4r100 pcs not shiffting

fordman2121

Reaction score
My brothers fummins will not shift out of 1st gear when hooked to the sled. Evenif he puts it in 2 with the shifter. It always starts in 1st. Now last night we were at the pulls and another fummins did the same thing. Any input?

907DAVE

Reaction score
The trans should start in second when the manual lever is placed in second. Quick check to rule the electronics out is to disconnect the shift solenoid connector the the passenger side rear of the tranny and see what it does. You should only have 2nd and reverse.

fordman2121

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I knew it should start in 2nd and never shift. Isnt it a mechanical 2nd also in the valve body or is it still electronic? Good advise on the unplugging it. Will try that at the next pull. Its just weird that it only does it when hooked to the sled. Burn outs or the track or pulling a trailer its fine.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
The trans should start in second when the manual lever is placed in second. Quick check to rule the electronics out is to disconnect the shift solenoid connector the the passenger side rear of the tranny and see what it does. You should only have 2nd and reverse.
With no electrical power to the transmission it will have reverse, 4th gear when in D, and second in 2.

907DAVE

Reaction score
Thanks Dave. I knew it should start in 2nd and never shift. Isnt it a mechanical 2nd also in the valve body or is it still electronic? Good advise on the unplugging it. Will try that at the next pull. Its just weird that it only does it when hooked to the sled. Burn outs or the track or pulling a trailer its fine.

Sounds like a different issue. Do you have the TCU software?

fordman2121

Reaction score
We do have the software and have tried alot of different tunes. Even a different pcs.
Mark, So 2nd gear when put in 2nd is a mechanical lock, so what would cause it to be in 1st?

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
We do have the software and have tried alot of different tunes. Even a different pcs.
Mark, So 2nd gear when put in 2nd is a mechanical lock, so what would cause it to be in 1st?

Something isn't right. I just checked mine. Starts in 2nd

Does it shift normally and drive fine ?

Can you datalog and email me the tune and log ?

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I don't know. I suspect something with the PCS, but I have no idea how a PCS works, so I can't help diagnose it.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
I wonder if your solenoid selection table is set up wrong.

Either that or you have a sensor gone tits or isn't connected properly

Last edited:

fordman2121

Reaction score
It shifts fine all the time except when on the sled. He said it won't data log. He hits the button to do it but it won't. This other truck is doing the same thing and they also are both bts trans if that matters. I can get the tune and send it to anybody that wants it.

Latest posts

Members online