WW My impression.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You don't have a 38R. Your compressor housing would be ported and your wicked wheel would be smaller around than the wheel you pulled out. My guess is that you created a leak somewhere.

Most likely your bailing wire is not nearly tight enough and your wastegate is leaking past big time.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Stock SD Turbo is 3" intake with a 1.0ar compressor and a .84ar turbine housings. A 38r has a ported 4" intake and 1.0 housings on both.

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Well... see... that's how much I know about turbos. I was reading the compressor not the turbine housing. LOL

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
The wg is wired and cross wired with constant pull, much more than the wg had. The only thing under charge removed was the comp housing. I'll check for leaks there but I was pretty anal about the reinstall.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You did something... When I swapped to a wicked wheel, changing nothing else, I noticed NO change other than a smoother power band and a high pitched whistle.

PStroked444

Reaction score
Just for the sake of talking....I used the WW to get rid of surge and it did. But I did loose mileage and smoked. WW is a good cheap fix. Now I have the SD wheel and ATS housing. :pimp:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Why in the hell dont people pull the fricking turbo to install these things???

I just did one two weekends ago, had the turbo out, WW installed, cleaned the IC tubes and turbo itself and back in in less then an hour...

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
No leaks. Rechecked everything. The high pitched whistle is only at road speed, at least with the windows up. Any time i pass someone now they get fogged in this grey cummingsesgue douschbag smoke. So my delima is.... Put the stock wheel back on or get different tunes.

Btw the wheel fits nicely, doesent make contact with the housing or anything else. Still spins for about 10-15 seconds if twirlled by hand.

Jason

Reaction score
My truck runs betrer with the red line hooked up. Matt and i tried it both ways. Off its a little laggy down low and pulls steady mid range and up top. Plugged in itll break the tires loose from a 20 roll, and maintains a steady harder pull as rpm/boost increase.

When i did my ported housing i lost the clip. I had my 32' enclosed car traoler hooked up, and drove it like it was to my buddies shop. Turbo was quiet and took 1/2 throttle to maintain highway speed with lots of smoke. Got to his shop, got everything fixed up wastegate wise, wired the rod tight as humanly possible, completely different animal afterwards. I vote for your wastegate rod not being tight enough, and bleeding off boost.

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I noticed a Ton of difference with my wicked wheel and it took me about 2 hours. I didn't even touch the waste gate just finagled the housing around until I could barely get the wheels swapped and put it all back together. Well worth it IMO I couldn't run my truck wot without it surging something horrible but now it's fine. I think eventually I am going to get the ATS housing too

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

sniper_101

Reaction score
I left the WG attached on mine when I did it, and just swung the compressor housing backward to the cab. Installed new compressor side o-ring on install. Took maybe 45min.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Aw is designed to get rid of surge. And that's what it does your not going to feel a power gain and most of the time they loose 1-2 psi. It should not of taken anywhere near 3 hours.

So if you were expecting a seat of the pants difference and something radical + took up 3 hours of time o could understand why you would be upset.

The ww has proved itself for a long time so I don't think a bad review here and there will hurt it very much.

And if it took 3 hours to do the wicked wheel it may take 10 hours to do a 38r. LOL just busting your chops

10 hrs to do a 38r? Hardly. I did mine and a ccv mod plus changed out the ebpv housing.for a free flowing 4" outlet in 3hrs minus howeverong it took to eat lunch. My truck is lifted on 37s too. You should be able to.change a compressor wheel in 20 min. No joke.

Unless you were joking in which.case I didnt pick up on the context and Im sorry. Nevrmind, I see what you were saying now(edited).

Cat_rebel

Reaction score
My truck runs betrer with the red line hooked up. Matt and i tried it both ways. Off its a little laggy down low and pulls steady mid range and up top. Plugged in itll break the tires loose from a 20 roll, and maintains a steady harder pull as rpm/boost increase.

When i did my ported housing i lost the clip. I had my 32' enclosed car traoler hooked up, and drove it like it was to my buddies shop. Turbo was quiet and took 1/2 throttle to maintain highway speed with lots of smoke. Got to his shop, got everything fixed up wastegate wise, wired the rod tight as humanly possible, completely different animal afterwards. I vote for your wastegate rod not being tight enough, and bleeding off boost.

Yours must have been tightened down better than mine. I messed with it a little then finally unplugged it & left it off for a few years. Boost was always instant & it ran good. Switched over to a van turbo for now so I don't have a waste gate to contend with.

TARM

Reaction score
Well the WW is a smaller wheel and moves that much less air. All it does is makes the thing louder and moved the map a bit while cramming less air into the engine per revolution. Less air = what if you keep fueling the same?

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
Try running with the red line off the wastegate?

I broke the rod so no wg. Wired shut with about 100 pounds of resistance.
If it weren't for the smoke id be happy, i wanted to lose the surge and have. The smoke is just embarrassing.

JAP

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I have the same exact tunes as you and unless I'm trying, there is no smoke normal driving with my turbo and wicked wheel. And that's on 35's with 3.73's, I would expect that yours would be quite a bit more controllable.

Latest posts

Members online