Zf5 fluid

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
What does everyone run for fluid in their zf5's? I'm going to be changing the fluid in mine chasing a 4th gear issue. Typically I run bar and chain oil in my manual transmissions. Interested in what all you have found works well for you

Bugman

Reaction score
All you are going to do with running a thicker oil than is recommended is mask the problem that you already have. It won't fix anything and I doubt that it will allow the transmission to last any longer.

I just run synthetic ATF from Walmart and have had no problems with it.

swamp_ratt

Reaction score
Hey, if it masks it for about 6 months, that's all I care! It pops out of 4th gear coasting once it warms up. Cold it doesn't do it. Only done it since my engine swap

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Hey, if it masks it for about 6 months, that's all I care! It pops out of 4th gear coasting once it warms up. Cold it doesn't do it. Only done it since my engine swap
talk to the dude that bought your dt...

live life full throttle

god bless america and the farmer who feeds your fat ass

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
dude aint right for sure.. but bar and chain oil is typically sae30 weight oil... hydraulic oil is the same and transmission oil is close or the same as well...

live life full throttle

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
known the guy personally for years now.. comes up with wierd chit but can back up his reasoning for doin so..

live life full throttle

superduty4x4

Reaction score
dude aint right for sure.. but bar and chain oil is typically sae30 weight oil... hydraulic oil is the same and transmission oil is close or the same as well...

live life full throttle

Right, it's close to 30wt but it has that **** in it that makes it tackier so it sticks to the chain better, can't imagine having that **** inside a transmission will do it any favors.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Right, it's close to 30wt but it has that **** in it that makes it tackier so it sticks to the chain better, can't imagine having that **** inside a transmission will do it any favors.
you do realize that oil is designed to stick to metal right?

live life full throttle

Reaction score
The ZF-5 uses Synthetic ATF. If you want to use something more viscous, use the RedLine MTL as previously mentioned. The factory actually uses an Allison-spec'd synthetic ATF, Castrol TranSynd. Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online