5r100 torque converter nut removal?

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I'm pulling the trans in a 04 excursion and am having a terrible time getting the torque converter unbolted. I'm going through the bottom bellhousing slot and its tight to begin with but the real problem is the slot and the nuts don't line up. I'm having to use a crowsfoot to break them loose and a 1/4 drive adapted to a 3/8 9/16 socket to spin them off because a socket cant go on straight and I have to be careful spinning them off or I wedge the 3/8 socket in there. The nuts are up too high and don't line up with the slot. Am I missing something here? This is the setup I'm having to use.
072ba1f02cd386e4932e021743b24388.jpg

Mike@MPD

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you can grind the down slope on the spot where you can't reach. On the newer trucks there is an oval hole compared to the older trucks down sloped hole. They are are pain in the ass

4.0l sahara

Reaction score
I break them loose with a 3/8" drive then use a 1/4" drive for the rest. I never thought they were that bad.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
I use a 1/4 drive ratchet, only thing I could get to fit in such a small space. I had our Snap On guy convert our 1/4 drive torque wrench to 3/8 drive and that works.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I break them loose with a 3/8" drive then use a 1/4" drive for the rest. I never thought they were that bad.
The problem is the nut is too high in relation to the opening. You cant get a socket on it unless its a shallow well and then it backs off and gets tight unless you hold it at a angle. Once I get the trans out I am grinding the hole bigger like Mike said! Ive pulled other year 5r's and never had one like this.

dzldoctor

Reaction score
Get a 1/4 drive mid length socket. Works perfect and worth every penny for that application.

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
just go through the port in the block on the drivers side. thats what the damn thing is there for. theres a rubber plug blocking the hole. about 3 oclock

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
just go through the port in the block on the drivers side. thats what the damn thing is there for. theres a rubber plug blocking the hole. about 3 oclock

BINGO!

Wtf is wrong with you guys hollowing out customers inspection hole:wtf:

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
Thats where i assumed the access point was so i pulled that out and there's no way to reach the torque converter bolts through it, you can just see the ring gear? Unless I missed something, it was 11:00 pm and I had been working since 7:30 am and I had a ton of stuff go wrong so that's possible. LOL

swinky

Reaction score
Thats where i assumed the access point was so i pulled that out and there's no way to reach the torque converter bolts through it, you can just see the ring gear? Unless I missed something, it was 11:00 pm and I had been working since 7:30 am and I had a ton of stuff go wrong so that's possible. LOL
You missed it lol there's a rubber plug on the drivers side of the block that you can easily fit a 3/8 extension and socket through.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
You missed it lol there's a rubber plug on the drivers side of the block that you can easily fit a 3/8 extension and socket through.
I have the plug out, I didn't think it was over far enough to get on the bolts on this one . I know the 6.4 trans I pulled awhile back that's how I did it and it worked great. Used a swivel socket and a impact and had the nuts off in no time! I'm pretty sure y'all are right though, I just reached in, thought no way and started working at it the hard way. Never got a mirror and looked.... the rounded off front drive shaft bolt, up pipe bolts that all broke off they were so tight and junkyard engine I had to torch the oil pan off had me distracted. :eek:

swinky

Reaction score
Yeah bud just get back to it in the Am. I've never even needed a swivel to be honest. I usually put a piece of electrical tape over the socket on install so when you go to put the nuts back on they hold in the socket and you can just spin the extension

Extended Power

Reaction score
I use three, 12" x 3/8" extensions, and a short socket from the front of the engine.
Easy to see the nuts with a light shining along the engine block in through the block, into the bell housing.
Piece of piss to get at 'em.

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
I use three, 12" x 3/8" extensions, and a short socket from the front of the engine.
Easy to see the nuts with a light shining along the engine block in through the block, into the bell housing.
Piece of piss to get at 'em.
Wow I feel like an idiot. You are right! So glad I posted this.
763ee9f471ad1760c69c7b8381a38f4f.jpg

Latest posts

Members online