08 f250 rev slam questions

Ryanurban123

Reaction score
Hey guys i just installed my spartan tuner and 5" exhaust and intake on december 13, 2014 and have already had about 4 rev slams and i really barely drive the truck considering i have a work truck also. but i use it for daily and going on vaca and toy hauling. So my question is what have you all done to resolve this issue. Or is this something i have to call spartan about. also I'm running the 275 tune thanks

pog

Reaction score
from what i remember i added a quart of trans fluid. that seemed to help. but that was long time ago.

Ryanurban123

Reaction score
Why switch from what i understand people are getting this with other tuners as well

sootie

Reaction score
not with Gearhead you wont. unless you are experiencing a mechanical failure...

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
^^^ what he said. I have switched quite a few from Spartan to a Gearhead. Only way we've found to fix the issue. Never had a single truck do this with Gearhead Tuning.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
try a different tune. add a quart of oil to the trans. my truck will only do it on the 275. all trucks seem to be different. its tune related for sure. I think it has to do with the higher trans pressure at light throttle

08Monster

Reaction score
Put it in tow/haul before a turn if it only happens on turns. A certain turn on the way to my house will rev slam 9/10. Only that turn, its never done it besides that.

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
Put it in tow/haul before a turn if it only happens on turns. A certain turn on the way to my house will rev slam 9/10. Only that turn, its never done it besides that.

I don't understand how this is acceptable. You mean to tell me that I have to drive with my hand on the gear selector everytime I get in the truck, so that while I'm cornering, I can turn tow/haul on and off??? That's absolutely ridiculous. Why doesn't Spartan revise their tunes? It's OBVIOUS that it is in the tuning. We change trucks over all the time for this very reason alone.

Gearhead has it figured out,, and I can get in my truck, put it in drive, and never think twice about what the transmission is going to do.

08Monster

Reaction score
I never said it was. I'm switching tuners also. Like I said though, it was ONE specific corner it would happen at.

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
I never said it was. I'm switching tuners also. Like I said though, it was ONE specific corner it would happen at.

Sorry, I wasn't picking on you. It just gets on my nerves when they coined the phrase Rev Slam, and blame it on an issue with the truck, then come up with all kinds of solutions. When in reality it is a tuning issue that they just haven't found a fix for. It's a lot easier to blame it on the truck.

Just throw an extra quart or two of fluid at it. Reprogram it once in a while. Throw it in tow/haul around a corner. It's all a bunch of excuses for poor tuning.

Oh-ate6.4PSD

Reaction score
Ease that foot back into it was my fix. When i was runnin 35s if i let off below 50mph and got back in it hard it will revslam

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
Sorry, I wasn't picking on you. It just gets on my nerves when they coined the phrase Rev Slam, and blame it on an issue with the truck, then come up with all kinds of solutions. When in reality it is a tuning issue that they just haven't found a fix for. It's a lot easier to blame it on the truck.

Just throw an extra quart or two of fluid at it. Reprogram it once in a while. Throw it in tow/haul around a corner. It's all a bunch of excuses for poor tuning.

I also have a rev slam with spartan tunes on my job 2 drw it does it no mater what tune,reloading the tune ,extra quart of trans fluid ,tow haul on turns it did it with the original trans and it still does it with the new trans the truck has now.

I've learned to just deal with it but if spartan could try to "tune it out" that would be great.

The last time 6.4 spartan tunes were revised was in November of 2011.

IDK when us spartan guys are going to get revised tunes and but I hope its soon LOL.

Another problem is the "touchy" throttle on 250+ tunes that I wish they could tune out every single bump you hit it "bucks" being a DRW it appears very often and you can get very annoyed fast on just a 20 minute drive ive tried back off the throttle before bumps change fuel filters put my foot a certain way nothing fixes it.

I rode in gearhead tuned trucks and I love it and that's why I always recommend them no rev slams no touchy throttle and "bucking" on bumps.

Overall more refined tuning.

This post it not to "bash" Spartan its just the "bugs" I have found running the tunes over the years.

Last edited:

MrMike2010

Reaction score
The rev slam and not having the option for custom tunes was the reason I switched from spartan to h&s. The h&s shifted better out of the box then I switched to gearhead and never looked back. Although I will say I believe the spartan 310 is a stronger running tune. I don't have any hard data on that but that tune flat out hauls. Specially the older v2 tunes.

Crazysob

Reaction score
I had a good rev slam on one turn as well running canned tunes on my sct x4. Gearhead tunes cleared that right up. Mileage is slightly worse but I didn't buy a diesel to pinch pennies... Don't think I would run any other tunes other than Gearhead at this point.

CT9AIX

Reaction score
I pretty much agree with everyone else here. Had Spartan on my truck, same rev/slam, talked to mick multiple times and he said add tranny oil or it's just the truck which I knew was BS because I had gearhead tuning on before Spartan, switched back to gearhead and all has been well.

It felt like the Spartan was a stronger engine tune and got better mileage running their 310 tune... But that tranny shifting/tuning could knock fillings out of people's teeth. Kinda sad because they are just letting customers slip away by not trying to help with it.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.