4r100 Dipstick Leak?

Aaron S

Reaction score
The short/ bottom section of the transmission dipstick that enters the transmission housing, is loose and leaking at the transmission housing.

What sealant should I use to lock it in place? Or does it need to be replaced to have a tight, no leak fit again?

Thanks

Aaron S

Reaction score
There is an o ring that sits in a groove in the upper tube to seal the two tubes together. When I had it apart though, there was no o ring or groove for an o ring to be installed in the lower tube or the transmission housing.

When I put this trans in I put Loctite hitack on it to try to seal it and lock it in place, but it didn't work.

JLDickmon

Reaction score
Sure there's not an O-ring groove in the case?
If there isn't, and it leaks, what I would do is pull the tube, wipe some synthetic oil-safe RTV on it, jam it back in a call it a day.

redneck1

Reaction score
$_3.jpg

They have some type of weird press fit sealing collar. The people I've talked to about it said to use JB weld or something of that nature. The bottom part of the dipstick is supposed to remain in the trans, the top part is the oring seal and is meant to pull out when you do remove your trans. Or replace it, they run about $21 bucks on ebay.

Last edited:

Aaron S

Reaction score
The press fit deal seems similar to other things ive found by searching around. When someone did mention the pressing part, they believed it required a special tool to press the tube in.

I may get the new tube section and sealant ready when I get a chance to try to fix it.

If anyone has an idea of what it takes to press the new tube into the transmission housing, please post it up.

Thanks for the info so far.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.