04 6.0 no start, no LPO.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
We have a 04 excursion in the shop right now for a no start that has us stumped. It died while driving and was towed in. My coworker checked it and and found it had low ICP so he pulled the valve covers and checked the HPO system for leaks. There were none and the IPR works perfectly so he pulled the HPOP to check the check ball. It was fine but they went ahead and put a new HPOP in while they had it apart. Still no ICP so he checked LPO and there is none. The oil filter housing will fill up but there is no pressure on a mechanical gauge at all while cranking. It pops through the intake while cranking so I suspected a failed lifter. We checked the oil pump and drained the oil and there are no signs of metal at all. At this point any help would be appreciated!!!!!

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Most likely going to need a front cover and a new lpop. I just finished one with the exact same issues about an hour ago. Pulled the lpop and the gear had cracked and chewed up the front cover.

Pulled it all apart, changed front cover and new oil pump and it fired right up and runs beautifully. Also changed the oil and filters.

I would pull the lpop and check it out. If it looks good and the front cover is nice and smooth I would look into the oil pickup, but I have not had any issues with them with a 6.0 yet.

Just to check, you did make sure it had enough oil in it right? (I am sure you did, but know from experience sometimes the simplest solutions get overlooked)

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
The LPOP is in perfect shape, not a scratch. He is pulling the valve covers right now to check for HPO leaks again and also because of the popping noise. If there is a collapsed lifter we will have a rocker not moving somewhere.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
The LPOP is in perfect shape, not a scratch. He is pulling the valve covers right now to check for HPO leaks again and also because of the popping noise. If there is a collapsed lifter we will have a rocker not moving somewhere.
No HPO leaks for sure, all the rockers are moving. About to check the pickup tube with a bore scope.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
no known issues with pick ups that I have ever heard of... and just because the rockers move, doesnt mean there isnt a fubar lifter.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
no known issues with pick ups that I have ever heard of... and just because the rockers move, doesnt mean there isnt a fubar lifter.
It looks fine with the bore scope so we are kinda ruling that out too. True, there's no metal anywhere so we cant prove to the customer that its a litter. Do you have any way we could prove it without taking the engine apart?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I have always had some sort of evidence... IE: needle bearing on drain plug, in pan, or an indentation on the gerotor...

Have you checked out the regulator yet?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I have always had some sort of evidence... IE: needle bearing on drain plug, in pan, or an indentation on the gerotor...

Have you checked out the regulator yet?
Yea that's what odd. No evidence at all other than thumping through the intake. Yes we did.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
So we pulled the oil cooler and there are just a few tiny flakes of metal in the screen under it. It is popping out the intake port on # 4 so I guess we will get approval to pull the head.... A reman engine is 11 grand our cost. 0_0.

sootie

Reaction score
i have an 05 motor complete from oil pan to turbo plus all accessories. head studs and egr delete. 108k miles on it. not sure what it would take to put it in there but is a far cry cheaper than a reman...
pm me if you want

Latest posts

Members online