3 stage vs 2 stage tripples

madman1234509

Reaction score
Ok. So after seeing Kinds tripple build, and other people like Corbin mentioning a 3 stage set up, and "Godzillas" tripple set up, makes me have a few questions that I thought could make good discussion.

What are the benefits of having a 3 stage tripple set up. say a 62/75/91 VS a 2 stage with a 66 secondary and (2) 62s as the primaries?

Lets hear some theories, pros and cons of each. Spool up, power vs size, complexity...

Ive said it a few times recently, but after seeing the duramax pictured below at the truck jam, I cant wait to see a dedicated tripple turbo 6.4 drag truck

Attachments

• tripple dirty.jpg
    tripple dirty.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 255

Kind

Reaction score
Ok. So after seeing Kinds tripple build, and other people like Corbin mentioning a 3 stage set up, and "Godzillas" tripple set up, makes me have a few questions that I thought could make good discussion.

What are the benefits of having a 3 stage tripple set up. say a 62/75/91 VS a 2 stage with a 66 secondary and (2) 62s as the primaries?

Lets hear some theories, pros and cons of each. Spool up, power vs size, complexity...

Ive said it a few times recently, but after seeing the duramax pictured below at the truck jam, I cant wait to see a dedicated tripple turbo 6.4 drag truck

Mine won't be a dedicated drag truck. But I will go a few times to back up the power it makes on a dyno and to entertain myself from time to time. I have no intent on putting a bar or a cage like I should if it makes the power a few of us assume it will.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Tripple staging is great for.high manifold pressure.

Imho I wouldn't do tripple.staging unless you want 1200 HP and over 100 psi of boost

madman1234509

Reaction score
Another question is say like KINDs set up. He is doing (2) 62mm as primaries, which in terms of flow is close to an 80mm, maybe a tad bigger, and a 66mm. What is the benefit of doing those tripples, versus just doing a 80/66mm compound set up?

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
Setup correctly, smaller atmosphere chargers in a triple 2 stage configuration will spool almost instantaneously. Where as a non VGT 80/66 compound setup may not

I don't know much about the three stage setups but the two stage systems from WOP were awesome. Took less energy to do more, sooner. Dearden's cummins was an animal on the street and in front of a trailer it could do anything without ever being under the chargers or worrying about EGT issues

Last edited:

Lil' Pete

Reaction score
I was just thinking we needed a good thread on triples, I'm here to get schooled.

Also what about a setup like Kind's but the two atmospheric chargers get the gas's first, "run one off each bank" then into the high pressure?

Kind

Reaction score
I was just thinking we needed a good thread on triples, I'm here to get schooled.

Also what about a setup like Kind's but the two atmospheric chargers get the gas's first, "run one off each bank" then into the high pressure?

All you do in a setup like mine is run 2 smaller primaries vs one large primary. The exhaust gasses are still routed the same as any twin compound setup.

Sent from beside you

Lil' Pete

Reaction score
Yes your just splitting it after the high pressure in order to feed two atmospherics, i get that. My question was "WHAT IF" the exhaust side of things was backwards?

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
into the hp, then to atmo 1, then to atmo 2?

or into hp, then split to atmo 1 and atmo 2, then back together for the down pipe?

Kind

Reaction score
Yes your just splitting it after the high pressure in order to feed two atmospherics, i get that. My question was "WHAT IF" the exhaust side of things was backwards?

You'd have more piping then most vehicles could fit lol.

Sent from beside you

09stroker

Reaction score
Well a pressure differential is what drives the turbine (lower pressure on the turbine outlet). Therefore airflow goes through the high pressure first then the low pressure. There is less restriction from the low pressure then the high pressure turbine. Exhaust gas just wants to go to a lower pressure area. Up-pipes to intermediate pipe to down pipe.

If it were low pressure first then high pressure, the exhaust would be trying to exit the low pressure turbine into an area of higher pressure than it would be in a down pipe.
Hope that makes sense.

Last edited:

hawgdoctor

Reaction score
J think what he is referring to is doing a small (58-60mm maybe) on each bank, and then having the big atmo in the valley type setup.

sent from the shop making things fly.....

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Well a pressure differential is what drives the turbine (lower pressure on the turbine outlet). Therefore airflow goes through the high pressure first then the low pressure. There is less restriction from the low pressure then the high pressure turbine. Exhaust gas just wants to go to a lower pressure area. Up-pipes to intermediate pipe to down pipe.

If it were low pressure first then high pressure, the exhaust would be trying to exit the low pressure turbine into an area of higher pressure than it would be in a down pipe.
Hope that makes sense.

You got it

The other interesting thing is typically smaller turbos do not like higher pressure ratios (boost). Most compound sets like to run more pressure from the bigger turbo for this reason. Thus generating more heat from the interstage than from the high pressure turbo.

So my thinking is on some set ups are running max.from the two.atmos and letting the high pressure skate...

so basically what I'm getting at is you need to be careful about how small the atmo turbos are if you plan on running allot of boost. Because it will be easy to Get them out of thier maps

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
so basically what I'm getting at is you need to be careful about how small the atmo turbos are if you plan on running allot of boost. Because it will be easy to Get them out of thier maps

Yup. Spec'ing the right chargers for the setup is crucial. People would be amazed what a couple 64-66mm chargers can do when setup right.

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Think of it like this.

Ford designed the new turbos on the 6.7 with two small compressor wheels to spool fast and still move enough air to make x amount of HP... Same concept... I wanted to do trips on my truck originally but was worried about room. Kinda thinking about it still but kinda not...I'm over plumbing lol

madman1234509

Reaction score
Ahh yes, apparently Ive been a little overzealous with my "p" key.... So basically a 2 stage system will spool faster compared to a compound set up that moves the same amount of air. But a 3 stage has the potential for more airflow and even higher boost levels?

Wonder how 3 66mm turbos would be...

Dzchey21

Reaction score
Ahh yes, apparently Ive been a little overzealous with my "p" key.... So basically a 2 stage system will spool faster compared to a compound set up that moves the same amount of air. But a 3 stage has the potential for more airflow and even higher boost levels?

Wonder how 3 66mm turbos would be...

Correct

Three 66mm would probably make.crazy power and spool really well

Latest posts

Members online