a few extra steps, pulling the body wasn't much more work than doing so for a truck. I don't believe they charged anything extra to do it.

I've got a 2wd (have not driven a 4wd). It still rides a bit stiff like a truck but it is a badass highway cruiser for long trips and vacations. I have looked around and have not found a more versatile SUV. You basically have a full 8' bed in the back when you remove the rear row and fold the seats down, tons of elbow and leg room up front and you can tow a house with it.

Members online

No members online now.