2004 F250 KR Fuel Gauge reading empty and ambient air temp 20 degrees low

robrike1

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

2004 F250 KR 4 wheel drive 6.0
6 3/4 ft bed

I have searched and searched and cannot find consistent info regarding a fuel gauge (single tank) that started reading inaccurate then eventually went to reading empty with low fuel light on. Maybe a week later it just read empty, no low fuel light on now.

At the same time I noticed my overhead console was showing outside ambient air temp was about 17 to 20 degrees lower than the actual real temp. I found someone had posted same scenario but they never followed up on what they did to resolve it.

I've used Forscan to run the gauge sweep test and it performs properly. I am getting this code on Forscan:

===IC DTC B1201===
Code: B1201 - Fuel gauge sender open circuit or short circuit to positive

My range on overhead console seems to know when I fill up although perhaps not super accurate. Never was even when gauge worked but it knows somehow that tank was filled, does it read off fuel sender unit? I don't see how it couldn't which makes me think ground further down the line.

I'm about to move 2,000 miles across the Country in 2 weeks so my ability to troubleshoot is limited due to wife freaking out about packing.

Has anyone run across a similar issue where fuel gauge died and overhead console temp read low as well? Did you find a common ground? I see in Alldata that the sender seems to have a yellow/white???? Wire that runs from sender and somehow passes thru overhead console as well but I'm not great with wiring diagrams and alldata seems a little clumsy, or maybe it is me. But to me it looks like sender hits overhead then maybe on to fuel gauge or fuel gauge on to overhead.

Any insight would be tremendously appreciated. I've got Chevron Techron Plus in tank now to clean the sender sweeper. I think Ford actually had that in a TSB at some point as something to try first.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Hey everyone.

2004 F250 KR 4 wheel drive 6.0
6 3/4 ft bed

I have searched and searched and cannot find consistent info regarding a fuel gauge (single tank) that started reading inaccurate then eventually went to reading empty with low fuel light on. Maybe a week later it just read empty, no low fuel light on now.

At the same time I noticed my overhead console was showing outside ambient air temp was about 17 to 20 degrees lower than the actual real temp. I found someone had posted same scenario but they never followed up on what they did to resolve it.

I've used Forscan to run the gauge sweep test and it performs properly. I am getting this code on Forscan:

===IC DTC B1201===
Code: B1201 - Fuel gauge sender open circuit or short circuit to positive

My range on overhead console seems to know when I fill up although perhaps not super accurate. Never was even when gauge worked but it knows somehow that tank was filled, does it read off fuel sender unit? I don't see how it couldn't which makes me think ground further down the line.

I'm about to move 2,000 miles across the Country in 2 weeks so my ability to troubleshoot is limited due to wife freaking out about packing.

Has anyone run across a similar issue where fuel gauge died and overhead console temp read low as well? Did you find a common ground? I see in Alldata that the sender seems to have a yellow/white???? Wire that runs from sender and somehow passes thru overhead console as well but I'm not great with wiring diagrams and alldata seems a little clumsy, or maybe it is me. But to me it looks like sender hits overhead then maybe on to fuel gauge or fuel gauge on to overhead.

Any insight would be tremendously appreciated. I've got Chevron Techron Plus in tank now to clean the sender sweeper. I think Ford actually had that in a TSB at some point as something to try first.

Thanks in advance.

Robert

6.0 fuel senders are known for being pieces of shit. Put a new sender in it for that issue.

The overhead console reading a low temp is one I haven’t run into a bunch, it’s not in Celsius or something stupid like that by accident is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

robrike1

Reaction score
I'll give the sender a shot then. Probably be a few weeks before I can do it but I'll follow up on it when finished.

Outside air temp is definitely set to Fahrenheit.

Thanks,

Robert

robrike1

Reaction score
I'm sure it is pure coincidence and when I go home tomorrow it probably won't work again but my fuel gauge is back up and accurate.

It has been a slow day at work so I changed my fuel filters and my rear axle oil and when I finished and started it up to look for leaks the fuel gauge was showing full which it is. Probably hit and miss crappy sender unit. It does have Chevron Techron Plus in it but I was skeptical of that working. I better shut up before I completely jinx it.

Outside temp display is still off by 18 degrees though.

Robert

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
I'm sure it is pure coincidence and when I go home tomorrow it probably won't work again but my fuel gauge is back up and accurate.

It has been a slow day at work so I changed my fuel filters and my rear axle oil and when I finished and started it up to look for leaks the fuel gauge was showing full which it is. Probably hit and miss crappy sender unit. It does have Chevron Techron Plus in it but I was skeptical of that working. I better shut up before I completely jinx it.

Outside temp display is still off by 18 degrees though.

Robert

So what happens to these senders is they get crap built up on the resistor card or some rust buildup or other stuff, so sometimes it’ll read right, and others it won’t.

robrike1

Reaction score
So what happens to these senders is they get crap built up on the resistor card or some rust buildup or other stuff, so sometimes it’ll read right, and others it won’t.

Ok, that sounds like what I was reading the Techron stuff was supposed to help with if it was a Sulphur build up.

"Check Engine Light on with P0460 Fuel Level Sensor Code:
This may be caused by a miscommunication of fuel level ststus between the instrument cluster and engine computer. This code is set when the engine computer does not see the fuel level dropping it expects. It may be caused by customer-installed items, such as a remote start system that does not power the dash when activated, an over-sized fuel tank or in-bed fuel tank. If these conditions do not exsist, the engine computer should be reprogrammed using WDS/IDS version 43.4 or higher. This condition can also be caused by fueling with the engine running, parking on an angle, or driving up a long grade. In some cases the fuel level sender may be faulty, or have a sulfur build up on the sender and have code P463(use Chevron Techron Plus Concentrate to correct). TSB 06-13-11"

I'd say I'll be pulling and replacing the sender in the next month or two. I'm all for Additives that prevent gelling and/or lubricate injectors but kind of skeptical of "snake oil" cleaning claims. I figured for $20 though it was worth a shot since several people with same issue claim it helped or even solved their problem.

I'm also hoping my gear oil change today and adding a full bottle of the Ford limited slip additive will help my chattering in my rear axle when making a turn at an intersection or stop light. So there will be 2 things to update on in the next day or two.

Thanks for the information about the sender 6.0 Tech. I'll keep this updated.

Robert

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Ok, that sounds like what I was reading the Techron stuff was supposed to help with if it was a Sulphur build up.

"Check Engine Light on with P0460 Fuel Level Sensor Code:
This may be caused by a miscommunication of fuel level ststus between the instrument cluster and engine computer. This code is set when the engine computer does not see the fuel level dropping it expects. It may be caused by customer-installed items, such as a remote start system that does not power the dash when activated, an over-sized fuel tank or in-bed fuel tank. If these conditions do not exsist, the engine computer should be reprogrammed using WDS/IDS version 43.4 or higher. This condition can also be caused by fueling with the engine running, parking on an angle, or driving up a long grade. In some cases the fuel level sender may be faulty, or have a sulfur build up on the sender and have code P463(use Chevron Techron Plus Concentrate to correct). TSB 06-13-11"

I'd say I'll be pulling and replacing the sender in the next month or two. I'm all for Additives that prevent gelling and/or lubricate injectors but kind of skeptical of "snake oil" cleaning claims. I figured for $20 though it was worth a shot since several people with same issue claim it helped or even solved their problem.

I'm also hoping my gear oil change today and adding a full bottle of the Ford limited slip additive will help my chattering in my rear axle when making a turn at an intersection or stop light. So there will be 2 things to update on in the next day or two.

Thanks for the information about the sender 6.0 Tech. I'll keep this updated.

Robert

I’ve done that tsb 100 times, it’s probably worked twice. I do t remember the part about the additive, but the reprogram has never worked. Back when they were under warranty, used to do the program and tell the customer I’d see them in a month or so to replace the sender

bismic

Reaction score
I’ve done that tsb 100 times, it’s probably worked twice. I do t remember the part about the additive, but the reprogram has never worked. Back when they were under warranty, used to do the program and tell the customer I’d see them in a month or so to replace the sender

Same experience here - the additive never worked that I saw.

robrike1

Reaction score
Well,
Gauge worked about 2 miles and went back to empty yesterday. Kicked back to life today so seems it is indeed a wonky sender. Can't fix it for a month or so. No time currently.
I'll pick a new one up next week and swap it out in a month or so and update this thread.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll update as soon as I swap it out.

Robert

robrike1

Reaction score
Following up on this,
Changing fuel sender out solved both gauge issue and the outside air temp display being off by 20 degrees. Both work properly now.
Only thing I can figure is temp sensor and fuel gauge share a common ground in there and old gauge was fowling up temp display.

Chevron addative helped a little off and on but gauge was highly inaccurate still so I had it replaced last month. $900 later is good as new.

Robert

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.