200,000k build help and suggestions?

jb03

Reaction score
Im almost at 200,000 miles on my 7.3 and i know things are going to start to happen. My up pipes are leaking pretty bad, seems like one or some injectors are slowly not working and i was told my torque convertor is going out. My idea is to just eventually rebuild the engine. I don't want to keep it stock though but don't want something way to extreme. I basically want something that is pretty quick but also very reliable. I assume I should first start on the tranny. Leaning towards BTS but im in colorado so thats a 12-13 hour drive. Im looking for some opinions of what i should do to the engine.

38R?
AFE stage 2 intake?
Custom tunes?
Built Tranny?
Regulated Return?
Fuel System?

All help and suggestions are appreciated. I want to do it right when i have to rebuild so i don't mind spending a bit more money the first time.

Thanks,

Jake

DocBar

Reaction score
Im almost at 200,000 miles on my 7.3 and i know things are going to start to happen. My up pipes are leaking pretty bad, seems like one or some injectors are slowly not working and i was told my torque convertor is going out. My idea is to just eventually rebuild the engine. I don't want to keep it stock though but don't want something way to extreme. I basically want something that is pretty quick but also very reliable. I assume I should first start on the tranny. Leaning towards BTS but im in colorado so thats a 12-13 hour drive. Im looking for some opinions of what i should do to the engine.

38R?
AFE stage 2 intake?
Custom tunes?
Built Tranny?
Regulated Return?
Fuel System?

All help and suggestions are appreciated. I want to do it right when i have to rebuild so i don't mind spending a bit more money the first time.

Thanks,

Jake
Every thing you listed plus bellowed up pipes. Throw in some mild injectors and you'll be ready to go.

johnholman

Reaction score
RiffRaff has really good prices on the IH bellowed up pipes. If you do injectors skip Stage 1's. For a little more money you can go bigger. Regulated return smoothed my truck out quite a bit.

David N

Reaction score
If your engine was serviced properly, I wouldn't worry about rebuilding it just yet. Although it does have PMRs. But if it has significant blow by or smokes excessively, then yes you should probably go ahead and plan on rebuilding a motor.

As far as a good setup, go with the International Bellowed Uppipes, GTP38R, Casserly 250/100's and either a BTS or Twisted Diesel Transmission. And of course a tuner of your choice, and a fuel system with a regulated return. Once again, just pick one and go.

It will be a very stout setup. You would be well over 500hp and trust me, its very fun to drive on the street. When you start getting over 600hp, you start loosing reliability and drivability.

TyCorr

Reaction score
don't do stg II' s either. I had stock ad's and got these 175/80's for free. I had them gone through and 100% nozzles put on. Still is not enough. I think 238s and some 80 or 100 over nozzles will be good.

It depends on what you want. I'm more interested in the most reliable power I.can get.

jb03

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Like you all said I want something reliable yet still fun to drive.

DocBar: Yea i forgot to mention that. Do you have an specific brand of injector? Stage IIs im thinking too.

johnholman: I agree. Doesn't seem like a huge price jump. Regulated return and fuel system is what im thinking

David N: The truck is in really good shape actually. My dad bought it brand new and i bought it from him 2 years ago. So i feel really comfortable putting money into basically a one owner truck. Should i be worried about my pmrs?

Thanks for the help everyone. BTW I should be installing OUO Traction Blocks at the end of this week to try and help out with axle wrap with 37s.

Last edited:

DocBar

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Like you all said I want something reliable yet still fun to drive.

DocBar: Yea i forgot to mention that. Do you have an specific brand of injector? Stage IIs im thinking too.
johnholman: I agree. Doesn't seem like a huge price jump. Regulated return and fuel system is what im thinking

David N: The truck is in really good shape actually. My dad bought it brand new and i bought it from him 2 years ago. So i feel really comfortable putting money into basically a one owner truck. Should i be worried about my pmrs?

Thanks for the help everyone. BTW I should be installing OUO Traction Blocks at the end of this week to try and help out with axle wrap with 37s.

I'm pretty limited in different injector builders. I would suggest buying bigger than you think you need so you have room to grow into them. Before you buy anything, call and talk to builders and tuners. Also use the search function on here. I really like Gearhead's tunes.

jb03

Reaction score
I might go with elite diesel engineerings tunes by tadd because im pretty close to them. But yea just searching out before I do anything

chromehound

Reaction score
I'd go with a BTS for the trans - I'm pretty sure there are guys who install them in Colorado so you wouldn't have to drive.

bruce

Reaction score
any shop can install a tranny, it can be shipped to your house. and i think the guy means that he should have went with a diy intake to save some denero

jb03

Reaction score
any shop can install a tranny, it can be shipped to your house. and i think the guy means that he should have went with a diy intake to save some denero

Ya i know your right but Ive just heard where people prefer to have it installed by Brian himself with all the warranty stuff.

littleredstroker

Reaction score
What do you mean?

When I got mine I think it was 489$ yeah its a good set up but vs a tymar which is half the price. I was doing some reading and they were saying that air under the hood was only like 20 degrees warmer than outside temps. If I was building a drag racer where a tenth of a second it may make a difference but for a daily driver I think a tymar type would suffice

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

jb03

Reaction score
Il let others jump in on this so you can get a 100% correct answer lol

dietoremain

Reaction score
200k isnt alot of miles for a 7.3, heck mine is almost there and runs better than ever still, I am planning to get some new injectors sooner than later before mine get too worn out.. stock trans doin just fine, but i've taken precautions to make sure it lasts(lotsa coolin!!) anyway good luck with your build. :)

Latest posts

Members online