04 ex w/low hpop pressure

gwunter

Reaction score
Well the saga continues. My screw up with the converter installation(which could have been remedied in 2min if i just checked it from the get go) apparently has had farther reaching ramifications than I knew. I got the pump reinstalled today. Then put the converter on and it would not spin after all engagements were made. So apparently something got bent inside the converter. I pulled the pump assembly back out and mated the 2 on the bench and they would not turn independent of one another, which leads me to blame the TC.

Where would you guys advise purchasing a converter from? Engine should be in the 500hp range but should not see that often.

Will this chaos ever end. Lol

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Well the saga continues. My screw up with the converter installation(which could have been remedied in 2min if i just checked it from the get go) apparently has had farther reaching ramifications than I knew. I got the pump reinstalled today. Then put the converter on and it would not spin after all engagements were made. So apparently something got bent inside the converter. I pulled the pump assembly back out and mated the 2 on the bench and they would not turn independent of one another, which leads me to blame the TC.

Where would you guys advise purchasing a converter from? Engine should be in the 500hp range but should not see that often.

Will this chaos ever end. Lol

We use goerend converters. We’re running one in our race truck, and most of our test trucks as well, and haven’t had any problems outside the race truck, but that doesn’t count from a longevity point or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gwunter

Reaction score
So I don't know what's going on. I put the new converter in and it still won't free spin. I'm sure all the engagements are proper. The trans pump gears are new. I dont know what else could be an issue at this point. DPC converter.

Update.

I pulled the converter and confirmed everything inside it turns as it should. Now time to pull the pan and filter to be able to remove the trans front housing. I'm predicting the gears were different thickness and the new ones are think causing it to bind. If that's the case I'll just surface grind the new gears to old thickness.....wish me luck.
20241019_135431.jpg

Last edited:

gwunter

Reaction score
Well, I think I figured it out. The original pump gear set had markings on both pieces, the new gear set only had a mark on the internal gear. Apparently I had the outer piece that had no marking on it installed in reverse orientation. Reversing this part caused the outer pump ring to be about 0.002 proud in the housing. One side of the outer gear had a pretty sharp edge, while the other side had a descent bevel on it. Moral of the story, bevel goes toward the housing.

Just circling back around here telling myself that if I would have spent 2 minutes checking all this initially, it would have saved me money and headache.

I haven't put it back together yet, but this seems like a logical problem.

View attachment 187676View attachment 187677