Will a 1996 F6TZ-9A451-F engine wiring harness work on a 1997 f250 HD ?

NotThatGuy

Reaction score
Looking to replace my engine wiring harness and need to confirn if a 1996 F6TZ-9A451-F engine wiring harness will fit correctly on a 1997 F-250 HD manual trans 4x4 CCSB non CA 7.3 with a manufacture date of 3/97?
My truck has two injector/glow plug connectors per valve cover.
Looks like the current wiring harness on the truck is a F7TZ-9A451-??
I'm outside the USA and can't visually check fitment.

Last edited:

NotThatGuy

Reaction score
I just can't find much info on if the main (40 pin ?) connection that is beyond the left valve cover is wired to the same pin positions on both.
Or if any of the connectors that are required to run the truck are different. If the A/C compressor, or other non engine connector is different I'm ok with that given the circumstances. Any assistance would be appreciated.

Reaction score
See if these help. Is the big firewall feedthrough connector (C202) part of the harness? Cheers!

Attachments

• 1996 C138 42-pin Engine Harness Connector.pdf
    343.3 KB · Views: 5
  • 1997 C138 42-pin Engine Harness Connector.pdf
    358.2 KB · Views: 7

NotThatGuy

Reaction score
See if these help. Is the big firewall feedthrough connector (C202) part of the harness? Cheers!
That helps a bunch. It looks like the 42 pin C138 connector matches up. The engine harness terminates at this connector So it looks like that is one big question answered. Thank you.

NotThatGuy

Reaction score
I have had many 1996 and 1997 F350 regular cab 4x4 automatic powerstrokes. Just recently I found out that even the federal 1996 and 1997 7.3 engine wiring harnesses and cab harnesses are different between those 2 years. The pcms have different codes between the 2 years and I went to put a 1996 engine harness on the 1997 and their is a slight difference. The truck now wont start. Hooked up my genisys scanner, I have all signals but log a cps fault. After studying the engine harness, I noticed one color difference on one wire one pin. Would appreciate if someone could post a pinout of a 96 Federal 7.3 engine harness and a 97 Federal engine harness. The obvious differences are location of ebp sensor. The connector is in different spots on 96 vs 97. And the oil temp sensor on the hpop oil reservoir. Both 2 pin, but the 97 uses different style connector and sensor. I do believe the one wire I see thats a different color is a signal return or significant in why I suddenly dont have cps signal.

Hum, maybe it does not work after all. I found the above on the interwebs from 2015. Unfortunately there was no followup from the poster as to if the cps signal issue was correctable, or how to resolve the problem.

Reaction score
Looking at the factory EVTM diagrams, it looks like there might be some differences (there is some "weirdness" around the 97 EVTM info on the TPS wiring for one). I'll have to take a deeper dive if I have the time. Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.