2008 F550 misfires

IHPowerstroke7.3

Reaction score
Last summer had this truck come from another shop, poor fuel quality, tired engine (low 300-330 compression numbers) and it was missing on a couple cylinders, can't recall which ones at the moment. Advised the customer that the engine wasn't to healthy but customer wanted the injectors replaced. Flushed out the fuel tank and replaced injectors. Customer has their own fuel tank which I recommended having it tested and they were told it is "fine".

Truck is back again, cylinders 2,4,5,6,8 are not firing. Again found poor quality fuel, cloudy with some water. Drained the tank using the lift pump, changed filters. Noticed when draining the tank the fuel seemed to be aerated. I dropped the tank to pull the sender and have a look, tank is clean. Smoke tested the sender pickup to see if there were any cracks in it, smoke tested the line from the sender to the lift pump and nothing. Put it back together, hooked up the air bleeder and the low side wasn't aerated. Tried bleeding the high side and I have lots of air coming through the bleeder hose I have hooked up through the return line at the fuel cooler (using the ford tool). Did the "balloon test on the return line to see if it was an injector seal issue and I have no compression gases coming through the return.

Have a lift pump coming for it, but does anyone else know where I could be getting air from? I'm sure the truck is going to need another set of injectors but I want to solve the aeration problem before it wrecks another set.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Could be a compromised washer on the hi pressure pump, low pressure side, or one of the washers on the suction side of the filter. In theory it could suck air in while running.

Latest posts

Members online