2019 F250 KR shocks

kleake

Reaction score
I upgraded my shocks to the Bilstein 5100's a while back and they ride good when empty, and medium load, but when pulling a tongue heavy cargo trailer and my 5th wheel I tend to get a lot of up and down bounce in the rear. I used these on my old 2008 f250 and they worked great so I anticipated similar results on this 2019 but i just feel like they aren't controlling the weight very good. I do have airbags and have tried running less pressure (as low as 5psi) and I feel like it's bottoming out then, but still a good amount of bounce. If I go up to 50-60psi I feel like it's harsh so I normally run about 30psi and it seems to be the best for normal roads but if there are dips it just bounces a lot. What is everyone else running that works well for controlling the bounce with a decent load. My 5th wheel has less than 2k pinweight and my cargo trailer likely has about 800-900lbs tongue weight. Definitely not overloaded, but my 2008 seemed to control the weight better than this one.

6.7Bison

Reaction score
No personal experience beyond Bilstein 5100's on my 2011 that I like way better than my stock shocks. Some guys swear by the Rancho 9000 XL shocks. They have a control knob to adjust the ride between 9 different positions. I didn't want the hassle of crawling under the truck to adjust them to achieve a perfect ride depending on what I was or wasn't towing. Then again I don't run air bags or change tire pressure for that same reason.

J98

Reaction score
Your '08 had shorter leaf springs then the '19. They changed to a longer leaf spring in '11. The older trucks didn't seem to bag out quite as bad.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Actually that’s wrong. Anything previous to 08 had the shorter springs. 2008-present have the same length leaf springs. The 08-10s had stiffer springs than the 11-16s. I hate the 11-16 though as they are too soft hence why I put all new take off 450 springs under all my trucks.

kleake

Reaction score
I think my 08 had more leafs than this 2019 has, which I am sure contributes,,, as well as the airbags. In short, the 2019 has a bouncy ride in the rear when towing. I don't notice when empty, or just gear in the bed. I've heard FOX is good, but definitely more costly. Like 6.7Bison, I don't have any experience beyond the Bilstein 5100's either and I don't want to spend a bunch of cash for a similar ride to what I have now.

ncollins64

Reaction score
Yea after 2010 all the leaf packs got soft with fewer leafs. I do use fox, and that with new take off 450 springs, I have zero squat and no bounce on all my trucks.

kleake

Reaction score
Good to know. I'm not really wanting to change packs, I just want a little more control and a good shock should take care of that. I would like to find someone that has ran the 5100 and something like a Fox that can give detailed differences.

Goober

Reaction score
Kinda wish Edelbrock still made IAS shocks, I got a set on my 08, rides amazing. Not sure if any other companies still make same style.

PDT1081

Reaction score
Good to know. I'm not really wanting to change packs, I just want a little more control and a good shock should take care of that. I would like to find someone that has ran the 5100 and something like a Fox that can give detailed differences.
I've ran both. Fox first, then the 5100. I had one of the Fox lock up on me, and the other 3 went rather soft fairly quickly. The 5100 were softer when installed, but have held up longer without the ride quality suffering.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Yeah, these new trucks have the ez ride type springs in them. Way softer ride and more sag when loaded. I have fox 2.0s had a couple sets actually. Blew a couple out and replaced them. Way better than factory for sure. Usually when loaded, and there is a lot of bounce, your load need distributed better.

kleake

Reaction score
Yeah, these new trucks have the ez ride type springs in them. Way softer ride and more sag when loaded. I have fox 2.0s had a couple sets actually. Blew a couple out and replaced them. Way better than factory for sure. Usually when loaded, and there is a lot of bounce, your load need distributed better.
I'm hearing that the Fox 2.0's are actually a tad softer than the 5100's allowing for smoother off-road driving,,,, but that would allow more bounce on the highway. And yes, you would think the load needs to be distributed better but I can't change the 5th wheel. I can adjust things a little in the cargo trailer and it is better when the side by side is loaded in it, but it still bounces. It does have a good amount of tongue weight, but again, I pulled it with the old truck and it definitely didn't do this. I have a dog tag hanging from my mirror and it's almost constantly swinging and hitting the windshield. I've heard that airbags make the bounce worse, which is possible. I didn't have them on the other truck. There has to be something stiffer than the 5100's. Would a bypass shock allow fast bumps to move the suspension, but the slower bouncy movements be more controlled?

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I run Firestone work rites. The are like a timbren. Basically a over sized rubber jounce bumper or over load bump stop. Been running them for years. I wont run bags. No bounce for me.

psduser1

Reaction score
Yeah. Air bag is basically a balloon. Lol

Ehhh, I like bags. They work well to add weight capacity . Definitely not a replacement for good shocks, though.
Another thing to look at is the tires. Same load ranges can have way different weight capacities.
Personally, I think you should reconsider changing the spring packs to something with a higher spring rate. That may or may not raised the weight rating, depending on where you get the springs.
Maybe go back to the 08-10 springs....

kleake

Reaction score
I agree, the feeling is like riding on a balloon. These bags was on the truck when i got it, and I like how they work otherwise, so preferably I will keep them. Changing the springs is an option, but that seems pretty excessive when a good shock should do the trick,,,, but that may be the right solution. I know I can't be the only one that has noticed this and tried to remedy it?

Latest posts

Members online