6.0 Dyno results

manual6.0

Reaction score
Ran a dyno last week.

I have all the typical bulletproofing mods on my 6 speed manual 6.0, exhaust, intake, Gearheads Extreme SRL tuner and PHP Ficm tuner set on Atlas 40.

I ran 373 hp and 702 ft-lbs torque which were less impressive numbers than I was expecting. Anyone else have better results running similar mods? I ran the dyno in 4th gear, should i have run it in a different gear?

Attachments

• DYNO.jpg
    DYNO.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_3241.jpg
    IMG_3241.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 106

strokin6L

Reaction score
I usually run mine in OD with converter locked. That's how Eric @ ID does it and told me to do the same. After the truck locked up in OD....I was told to start the run from 70mph and take it to 100mph.

Gearhead

Reaction score
That seems low... why did he not start your run at like 1700 rpms or so and mat the pedal? Or is that what he did?

strokin6L

Reaction score
Ah.....I missed the manual part. 5th would've been better than 4th I believe. Like gearhead said....I start my runs at like 1700rpms then mash the throttle.

BlAcKeNeD

Reaction score
Granted I am on 37" tires... but i made 371/802 on erics extreme race with RCD's "90hp" injectors and typical intake/exhaust... to me it seems the 400hp mark is about right on a slightly stock truck... but that's just my .02

manual6.0

Reaction score
That seems low... why did he not start your run at like 1700 rpms or so and mat the pedal? Or is that what he did?

I was running the truck in 4th (going by--L, 1, 2, 3, 4, OD)

Should I have ran it in OD?

I got the best turbo light(only 23 psi) by holding the brake some and then putting it to the floor around that 1700-1800 mark

First time running the dyno so I probably could have done better.

Super Diesel

Reaction score
4th gear is what you want to be in when dynoing a ZF6. Your numbers seem a little low. Are you monitoring anything? What's your fuel pressure? Boost leaks? You should be seeing more boost than 23psi. However...

Keep in mind that the SRL tune isn't the same as the SRL+ and/or the SRL Extreme. The Atlas 40 FICM tune you're running is a very conservative FICM tune, which will restrict the fuel from whatever ECM tune you're running. Guys that tow a lot usually use that FICM tune, or the Atlas 80. If you want power, you would benefit most from the Hercules 100 FICM tune.

Gearhead

Reaction score
With my tunes you don't want more than the 40hp ficm tune. I would start looking at ICP at wot etc.

Super Diesel

Reaction score
With my tunes you don't want more than the 40hp ficm tune. I would start looking at ICP at wot etc.

That's interesting. Why is that? I've ran your SRL+ and SRL Extreme tune both with the Hercules 100 FICM tune in the past with no issues. Has something changed?

Gearhead

Reaction score
That's interesting. Why is that? I've ran your SRL+ and SRL Extreme tune both with the Hercules 100 FICM tune in the past with no issues. Has something changed?

It isn't needed and often makes less power because the injectors are on so long (for fuel that can't be used) that it just further depletes the HPO even more.

swinky

Reaction score
It isn't needed and often makes less power because the injectors are on so long (for fuel that can't be used) that it just further depletes the HPO even more.
I can't imagine a ficm tuner making any more power than what you have mine at.

KCTurbos

Reaction score
Dynos are great tools... but I often think they are miss used. The main reason for a dyno is for "testing" purposes. To check and see how your truck is doing. It is hard to notice minor changes on the street... whereas a dyno can save you a lot of time/energy.

With that said. If you have what you think is a "low" dyno number, then that is a great opportunity to check the health of you truck to see what caused the low dyno number. Just like what superdiesel and gearhead were saying. Fix/adjust the issue and then hit the dyno again.

What was Fuel Pressure? Above 55psi?
What was ICP? Was it holding 4.7-4.8v at WOT?
What was your injector PW? IF ICP was too low then maybe your PW was too high.
Also your PW could have been too low, not allowing enough fuel to be dumped
Were all your sensor related to the turbo working properly? 23psi seems pretty low. Check you MAP, MAF, EBP, Etc to make sure they are working correctly.
Were the vanes cycling? Maybe you have turbo issues.
Etc...
Etc...

Basically, you need to figure out what was/is going on with your truck to find out if the dyno number was low.

manual6.0

Reaction score
4th gear is what you want to be in when dynoing a ZF6. Your numbers seem a little low. Are you monitoring anything? What's your fuel pressure? Boost leaks? You should be seeing more boost than 23psi. However...

Keep in mind that the SRL tune isn't the same as the SRL+ and/or the SRL Extreme. The Atlas 40 FICM tune you're running is a very conservative FICM tune, which will restrict the fuel from whatever ECM tune you're running. Guys that tow a lot usually use that FICM tune, or the Atlas 80. If you want power, you would benefit most from the Hercules 100 FICM tune.

I am running the SRL Extreme. I'm glad I ran it in the right gear.

manual6.0

Reaction score
Yes my truck has 161000 miles and has original fuel pump, 4 original injectors and a turbo that stuck wide open once for me a couple months ago. Needless to say I will be taking a closer look at the all these things as they could be hurting my performance.