1989 f150 *unknown* project

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
That's what I'm doing on mine for now. I want to order dream beams but shipping up to ak cost almost as much as the beams. Don't cut to much on the springs though. You won't be able to make it up in an alignment.

:whs: just a little at a time.... or if you think you can heat the coils even enough with a torch, heat it up till it sags some...

little luke

Reaction score
I keep on staring at this deciding if I want to use this or not. I'm just not sure what kind of power I can squeeze out of it.
abu6uzuh.jpg

JoeDaddy

Reaction score
It can't be worse than a speed density 5.0, and the mileage will double or more. I think you keep starring because you're wondering "why not?".

little luke

Reaction score
It's a kubota v2203. Its in a reefer unit. This one doesn't have a turbo, but ill put one on it. It runs like a top. Only reason we quit using this unit is because the compressor took a dump and we went to an electric unit. We unhooked the compressor and it fires right up. I've read up on several swaps in ranger and other small pick ups. I wonder what the wieght difference is between a ranger with the same cab and 4x4 wieghts? This truck with a full tank of gas and me and my woman in it wieght in at 4700. So that's around 4370 leaving the **** in the bed.

Last edited:

little luke

Reaction score
Well got all 6 shocks on last night at 12:30 when I couldn't sleep. The originals were trash. Oem crap can't hold up to 25 years of abuse I don't guess.
a6asezej.jpg

Ordered surgical tubing to fix the door seal. Next issue, soft break pedal goes all the way to the floor. Assuming its the master cylinder. I can buy a rebuild kit for $26, or I can buy a refurbished one for $30 on rock auto. Any advantage to rebuilding it myself?

little luke

Reaction score
Well two things broke on me. With encouragement from a friend, I decided to try and leave a few marks coming out of the driveway. It didnt work, the ass end to the truck jumped proboly 4 times before I got it out of gear and stopped. Now I've got a loud clunk noise coming from the passenger side floor board when I take off. Second thing was the glass in my mirror decided to jump ship going down the highway.
ha2a9ate.jpg

AKHILF

Reaction score
Sounds just like my first truck. 89 f150 with a 302 5 speed. It would hop every time. Now my project truck is a 94 f150 300 6 cylinder 5 speed and it will lay pretty nice burnouts without a hop.

little luke

Reaction score
I'm leaning toward swapping in a 300. Everyone brags about how bullet proof they are and I like the ideas of adding a turbo. I don't think ill swap in a Diesel engine just because I don't want to go through the trouble of swapping to a solid axle, unless I've miss read something and this front end can be built to handle the wieght.

This is 15 minutes of scraping and 3 coats of aircraft stripper
ura7agys.jpg

AKHILF

Reaction score
I was reading about a guy that put a chevy 6.5 turbo on his 300. Did read much though, I dont know how much power it ended up with.

little luke

Reaction score
I believe I read the same thread. After this weekends little experience, I believe I've decided on the route this thing is going. I need a dedicated work truck. Pretty much spent all Sunday getting my buddies s10 back on the road, but the actual time fixing it only took 20 minutes. Rest of the time was spent going back and forth 20 miles to get my tools. So I want to have a truck I can keep loaded down with tools, an air compressor, oxy acetylene torch, welder. Ill end up building a bed, a front bumper, more then likely bed lining the cab again. And I'm looking for a 300 at the moment, it'll end up getting a turbo. So this is where I'm at right now. What else should I stouten up while I'm tearing this thing down?

little luke

Reaction score
Well, bringing this back up since I just ordered several parts for it. The deal is my yellow truck is going down and I need a truck for work. So im polishing this turd. Parts im hoping that will be in this weekend are 2450lb leaf springs, 2000lb ride control air springs, and parts for the traction bars. In the process of ordering new bushings foe the front and rear sway bars, body mounts, motor and trans mounts. Im getting a set of kenda klever mt tires in a 32x11.5 for the stock 15x8 rims next week. Since last time ive posted, the truck has been completely repainted with bed liner and I built a new bumper for the front. Here's how it sets now.

Attachments

• WP_20150317_19_03_37_Pro.jpg
    WP_20150317_19_03_37_Pro.jpg
    998.3 KB · Views: 63

little luke

Reaction score
Yup. Actually picked up a donor truck for $300. 88 2wd, 4 speed. Ita beat all to hell but runs like a top, and surprisingly the ac works very well. My mom has the truck at the moment to use at the farm. She likes it because she can't kill it. Im waiting on harbor freight to put the 12k winches on sale for $299 so I can pick up a few. Only thing I've messed with on the motor is adjusted the timing and put together an efan kit and removed the mechanical fan. Averages 16 mpg now. Ive got a serious front end alignment issue. The tires on the front only have 7k on them and the outside edge is down to the wire.

AKHILF

Reaction score
These 300's will not die. IV tried. Dropping the clutch I'm second or third at full rpm won't do it on a tired motor so I really don't know what will. This ones leaking so much oil and coolant now I can't believe it. I only actully driven it on the road once in the last 6 months and it blew the head gasket. Now it just sits in front of my house and I move it when needed. And when I move it I still rod on it in the street as hard as I can. Havnt filled up anything since the last time I drove it on the highway. IT STILL WON'T DIE. I have the new motor all built for it and ready to go in but since I have a few other rigs I'd rather drive now it's at the bottom of the list. This motor has leaked so much oil over the past couple years I put a diaper on it and just fill it with my old used diesel oil. Still loves it. I even ran 116 octane it for a while because my uncle switched fuels on his drag car. Still smells like like it's burning race gas even know IV filled it up at the pump 4 or 5 times since then. If the motor finally popped I'd swap the big block in. Until then I have fun rallying it on my property. You can't buy this much fun.

Latest posts

Members online