05+ axle swap: quick question

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Have everything I need. For those of you that have done it, how many bolts do I need and what size/length. Trying to get everything ordered so it's waiting there for me once I start.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

scparrish

Reaction score
I will check what bolt size when I get home. The amount, chit ton. There are seriously a lot of bolts. I probably spent over a hundred bucks on hardware.

Jomax

Reaction score
When I Do a coil axle swap on my Moms Ex. I'll have to make a detailed write up with everything needed. Shocked no one has made one yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
I have everything but the hardware, I figure 25 1/2 inch bolts, just need to know length

uncool

Reaction score
1.5" long bolts for the shock towers, 4 or 6 of them x2.
1.5" long bolts for the radius arm brackets, 2 for the lower under frame holes and 1 for the front side mounting hole x2.
1.75" long bolts for the rear 3 side mount radius arm bracket x2. The bracket at the three rear locations is double plate.

All depends on the type of washers used.

I used crimp nuts so no lock washers for mine, but I did use double heavy USS flat washers.

16 - 1.5" long bolts, 6 - 1.75" long bolts, 44 flat washer and 22 nuts.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Awesome thanks, is there enough clearance to just run inch and three quarter for every hole? I read somewhere that the radius arm bracket ones need to be shorter on the drivers side for the fuel pump. Any tips or trucks you'd recommend? Trying to get it done in a day

Jomax

Reaction score
For the nuts, only buy the stover nuts. And use a washer on each end. It'll never come loose on you.

I'm going to take pics of everything today on my truck, on how it was done by my buddy before I bought it

Jomax

Reaction score
Stover lock nuts are one piece, all-metal prevailing torque hex nuts with a conical top and a flat bottom bearing surface with chamfered corners. The locking action, created by distortion of their top threads, is said to be capable of withstanding severe vibration and shock loads.

8ae18f886822d9a954de926829a84077.jpg

The top is crimped for a stover nut as seen in pic

Nylock nuts degrade over time, loosing all the hold down force they once had.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Interesting, did you swap the steering box, or ream out the stock Pittman arm

uncool

Reaction score
I reamed my stock pitman arm. Fuel pump clearance may be an issue. My A1000 was mounted there. Just spaced it out to clear the bolts in my case.

I also bent the stock brake lines to meet up with the placement of the 05 factory lines. There is enough line even for my 4.5" lift with drop down spacers for the stock rubber lines. I'll get a few pictures in a few hours and put them up for you. Just got off of night shift.

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
When I Do a coil axle swap on my Moms Ex. I'll have to make a detailed write up with everything needed. Shocked no one has made one yet.

When do you plan to do this?

I am doing this on my 02 Ex this summer. Slowly collecting the parts I need plus a few other things.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
I reamed my stock pitman arm. Fuel pump clearance may be an issue. My A1000 was mounted there. Just spaced it out to clear the bolts in my case.

I also bent the stock brake lines to meet up with the placement of the 05 factory lines. There is enough line even for my 4.5" lift with drop down spacers for the stock rubber lines. I'll get a few pictures in a few hours and put them up for you. Just got off of night shift.
Sounds good, my stock pump is still there. Did you buy a reamer?

Jomax

Reaction score
Interesting, did you swap the steering box, or ream out the stock Pittman arm

I swapped over to a 2005+ box, but my box was bad.

On my moms X she has a read head already, so I'll be reaming the pitman arm.

Jomax

Reaction score
When do you plan to do this?

I am doing this on my 02 Ex this summer. Slowly collecting the parts I need plus a few other things.

Probably over the summer as much as I hate working in the summer lol.

Her whole front end is shot down to the springs. So being labor is free for me( won't charge her) , cost would be the same.

Would probably do the rear axle as well, along with 2015 rear springs.

Latest posts

Members online