01 7.3 issue

abbottfarms

Reaction score
I've got a 2001 7.3. Yesterday I started it, came back inside for maybe 7-10 minutes. As I was heading back out the door it started running extremely rough. I shut it off and checked the oil and it was ok. Started it up and it would run fine for a few minutes then start running rough and set the CEL (no access to a code reader at this time). I swapped the fuel filter for giggles with no change. Unplugged the ICP and the connector had oil in it, so I got one today put it thought I had it licked, 2 miles down the road it came into running bad with no power. Shut it off and restarted it and got back home with it. Could it be the plug that connects to the ICP? Or am I going in the wrong direction?

Last edited:

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I've got a 2001 7.3. Yesterday I started it, came back inside for maybe 7-10 minutes. As I was heading back out the door it started running extremely rough. I shut it off and checked the oil and it was ok. Started it up and it would run fine for a few minutes then start running rough and set the CEL (no access to a code reader at this time). I swapped the fuel filter for giggles with no change. Unplugged the ICP and the connector had oil in it, so I got one today put it thought I had it licked, 2 miles down the road it came into running bad with no power. Shut it off and restarted it and got back home with it. Could it be the plug that connects to the ICP? Or am I going in the wrong direction?
without a way to read codes then its a crap shoot... swap the cps just for poops and grins.. check voltage after the truck has been ran for a few min.

live life full throttle

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
without a way to read codes then its a crap shoot... swap the cps just for poops and grins.. check voltage after the truck has been ran for a few min.

live life full throttle

WHS^ my buddies 7.3 F-350 DRW has a similar problem run fine 5 mins later would lose power and idle rough. It ended up being the UVCH's. I would throw a scanner on it and check for codes because if you don't you'll just be throwing parts at it. Thread located here

http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53372

Jomax

Reaction score
It can be as bad as injectors. If you have more than 230k on injectors, IMHO, that's one of the first things I'd change. It's only a matter of time till they die.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

abbottfarms

Reaction score
170,000 miles on the truck and it came on all of a sudden sitting idling in my dooryard. Was not lacking for power, smoking or running rough prior to Sunday. Sometimes when you start it it will run perfect, then it will come into running rough and shaking. After restart sometimes it's good sometimes it's still rough. CEL is only on when it is running rough, if you restart it the CEL is out until it has a spell. Had a friend come over tonight with his code reader, saying no codes but I am not sure what it was for a scanner. It is possible it just wasn't a compatible code reader.

ToMang07

Reaction score
170,000 miles on the truck and it came on all of a sudden sitting idling in my dooryard. Was not lacking for power, smoking or running rough prior to Sunday. Sometimes when you start it it will run perfect, then it will come into running rough and shaking. After restart sometimes it's good sometimes it's still rough. CEL is only on when it is running rough, if you restart it the CEL is out until it has a spell. Had a friend come over tonight with his code reader, saying no codes but I am not sure what it was for a scanner. It is possible it just wasn't a compatible code reader.

Sounds like a fuel issue to me, how low is your fuel?

I have AE and another scanner if you want to re-scan it. If the CEL popped....there is a code. I'm in southern Oxford County.

Arisley

Reaction score
Check the little tin nut on the back of the IPR. It likes to come loose on its own. The ICP with the oil on it was probably on its way out anyway. If it's not the tin nut, don't spend any more money on it until you can pull codes.

Sent from my truck while eating, adjusting the radio and passing a Mustang sideways.

Latest posts

Members online