2005 f350 6.0

spence36

Reaction score
Ok I'm new to the forum and I'm not a mechanic and I don't work on it myself but I am mechanically inclined . With that being said I'm a rookie but here it is guys Please Help!!!!!! 2005 6.0 have replaced two turbos , head gasket and studs , egr coolers , all The injectors over time , glow
Plugs ,?the hose and clamps that blow off the turbo , last road trip it was over heating due to fan not kicking on haven't taken it in for that yet , 4 wheel Drive has been fixed . a bunch of other stuff can't remember but all told prolly 28-32 percent of k in repair , good thing is I've always made it home never has she left me on the side of Road I've blown head gasket added coolant while towing pulled it off so I'm reluctant to let her go for that reason .The truck runs great and pulls hard when working. It is not my daily driver anymore and never realIy was only for about 3 years 50k miles .! I drove it stop and go city traffic . Only road trips now and tow a 26"toy box about 11k loaded with all the desert toys . It has 138k miles on it and I dunno what I can do to make it more reliable! I mean there are so many opinions and options does Any one really know what to do ?? Should I keep it since it's just my hauler and only used for trips ? Need some help here please , should I sell it and buy a new truck are the new ones Any better ? I've always had fords should I stay with them after spending almost 2/3's of what I paid for the truck I repair ?? Anyone know a bit the other Hd diesels ?? I mean I'm a ford guy I have a 2011 f150 and two e350 work vans.
And love them so I dunno anyone please help me out I want my truck to be reliable and not Have a 2-4K fix ever year I me its gets maybe 5500 a year since 2010 and all theses problems ?
Any help would be appreciated any advice , and not opinions but facts please or close as can be .

Cruising my Prewar Schwinn

spence36

Reaction score
Anyone ?? What can I do to make my truck more reliable I'd hate to replace it and have new problem just don't know there's so many negatives with 6.0's but i gotta say she runs great and makes it home but at anytime could another few K to keep her going Any advice on how to upgrade in anyway there's so many after market options I have no idea need doe advice I want to keep her Amy good products out there that really work a or a good set up any one has and like ?

Atsah

Reaction score
To be honest, a 6.0 doesn't sound like the truck for you, if you don't work on it yourself, more than likely it will cost you a good bunch money every year..

I have had two of them and I didn't work on them either and they cost me a pile of money every year..

The new trucks are better but there are only two ways most people can afford them,

1) you make a lot of money
or
2) you use the truck to make money..

RSK

Reaction score
your first step would be to ****** the egr.... and replace the oil cooler at the same time, and add a coolant filter, then make sure you do the oil every 5,000 miles and fuel filters every 10k.

RSK

Reaction score
Any newer trucks are common rail injection, and while they are reliable for the most part if the injector pump goes truck dies out and that's it. 6.0's are fired off oil pressure and the injection pump moves oil, more reliable and a 6.0 will make it home with a few bad injectors a newer, not so much....

spence36

Reaction score
Was going
To look into replacing the egr with bullet proof diesel , I always changed the oil etc ...perfect service record but it still had crushed my wallet but like I said before it's always got
Me home regardless of problem . Thinking about dumping more into it , wish I could work on it myself but impossible with my business to run and kids business and I need a truck to tow my desert toys that I do work on , .. So Any other Options or thoughts on what else I should upgrade ?

jake74

Reaction score
Get a 12 valve straight shift dodge cummins lol. It will run forever even if neglected but truck will fall apart around the engine. I have 2 6.0's and like them but I do all my own work. I also have a 98 12 valve straight shift dodge with little over 400,000 hard neglected miles and still going but the truck itself ain't near as good as a ford.

spence36

Reaction score
Hey jake that's funny my friend owns a body shop
In Montana and has the truck your talking about and he says 600,000 motor with a 80,000 body lol ...

jake74

Reaction score
Hey jake that's funny my friend owns a body shop
In Montana and has the truck your talking about and he says 600,000 motor with a 80,000 body lol ...

There tough ol dogs just a little low on build quality lol.

spence36

Reaction score
Hey jake so what should I do to improve my truck I want to keep it . So I guess what should I do to it ?

Latest posts

Members online