2016 Platinum, 35's or 37's, pros and cons

BlkSC

Reaction score
I just recently bought a black 2016 F250 Platinum with 3.55 gears and LT275/65r20 tires. Previously I owned a F150 FX4 Ecoboost leveled with Fox coilovers, Raptor rear shocks, and 315/70r17's.

Currently my plan is to run a Carli lift, either 2.5" or 4.5" depending on tire size, BMF Novakanes, probably 18X9 with 0 offset and a 12.50 tire. The decision I'm having the biggest issue with is to go 35's or 37's. Unless I can come up with a better way to do it, I'll probably run Bushwacker fender flares to help protect the rocker panels and Amp Research running boards.

The concern I have with running 37's is that I really don't want to regear and I'm worried it might affect the drivability enough to require it. I owned my F150 for three years and never towed anything more than a four wheeler and I don't see things changing in the very near future. Eventually I plan on tuning it as well but I'd like to get a few more miles on it before I do.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

TripleE44

Reaction score
There's no need to regear for 37s, especially if you don't tow much.

You can run 37s on either height with a 9" wide wheel with 0 offset. I'm running 37x13.50r17s with 17x8.5 wheels on my truck with 2.5 coils but I've got an extra 1" spacer. It's not needed though. Other people have done it on 2.5.

Also, there's a really cheap Carli 2.5 kit in the classifieds with coilovers and bypasses.

BlkSC

Reaction score
Yeah, I just noticed that kit the other day. That's why I need to make a decision.

TripleE44

Reaction score
For what it's worth, mines a great usable height. I've had taller trucks in the past and got annoyed at the height from time to time. I don't think 4.5 would be an issue either though.

And also with a 9" wide wheel, you shouldn't have a need for fender flares. Mine barely stick out and I have 13.50 tires. Any flares besides maybe factory flares are going to stick out further than the tire, I bet. If you were concerned about chips, I'd look into the clear bra material on the rockers.

And amp steps are my favorite thing I've ever done to a truck, no matter the height.

Notneb

Reaction score
Yeah, I just noticed that kit the other day. That's why I need to make a decision.

Buy that kit or regret it forever!!! That kit will fit 37's with some fender trimming, and you'll be able to keep up with Raptors easily!

JRLott

Reaction score
Do not take his advice. He's only telling you that to save his own arse from his CFO. If he does not nut up and buy it he will die of Cirrhosis due to years spent trying to drown his sorrows.

Notneb

Reaction score
Lol, if it's still there at the end of the year, it'll probably end up on my truck...

Jomax

Reaction score
Buy that kit or regret it forever!!! That kit will fit 37's with some fender trimming, and you'll be able to keep up with Raptors easily!

Stock raptors couldn't touch me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BlkSC

Reaction score
My biggest concern is having the same issue I had with my Ecoboost when I put 315/70r17 on it. It always felt like it was lugging to much, like it really needed to down shift. Putting it in tow/haul helped since it'd keep it from shifting into 6th gear doing 40mph. Of course, this truck feels completely different from my F150 so maybe it wouldn't be as bad?

Latest posts

Members online