35" tires, 42R, towing issues now

Jomax

Reaction score
Ok. I think my junk works pretty good but when I had new trucks to compare, until April i had my 14 dmax (cclb z71 srw 3500) and its amazing how well that 390 hp tows...turn the key push a few buttons,done.

I still think they tow nice but i kinda got spoiled.

Im glad to hear you got it figured out.

When I go from my 6.7 to a 7.3 it's crazy lol.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

TyCorr

Reaction score
When I go from my 6.7 to a 7.3 it's crazy lol.

My only admitted issue is mine towed drastically different loads. The dmax got a nice contained load in an encl trailer. 6-14k lbs. The superduty has had it rough from the getgo. It was hooked to the gooseneck from early 01 until 09. I unhooked it three times I can recall. Then I "retired" it. But it wasnt ever about weight. It was how much crap would fit on the trailer. I hauled three skidloaders once and didnt feel as heavy as some of the stuff i put on there LOL In simple terms I beat yhe hell out of it from 00 to 09 and in those 225k miles, it didnt give me a lick of trouble. Lifted, underpowered (sort of), and definitely overworked.

I will say the low end grunt of the dmax was not there. You had to give it hell to push trailers up over curbs then jam on the brakes to keep from it running away or up hills where the 7.3 was just stubborn enough to make trailer maneuvering a joy.

Ok. Im done now.

Jomax

Reaction score
My only admitted issue is mine towed drastically different loads. The dmax got a nice contained load in an encl trailer. 6-14k lbs. The superduty has had it rough from the getgo. It was hooked to the gooseneck from early 01 until 09. I unhooked it three times I can recall. Then I "retired" it. But it wasnt ever about weight. It was how much crap would fit on the trailer. I hauled three skidloaders once and didnt feel as heavy as some of the stuff i put on there LOL In simple terms I beat yhe hell out of it from 00 to 09 and in those 225k miles, it didnt give me a lick of trouble. Lifted, underpowered (sort of), and definitely overworked.

I will say the low end grunt of the dmax was not there. You had to give it hell to push trailers up over curbs then jam on the brakes to keep from it running away or up hills where the 7.3 was just stubborn enough to make trailer maneuvering a joy.

Ok. Im done now.

Lol. The thing the 7.3 has over the others, is when you press the pedal there is no delay. All new trucks have a delay 6.0 to the 6.7... and no amount of tuning can take it out. It's almost like a tune deep inside to keep smoke down from taking off to hard.

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
Any advantage of throwing 200% nozzles on my 238s? Or will it be a Smokey pig? I'm determined to get this stupid egt issue fixed. Gotta be my plenums

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Carolina444

Reaction score
I guess I never felt it with 35s and 3.73s. I had 250/100s with the E99 turbo lol. Did amazingly well.... towing egts were a bit high, but I had a leaking manifold, and up pipes lol. Still ran amazing.

I'm on 230/100s w/e99 turbo, 34's 3.73 and mine also is doing a lot better than I thought it would. Like you said towing runs a little hot so I was thinking about adding some water injection and keeping this little charger til it gives up

TyCorr

Reaction score
Any advantage of throwing 200% nozzles on my 238s? Or will it be a Smokey pig? I'm determined to get this stupid egt issue fixed. Gotta be my plenums

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Do a boost leak test first...then if you want you can add nozzles. You darn well better have them injectors flowed too!

Jomax

Reaction score
I'm on 230/100s w/e99 turbo, 34's 3.73 and mine also is doing a lot better than I thought it would. Like you said towing runs a little hot so I was thinking about adding some water injection and keeping this little charger til it gives up

I was on 35s and 3.73s. Truck has 282k miles with no shaft play. And the last 20k were ABUSED with the 250/100s. It was a fun truck..

psduser1

Reaction score
I was on 35s and 3.73s. Truck has 282k miles with no shaft play. And the last 20k were ABUSED with the 250/100s. It was a fun truck..

Ahhhhhh, you do miss it.LOL
I'm gonna be hooking up 20k tomorrow, pretty sure it's any speed I want.

Gho is right, and there is a fix for your problems.

Last edited:

Jomax

Reaction score
Ahhhhhh, you do miss it.LOL
I'm gonna be hooking up 20k tomorrow, pretty sure it's any speed I want.

Gho is right, and there is a fix for your problems.

I still own it and atempting to fix it. But yes I miss it lol

lariat 7.3

Reaction score
done multiple ones and not leaks show. But if its in overdrive and i start rolling into it i can hear an air movement/rushing noise. I dont think its the turbo pulling air but it could be , its always run hot. Pulling the turbo this week to fix the leaking pedastol and gonna check each plenum hooked directly to air.

mandkole

Reaction score
the tone of the 42R will change once above about 20, the whistle reduces and much more air movement. If I drove over a rat on the road, it would probably pick it up lol.. serious vacuum cleaner action.

When its at 20, the EGTs basically cap at 1200-1250 in the tow tune @ WOT. When its below 18-20, it will get hotter if you suddenly need more fuel.

Layson

Reaction score
That thing sounds like a big block when it rolls by you on the freeway....LOL

CSIPSD

Reaction score
I've not had any real issues with my set up over the years... Love the H2e... But, you have to run some RPM's to pull in the hills, or just slow down.

I prefer pulling passes at 70 however so I just downshift and let her rip.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Hey Joe! Good to see you around.

Was waiting for an update on how the pis 230/100 were doing as well as everything else. :thumbsup:

CSIPSD

Reaction score
Other the electrical issue I am fighting, trucks running great. 90,000 miles on it without so much as a hickup.

Latest posts

Members online