zf6 killed.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Well, think I murdered the trans today in the woods. Locked up in a gear and truck won't move without clutch being held in. Luckily my dad was there to pull me back to camp. Anyone know what ballpark what a rebuild is gonna run me? Or better to buy a reman? Had to leave her an hour a way from home till I can fig out how to get her home.

psduser1

Reaction score
Reman is about 1600 from midwest, plus a 1500 core, which is refunded, depending on the condition of your core.

Or buy mine, lol.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Been doing some searching online. I never had any issues of grinding or popping out of gear. It's like the shifter isn't doing its job. Seen something about a pin under the shifter that can crack or fall out . Would be nice if this was the issue and not a fubared trans.

psduser1

Reaction score
The shift forks can fail, locking the trans in gear, or between them.
If you have a competent driveine shop nearby, it's worth having it tore down. They are a bit more involved than the old Muncie four speeds, and require a couple of special tools, not really a job for a novice.
That said, they are generally worth rebuilding.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Take the boot out from around the shifter and take the top off the trans. It is 6 - 6mm allen bolts. You will be able to tell if it is just a shifter problem or something more serious.

If you were have no signs of failure before this happened, there is a good chance it is only shifter related.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Take the boot out from around the shifter and take the top off the trans. It is 6 - 6mm allen bolts. You will be able to tell if it is just a shifter problem or something more serious.

If you were have no signs of failure before this happened, there is a good chance it is only shifter related.

Yeah just came out of the blue. We were heading out down a dirt Rd and I was pullin a small single Axel trailer. Was in second gear and mashed on it twice and that is when rear locked up and we came to a sliding stock and truck shut off. Push clutch in and truck starts, but trans is in gear and shifter does nothing to change or take out of gear. No issues issues with this trans in the past 5 years I have had it. Maybe I will get lucky and the pin just needs replacing.

Reaction score
If it's the shifter pin you're in for a treat. I've done one once. The trans has to be shifted into 3rd gear in order to get the new pin in.

Take some small pliers and get the pin started in the slot. I then used extensions to drive it in and seat it. Just be sure not to drop it down in the trans.

co04cobra

Reaction score
The just locking up part sounds more serious. That is odd that you didn't have noise previous to that, but it won't hurt to take the top off and check it out.

jngreen

Reaction score
I don't get how the clutch pedal being held in allows you to pull the truck. If the trans was stuck in two gears, and you slid to a stop, then how would the clutch make a difference at that point? I've had tractors do the same thing, and you can't move them until you fix the problem with the trans. Does the truck still run? It should with the clutch pressed in, but I still don't get why you can move it without dragging the rear tires.

On edit: I just reread your last post and it makes more sense now, kinda. If the shifter broke, then the truck should be able to pull itself because it is stuck in "second" gear. If the truck won't pull itself, then you likely have bigger problems than the shifter.

Last edited:

ju015dd

Reaction score
I had to stay in the truck and keep the clutch pedal pressed to pull it down the Rd a bit. Didn't have any tools with us to drop the drive shaft or pull the shifter.

ju015dd

Reaction score
Like a said truck starts and idles fine with clutch pressed in. But won't go anywhere . with truck off and clutch pressed we were able to move it back to camp.

jngreen

Reaction score
Like a said truck starts and idles fine with clutch pressed in. But won't go anywhere . with truck off and clutch pressed we were able to move it back to camp.

I hear ya, but it still doesn't make any sense in my mind. The truck should be able to move itself if it truly stuck in "second" gear. Maybe you didn't ride the clutch enough to get the truck to move in what I would call third gear. If you truly had an issue with the trans, the clutch would do little to help you pull it back to camp. You would have to drop the drive shaft at that point.

To me, it's just as likely that you have an issue with the rear end, as it is that you have a problem with the trans. I'm still hoping it's just a shifter problem, but you sliding to a stop makes me doubt that, unless the truck died and that is what made you slide to a stop.

ju015dd

Reaction score
I hear ya, but it still doesn't make any sense in my mind. The truck should be able to move itself if it truly stuck in "second" gear. Maybe you didn't ride the clutch enough to get the truck to move in what I would call third gear. If you truly had an issue with the trans, the clutch would do little to help you pull it back to camp. You would have to drop the drive shaft at that point.

To me, it's just as likely that you have an issue with the rear end, as it is that you have a problem with the trans. I'm still hoping it's just a shifter problem, but you sliding to a stop makes me doubt that, unless the truck died and that is what made you slide to a stop.

Got ya. Not sure what gear it may be stuck it ,because I did ride the clutch trying to move it and never could. Almost like it is in way too high a gear. Plan on checking shifter first then go from there. Once it happened it does seem like the shifter was acting different trying to change gears. Like it was moving around but no moving anythin .

ju015dd

Reaction score
OK guys. Trans is not locked up. Its like it is in 4th or 5 th gear. I can rev it up and lug the **** out of it and truck will roll a bit. Got it to move a few feet. Any ideas

Latest posts