500hp-ish OBS?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
so initially I was just gonna do 160/30s this summer, and beans had told me they could go me about 400hp with my setup.

So I got to thinking, if I could buy a used turbo for $500-1000 and grab larger injectors and hit 500whp or so, I'd be a fool not to.

I was thinking an h2e, but then notice people saying to go with S-series turbos over the h2e.

Whats your guys thoughts? Main uses of the truck are DD, with occasional towing, lots of snow/hills/farm use, and once in a while I'd like to put the pedal down and have a big ass grin on my face.

Recommendations?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
I'm all ears.
I'm assuming I'll need e-fuel. Been trying to strike up a homebrew idea on that one. Anything else for 500ish hp?

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
You dont think a 15* will keep up with 500hp?

What s ize injectors... 238/100's will hit me 500hp you think?

For only 500hp I'll need studs/springs/pushrods?

Not worried about trans.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Well, I'm doing that also...

What about 450-470whp instead of the 500whp target...

bruce

Reaction score
250/200's are the same price as 238/80's. i think 250/200, modded h2e, t500, e fuel with dual sd pumps and regulated return would definitely get you there. you don't have to have studs, springs or tranny but if you want it to be reliable then i would. i thought you knew everything already?

David N

Reaction score
250/200's are the same price as 238/80's. i think 250/200, modded h2e, t500, e fuel with dual sd pumps and regulated return would definitely get you there. you don't have to have studs, springs or tranny but if you want it to be reliable then i would. i thought you knew everything already?

What he said.

I know you said a 'used' turbo for cheap, but if I had to go back and do it all over again, I'd go with the S468 and mount kit from Irate Diesel. It has everything needed to put the turbo on the truck, including the turbo, for ~ $3000. And that turbo will put you over 600 if you ever wanted to go bigger. Because trust me, 500 will get old.... :D

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
You dont think a 15* will keep up with 500hp?

no

What s ize injectors... 238/100's will hit me 500hp you think?

maybe 500. but prolly a little lower.

For only 500hp I'll need studs/springs/pushrods?

yes.. ask me how i know.

Not worried about trans.

what trans do you have

Well, I'm doing that also...

What about 450-470whp instead of the 500whp target...

yes with 238s

whs^^^

live life full throttle

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
500hp gets thrown around these days like its basically a stock number.

To make a true 500hp, you will be using about 350-400 daily and 500 under wide open throttle which is pretty rare.
So do you want that or a useable 500?

Regardless you need studs at the very least, springs would be smart also.

You wont be getting this number for less than $5k, no way.

From reading your other posts....go 160/stock and call it a day

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

dentexpowerstroke

Reaction score
I would go with 160/stock like said above. Unless you want this thing to be an on going project and have a spare vehicle.
You'll want to do studs, p rods, springs, trans. You'll need an hpop, efuel, turbo mount and turbo, and I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. The only reason I even went as big as I have is because I have a spare vehicle so I don't get to upset if I break stuff and I planned on having this be a project. I'm sure with how much I'll have put in my truck when I finish it up I could have bought a 6.4 and called it a day.

Because trust me, 500 will get old.... :D
That it will, only took me 3 months to decide I didn't go big enough the first 2 times I tried.

To make a true 500hp, you will be using about 350-400 daily and 500 under wide open throttle which is pretty rare.
Unless you drive it the fun way like me where it hits wot at least once a day. (I've heard David N has a similiar driving style.)

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score

I was gonna go w/ Rosewoods, who's 238/100's are like $1400.... I'm sure the 250/200's your thinking of are $2500+?

theres a whole section on this at the top of the forum page under the 7.3 tech forum

Yep been reading there too.

What he said.

I know you said a 'used' turbo for cheap, but if I had to go back and do it all over again, I'd go with the S468 and mount kit from Irate Diesel. It has everything needed to put the turbo on the truck, including the turbo, for ~ $3000. And that turbo will put you over 600 if you ever wanted to go bigger. Because trust me, 500 will get old.... :D

lmao 600hp would be obnoxious:evil

what trans do you have

yes with 238s

whs^^^

live life full throttle

Gonna build the trans up this summer :D

500hp gets thrown around these days like its basically a stock number.

Regardless you need studs at the very least, springs would be smart also.

You wont be getting this number for less than $5k, no way.

From reading your other posts....go 160/stock and call it a day

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I just want a truck that will tow when I need it to, but when I push the pedal down or when I'm going up the mile-high hill my folks live on, I can scream up the hill with a big smile.

I would go with 160/stock like said above. Unless you want this thing to be an on going project and have a spare vehicle.
You'll want to do studs, p rods, springs, trans. You'll need an hpop, efuel, turbo mount and turbo, and I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff. The only reason I even went as big as I have is because I have a spare vehicle so I don't get to upset if I break stuff and I planned on having this be a project. I'm sure with how much I'll have put in my truck when I finish it up I could have bought a 6.4 and called it a day.

That it will, only took me 3 months to decide I didn't go big enough the first 2 times I tried.

Unless you drive it the fun way like me where it hits wot at least once a day. (I've heard David N has a similiar driving style.)

Beans suggested 160/30's for a cooler, more powerful tune... said the 30's would give me lower egt's and another 30-40whp over stock nozzles. Not to mention, IF i keep the stock turbo I'll be getting the gen II ww, so I think I'll be able to use more of the extra fueling from the 30's.

this truck IS my spare truck, so reliability is def. a huge factor in building it.

And believe me, if I could comfortably afford a 6.4 (or hell even a 6.0) right now, I would. But they are both still going for $30k here in NY :(

OBS F350

Reaction score
I was gonna go w/ Rosewoods, who's 238/100's are like $1400.... I'm sure the 250/200's your thinking of are $2500+?

Yep been reading there too.

lmao 600hp would be obnoxious:evil

Gonna build the trans up this summer :D

I just want a truck that will tow when I need it to, but when I push the pedal down or when I'm going up the mile-high hill my folks live on, I can scream up the hill with a big smile.

Beans suggested 160/30's for a cooler, more powerful tune... said the 30's would give me lower egt's and another 30-40whp over stock nozzles. Not to mention, IF i keep the stock turbo I'll be getting the gen II ww, so I think I'll be able to use more of the extra fueling from the 30's.

this truck IS my spare truck, so reliability is def. a huge factor in building it.

And believe me, if I could comfortably afford a 6.4 (or hell even a 6.0) right now, I would. But they are both still going for $30k here in NY :(

Then travel out of NY to get one lol, my buddy and I have been rummaging through tons of trucks trying to find a good one for him, probably 30 super clean low milage 6.0s in a 500 mile radius of me. Some very close, some farther. Most that have around 50-80k miles are right around 20k. Hell found a studded/deleted 6.0 with 130k, lariat crew cab in Chicago for 17k.

If reliability is a factor, don't mod it. Your stock trans isn't going to like the 300 +/- horsepower 160's will get you on stock turbo/oil, let alone 500+ like you're wanting. You also don't need a full blown BTS if you want to run 160's, you can get away with a valve body and torque converter most of the time. But if you want to mod it and be reliable I would put the injectors off until summer and put a good converter and valve body in first. IMO.

If you want to try your luck then no one is holding you back, ultimately it's up to you, but I'm sure the consensus here will be trans first if you are relying on the truck to get you around daily.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
^Ya traveling outside of NYS is a possibility...

I'm doing the mods/tranny work at the same exact time, I'll be driving 20miles @ most w/ the stock tranny before I install the trans mods. I have steel cut gears stock, and will be doing a good VB and TC, combined with good tuning.

Latest posts

Members online