18 degree differences wtf?

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Truck gas been studded and deleted for 15k miles. Since my last oil change, maybe 1k miles ago, I've had high oil temps. My coolant is around 184, but my oil is spiking up to 198-198 on the highway. Previous to this I ran within 5 degrees of each other.

Oil cooler was replaced with OEM when the work was done by Mass Diesel. The entire system was flushed and a coolant filter is in place. Could I have a clogged oil cooler already?

Back on side roads they hover closer, but still a 10 degree difference. Could I have put too much oil in truck, and that is causing an issue? Just thinking simple stuff first.

Ideas before I ***k **** up?

charlie-2

Reaction score
I'm usually 30 deg. Apart coolant at 190 to 200 and oil at 220 or more. I think mines clogged

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

bboteler

Reaction score
charlie-2 i'd say you are def clogged...assuming you are getting accurate readings.
GreenMachine are you up to operating temp when this happens, not on initial startup but been running a good 15-20 min??

Jeremyleggett07

Reaction score
Mine does the same thing I run about 18-20* difference hwy and about 11* city....been told mine may not be clogged due to my oil is never really above 220ish in summer or right now 210ish in winter....I've sample my coolant and it was pretty clean. I was told Absolute Diesel has a delta kit that will reroute coolant and help cool everything down BUT doesn't work with Egr delete kits. Was told one is in the works. Waiting to see

GreenMachine

Reaction score
charlie-2 i'd say you are def clogged...assuming you are getting accurate readings.
GreenMachine are you up to operating temp when this happens, not on initial startup but been running a good 15-20 min??

Oh yeah, this occurs once warmed up. I never run it unless it's warm even in summer. She hates being cold.

I never really break 200, even in summer. So I'm wondering if it is really an issue. Yes the difference is huge but my oil still stays sub 200 usually.

dsberman94

Reaction score
im just curious, what oil did you use when you changed it? i just changed my oil and i know our motors aren't the same but my oil temps have been much higher than before since i changed it.

bboteler

Reaction score
94 I was on the same page, curious what oil for the op as well. seems strange to have such a high delta, wonder what deltas were before the now cooler...

GreenMachine

Reaction score
I had used delo 15-40 previously. This time I ran the powerstroke motorcraft 15-40. I had previously run the motor craft stuff all the time

GreenMachine

Reaction score
No idea on deltas before the new cooler because I had no livewire. HG's popped and caused me to do all of the work on the truck.

swinky

Reaction score
My deltas are high. Went from worn out delo 15-40 to fresh 5w40 valvoline synthetic with no effect on deltas. Studded 10k ago coolant filter in place. I'm letting it ride though, zero ***s given as long as oil stays below 220

Sent from my SM-T210R using Tapatalk

bboteler

Reaction score
wow...maybe some of em just run hotter...aren't the latest flashes supposed to set a code if the deltas get that far apart?? i can't get mine to break 200 on ect or eot unless i pull in the mountains for a looooong time.

swinky

Reaction score
wow...maybe some of em just run hotter...aren't the latest flashes supposed to set a code if the deltas get that far apart?? i can't get mine to break 200 on ect or eot unless i pull in the mountains for a looooong time.

Maybe that's what mines doing! After a long hard pull it gies into a limp mode. No codes though just runs like a bag of dicks after.

Snake

Reaction score
Truck gas been studded and deleted for 15k miles. Since my last oil change, maybe 1k miles ago, I've had high oil temps. My coolant is around 184, but my oil is spiking up to 198-198 on the highway. Previous to this I ran within 5 degrees of each other.

Oil cooler was replaced with OEM when the work was done by Mass Diesel. The entire system was flushed and a coolant filter is in place. Could I have a clogged oil cooler already?

Back on side roads they hover closer, but still a 10 degree difference. Could I have put too much oil in truck, and that is causing an issue? Just thinking simple stuff first.

Ideas before I ***k **** up?

Most likely your cooler is clogged.

Mine does the same thing I run about 18-20* difference hwy and about 11* city....been told mine may not be clogged due to my oil is never really above 220ish in summer or right now 210ish in winter....I've sample my coolant and it was pretty clean. I was told Absolute Diesel has a delta kit that will reroute coolant and help cool everything down BUT doesn't work with Egr delete kits. Was told one is in the works. Waiting to see

Yours too.

My deltas are high. Went from worn out delo 15-40 to fresh 5w40 valvoline synthetic with no effect on deltas. Studded 10k ago coolant filter in place. I'm letting it ride though, zero ***s given as long as oil stays below 220

As is yours.

Maybe that's what mines doing! After a long hard pull it gies into a limp mode. No codes though just runs like a bag of dicks after.

Probably because your oil temps are spiking past 253* and your truck is defueling as a safety measure.

O2ShootTheJ

Reaction score

Lol mine breaks 200 eot going to grandmas on a 30* day. And it was just built a month ago

swinky

Reaction score
Most likely your cooler is clogged.

Yours too.

As is yours.

Probably because your oil temps are spiking past 253* and your truck is defueling as a safety measure.

I hope it's not getting that high. The highest the sct is picking up is 225

GreenMachine

Reaction score
Lol mine breaks 200 eot going to grandmas on a 30* day. And it was just built a month ago

Right, if I have a clogged cooler that easily, as do you most likely, this thing is a massive hunk of chit no doubt. I don't have time for this malarkey. 15k and a clogged cooler? International can get ***ked as far as the six leaker goes. I'm not pulling that bish. ***k it I'll drive it.

Edit

Btw, thank you for the input snake, I do appreciate it even if I come off sounding like an azz hole, vodka on Christmas Eve will do that

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online