Windshield wind noise

gnxtc2

Reaction score
Posted from FTE:

Finally! After months taping all around the windshield and cowling junction to no avail, I have finally found the source of my musical dash.

First the symptoms and observations:
1. The noise started at about 35,000 miles; First very infrequently then with increasing frequency.
2. The noise was always occurred by a crosswind (or when passing a semi) at 55+ mph.
3. The noise never occurred while it was raining.
4. The noise would stop if windshield washer was engaged for a few seconds (would come back after water was dried off).
5. The noise was always the same tone (never changed with speed or strength of wind).
6. the noise was always the same volume after threshold for tone was reached.

First I tried taping the center junction of the cowling; next I taped the bottom of the windshield, next I taped the windshield sides, next I taped the top of the windshield. The noise still persisted. As I stated earlier, engaging the windshield washer would silence the noise; so I engaged the windshield washer until it stopped and the pulled over and observed which areas were wet. I saw that only the sides were wet so I started looking only in the side areas.

On the passenger side (there is also one on the drivers side) there is an auxiliary door seal just in front of the main door seal that is held in place by press-in nylon body bolts/screws. I noticed that it was somewhat loose. Also I noticed a ~5/8 hole that went into the dash area that was covered by a plastic film. The air was rushing past the front edge of this auxiliary seal and traveling over this hole. When this air got strong enough it would vibrate the plastic film covering and act like a reed on a musical instrument. I pulled up this auxiliary seal and re-installed it. Now the noise is gone. That is music to my ears!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1307062-repost-of-2008-f250-wind-noise-for-2011-and-up-too.html

Billy T.
[email protected]

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Probably the best way to get it fixed is ride with the tech. I am pretty sketched out about taking customer's trucks that fast, and if its a calm day they probably wont beable to duplicate it. And unfortunately for some guys, if they cant find it they wont fix it, no matter how many times theyve seen it.

They told me twice they were able to duplicate around 75 mph on the highway

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Posted from FTE:

Finally! After months taping all around the windshield and cowling junction to no avail, I have finally found the source of my musical dash.

First the symptoms and observations:
1. The noise started at about 35,000 miles; First very infrequently then with increasing frequency.
2. The noise was always occurred by a crosswind (or when passing a semi) at 55+ mph.
3. The noise never occurred while it was raining.
4. The noise would stop if windshield washer was engaged for a few seconds (would come back after water was dried off).
5. The noise was always the same tone (never changed with speed or strength of wind).
6. the noise was always the same volume after threshold for tone was reached.

First I tried taping the center junction of the cowling; next I taped the bottom of the windshield, next I taped the windshield sides, next I taped the top of the windshield. The noise still persisted. As I stated earlier, engaging the windshield washer would silence the noise; so I engaged the windshield washer until it stopped and the pulled over and observed which areas were wet. I saw that only the sides were wet so I started looking only in the side areas.

On the passenger side (there is also one on the drivers side) there is an auxiliary door seal just in front of the main door seal that is held in place by press-in nylon body bolts/screws. I noticed that it was somewhat loose. Also I noticed a ~5/8 hole that went into the dash area that was covered by a plastic film. The air was rushing past the front edge of this auxiliary seal and traveling over this hole. When this air got strong enough it would vibrate the plastic film covering and act like a reed on a musical instrument. I pulled up this auxiliary seal and re-installed it. Now the noise is gone. That is music to my ears!

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1307062-repost-of-2008-f250-wind-noise-for-2011-and-up-too.html

Billy T.
[email protected]

So the wind ripping past the hole was the root cause? I'll look for the hole and see what i can see

Last edited:

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
They told me twice they were able to duplicate around 75 mph on the highway

Oh ok, well then there should no issue figuring it out. Sorry, i wa trying to give them the benefit of doubt, but there are no excuses then. Good luck.

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Alright guys so I pulled those two seals out that the fella in the post above was talking about and found the hole that's covered by the clear plastic film. Mine looked to be sealed over the hole pretty well still so what I did was take an old gift card and some packaging tape placed the gift card over the hole and the plastic film then placed two pieces of packaging tape on the card to seal it up nice. I figured if the wind is ripping over the plastic film covering the hole making that vibrate giving off that noise then by placing the stout card and packaging tape over top would either shut it up or dampen the sound. Took it to work the next day, after work I let her eat getting up to about 70 mph and the trumpet sound is still there not even the slightest difference. Now back to the drawing board again

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I would say best thing to do since your dealership is full of dumb asses, is get a roll of painters tape. Tape along the top of the windshield, dropping down both corners about 3 inches. Then drive it. If the noise is gone, leave the tape there and take it in.

How many miles are on the truck? Do you have glass coverage thru insurance?

Arconalloy

Reaction score
The truck has 40k on it, my dealer has always been good to deal with and has never given me trouble with any of my requests In the past. The diesel tech drives a 6.7 himself and has always been helpful. Whatever it is making the noise is coming from around where the mirror is I'm half curious if it has something to do with those two seals there in the jam because they are only held in with those cheap little plastic push pins and are sloppy loose

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
We tend to see this a lot, just had 3 this week. All were windshield seals. It should be covered under 3/36, but i have no idea on esp or not. Some that are out of warranty use their glass coverage to get them resealed. Glass coverage covers everything with the glass, not just the windshield.

Didnt mean to come off harsh, but earlier you had said they can make the noise occur, but cant find it. I have had a couple pita noises that have used 1/2-3/4 roll of painters tape to locate. Have taped doors completely shut trying to find them. If its under esp or something, ford will pay yhem for excessive diag, if its customer pay, it could be thatbthey are not willing to waste too much time on trying to find it, as diag time is typically a flat hour.or so id does get bad having to call the customer several times saying you need more time to locate, can you pay more. But sometime that is what is required.

As i said previously though your best bet may be to start taping yourself to find the source and take it to them for repair. Just my .02 from personal experiences...

Arconalloy

Reaction score
I agree 100% I'm starting to locate myself and already have painters tape with me, not coming off harsh I understand what your saying. I do have the extended warranty on the truck so id imagine its still covered possibly all I know is with all the highway miles I put in which is 90% of my drive time I want the noise gone asap. Is there any consistency in location where yall have been seeing the windshields have bad seals?

ChitownPS

Reaction score
I am having the same problem. Are you guys talking about the rubber seal around the windshield? Or do I need to have the windshield removed and resealed? Its driving me crazy!

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Arconalloy

Reaction score
I'm thinking the windshield needs to be snatched and resealed completely I'm really having trouble locating the leak exactly but I'm working on it

Arconalloy

Reaction score
Yea I've read that everywhere but I can't get the dealer to bite off on it. They are saying they are unsure that it's the window or something to do with door seal/mirror issues so I need to find a way to point out the problem spot

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok, good luck buddy. Do the top, and drop down the sides about 3-4 inches, that seems where most leaks tend to be.

Latest posts

Members online