4r100 Issues

TurboM700

Reaction score
Ok have a factory Ford HD unit behine my 12v cummins in my Excursion and seem to be running into an issue, and before I tare it apart I thought I would see what others thought.

When the trans temp reachs 180 or above and I'm stopped for a few seconds it acts like the tourqe converter is trying to lock. Take it out of gear and its fine.

Its been doing this for a few weeks now but it will only do it once the temp is over 180.

Could this be the seals on pump shaft leaking?

A few other things I'm, when I'm giving it more then 50% throttle the 3rd gear unlocked to locked shift acts like it goes into netrual for a split second that bangs the lock up.

This truck is PCS controlled and have data logs to show that it does this when its commanded to lock up.

Under normal driving (30-40% throttle) the transmission shifts great.

Any ideas?

TurboM700

Reaction score
Any way to daignose this? Beside pulling the transmission and replacing the seals, not that I have a problem doing that just wondering if there is one.

Thanks for the response Mark

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
Put a pressure gauge on the line pressure tap. If the problem is low pressure you will see line pressure dip. I don't know what line will be on a trans controlled by a PCS.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.