5r110 rebuild

Ford460power

Reaction score
Got my trans torn down and cleaned up ready to put it together. I have new pistons to install, but im wondering if it's really a part I have to change. I have new ones but I'm trying to disassemble the least possible in hopes it goes back together and runs again.

Reaction score
Idk man.... you're there.....

How dirty was it? I took mine apart with 125k to put a converter and an elite stage 3 kit, and none of my pistons looked bad. These newer trans have really stout pistons. Not like pistons from the old days...

Regardless, if you're that far and have the parts, I would replace. If the Trans was really contaminated, it's really hard to get all the contamination out without tearing it all the way down.

Also, depending what year your 5r is, there might be updates.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Bustedknuckles

Reaction score
If the transmission fluid was really bad tear it on down and replace them because they trap a bunch of dirt behind them. If the fluid was nice and clean I probably wouldn't bother besides the fact you have them there already

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Ford460power

Reaction score
I ended up replacing the pistons, I built a spring compressor and I went with the alto red eagle direct clutches and modified piston.

So far it's gone back together good, just waiting for the low reverse snap ring to come in the mail.

Latest posts

Members online