2014 cummins or 2015 powerstroke

mfoltz

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a new truck in 2014 and im stuck between a 2014 dodge 2500 ccsb longhorn Laramie or the 2015 powerstroke f350 lariat ultimate. I have the same post on the cummins forum and would like to get your guys opions. I know most of you will say the powerstroke because it is a powerstroke forum, but I just want to clear some things up. A lot of guys are saying the powerstrokes have complete engine failures like drop valves. I also heard the fuel system is a weak link. How are they holding up and with the changes in 2015 do you think they will be a really reliable engine like the cummins? Don't need bashing on dodge just want some reason why you choose the truck you did. I never like dodge truck but in 2013 and 2014 they seem to really step up their game. The interior Is just as nice as ford now and I heard they fix the front end problem. I think both trucks look good on the outside. Another thing that worries me is the warranty. I heard ford can be picky about warranty work and they only have 60,000 mile warranty while dodge has 100,000 I think could be wrong. Thanks for the help just trying to make a right decision I plan on keeping this truck for 10 plus years

mfoltz

Reaction score
no im not I was sold on the ford but you cant ignore dodge they seem to have a good truck. Im a ford guy but ford diesel haven't had a good rep sence the 7.3. My brother has a 2011 powerstroke and he loves it but it only has 28,000 miles. Just trying to do research its a lot of money to spend. I had a 6.4 and loved it until it cost me over 10 grand and I took realy good care of it I just don't want that to happen again. I know any truck can break its the risk with anything you buy

PTSUPERD

Reaction score
I still dont think the Dodge interior is a nice. Yes they have improved it a ton.

Ford has the nicest interior of all 3 IMO

Breaking Habits

Reaction score
You cant really compare the 11-14 platform to the 15 because so many variables are different now.

I would take a ford over a dodge anyway, you are buying a truck not a motor, its just an added plus that the 6.7 ford drives that much nicer.

Reaction score
As far as iam aware it was on the 11s and maybe a couple 12's that were dropping valves. but over all theyre really good trucks. Theres no doubt cummins are good motors. But for me thats where it stops. I got burnt on a 6.4 also but so far iam really happy with my 6.7. It runs great, its got a super nice interior. its quiet running and driving down the road. Every vehicle has its strong points and weak points. To me its just about loyality and fords has been in my family before i was born. Not every vehicle is perfect or is bullet proof. But it seems that ford has really got a good thing started with the 6.7. if they keep refining it and making it better theres no reason why it cant be named the best, like the old 7.3s are now.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
Ford all the way bud. If you want to replace parts every year, go for the Dodge. If you want a tough, reliable truck that is every bit tough, buy the Ford. You pay more for the Ford, but in the long run you get a much nicer truck. Best of luck in your decision.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Just so you're aware the newer 6.7 cummins engine that dodge is using is having just as many head gasket issues as the 6.0 had.

Twan

Reaction score
My uncle has the 6.7 ford, think it's a 12. He has over 70k on it without trouble. Before that he has not had a ford last him to 60k with a motor blowing up. Think he's had 4 6.0's and 3 or 4 of the 6.4's. He really likes the 6.7.
The trucks were all stock. He's a famer and used the heck out them.

ChattyCathy

Reaction score
I have owned both (2012's)...The Dodge has some features that I really miss but overall the ford is a better truck IMO.

mfoltz

Reaction score
I had a 12 dodge too and I liked the ford better that's why I was leaning toward ford. I just here some big bills from engine problems. ill prob go with ford im just not stuck to one brand I like them all. When I had my dodge what really made me disappointed was when I pulled a gooseneck for the first time it was a dog compared to my brothers powerstroke. Their is guys on the cummins forum who said ford interior is cheap and not nice lol I said your crazy I agree ford interior is top of the line.

mfoltz

Reaction score
one thing I really liked over the ford was the exhaust brake but the 15 will have that now

RedRice589

Reaction score
I think the only thing I would like better is the inline 6 motor.... The rest is crap. The exhaust brake is ok but if you tow that heavy get a big rig. I love mine and I hope that the '15's are that much better.

swinky

Reaction score
Dodge has been claiming better front end parts, better transmission and overall better quality in their ram trucks for as long as I can remember. Guess what! they claimed all that bs when they put the cummings in that newer body style in 03 and it was still a piece of chit. I'm sure the 14 dodge is built better than the 13 dodge. But on the other hand that 14 dodge isn't built better than a 2004 ford. They're improving but light years behind the Fords imo.

You must admit the ford is a better built truck. Instead of looking at just the engine look at the engine/trans combination. I think if you put the trans into perspective you'll make the right decision.

Go drive a 2011-2013 dodge with some miles on it then go drive a similar super duty, I dare ya :cool:

dsberman94

Reaction score
go watch the comparison videos on youtube. go ask people who have driven both brand new then with 100k miles on them. ask a chevy guy who has driven all three whether he likes the ford or dodge better. youll probably get different answers for all different reasons but its gonna be up to you in the end. the ford probably costs more for a reason because you get what you pay for.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
My '04 Dodge 2500 Cummings was the biggest sh!tbomb after 63k. That's when all the problems started...injector, front end, fuel pump, A/C parts, trans, front end again, front end again, computer, awful interior rattling, leaking roof, door seals rotting away, seat ripping, rusting bumpers/frame after 3 years, easily denting body panels, list goes on. Every year it was another major repair. I was always a Ford guy but bought the Dodge because it was cheaper, and man did I learn my lesson.

Bottom line is, it's all about what you like. Test drive them both and go from there. The 6.7 Ford is awesome! MPG's great, rides awesome, tons of power, I absolutely love mine. The Cummings guys will say that their trucks are the best, but who cares? It's what YOU want.
BTW I had an exhaust brake in my Cummings, and miss it on the Ford, but I drive drive around in Tow/Haul mode and it's almost the same.

Best of luck in your decision.

01STrunner

Reaction score
I have used both the '13 6.7 Cummins and a '12 6.7 Powerstroke to haul a 50' rowing trailer that weighs about 8k lbs loaded. Two things make me want to buy the Ford over the Ram. You said you were looking at a 2500. It will sag a lot more than a 3500 or a 350. Right there I would shy away from the 3/4 ton truck. My 6.4 is hooked up to a 6k+ lbs trailer about 25 weekends out of the year if not more and sag is not something I tolerate when towing. Comparing my 350 to the 250 or a 2500 I would hands-down go for the 350. Yes you can put an overload spring on the rear or airbags or blocks, but why would you do that right after you buy a $65k truck? Might as well get the 1 ton right from the factory.

Back to the engines themselves. Having used both trucks with the same trailer and load I feel pretty confident in my comparison. Both trucks were past their break-in periods - about 10k miles on each when I used them. Both were used to drive from SC through TN using the same roads, although the Ford went to a further destination. Honestly I felt the Cummins lacked power and the Powerstroke had plenty of it to get my load moving. Highway passing was easier in the Powerstroke as was starting up a hill. The Cummins was actually disappointing in places and was a huge turnoff for me towards the truck. I was excited to be able to use it because I was wondering how I would like Dodge's offering.
The one thing that I absolutely liked about the Cummins was the switch for an exhaust brake. It was great for slowing down in the mountains. Both transmissions seemed smart to me in tow/haul mode and I didn't feel that I was in a wrong gear or hunting for the right gear in either truck so that was a tie there.
I didn't need 4x4 in the ford, but when I got to the race site with the ram it was muddy and I needed 4wd. Everything worked the way it should and the system kicked in as soon as I flipped the switch. I can't remember if the ram has manual hubs with an auto locking feature like the fords but this is just an observation I made.
As for interiors I liked both but have to again side with the Ford. I've only been in 1 Laramie but have been in many King Ranch and Platinum SD's so you could say I'm a little biased. I like the Dodge interior but the layout of the buttons, knobs and controls in the Ford make more sense to me and the dash menu is easier to navigate. However, both trucks I used for hauling were the XLT and Dodge's equivalent trim.
Also, if I'm not mistaken, the bed is bigger in the Ford than the Ram. When I was looking for a personal truck I found that you can't get a 1 ton Ram with SRW and an 8' bed. I don't really want a dually and for me an 8' bed was a must. Just an extra bit of info.

Overall both trucks were good but I like the Ford better.

Atsah

Reaction score
It's a tough call, my sister has a new Dodge dually that she uses to pull a cattle trailer with in the Southeast and she loves that truck, she came out of a 10 6.4 that she hated. To me a truck is like a gun, which ever one you get in, drive and like is the one to drive home..

I never cared much for GM or Dodge but all three are making some very trucks these days..

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.