6.0 high pitch whistle

fordman2121

Reaction score
This thing is driving me nuts. Ive got a high pitch whine/whistle. Kinda like when you hold a balloon together and let the air out. It doesnt do it after driving for about 10 minutes, but if you shut it off for even a minute it will do it for a couple miles again. It only does it under load and it quits while it shifts. I replaced the y pipe due to soot, still there. Replaced the angle boot, still there. Ive got it pinned to the turbo area it sounds like. Any help its making me feel dumb.

the chad

Reaction score
The up pipe/y pipe sounds like, but that doesn't really make sense with it stopping after 10 minutes. Does it get worse with acceleration?

Snake

Reaction score
Sounds like an exhaust leak that goes away when the pipes are fully heated, expand, and seal the leak.

Snake

Reaction score
Other things to consider: up pipe, exhaust manifolds, and alignment / seating of all of these.

Do you have bellows / flex sections in your y pipes? How about in the up pipe?

the chad

Reaction score
Did you by chance tighten the clamps one by one or put them all on loosely, and tighten them at roughly the same rate? That's what I do ESP if nothing is lining up easy

fordman2121

Reaction score
The noise has never changed. I started all the bolts the started from top down tightining. I can't see it being the exhaust side since it was all off and new pipes put on with no change. Has anyone ran into where the turbo itself made the noise?

ghohouston

Reaction score
I mean no disrespect by this, but honestly I bet you didnt get the y mated to the turbo completely flush. Ive set well over 100 turbos, and even I gave trouble with them sometimes. Pull your v band clamp off to the y pipe, inspect closely with a mirror, all the way around it. If its not flush the whole way around, thats your leak, your clamp will probably have soot all on it too. Have you checked all exhaust tubing after the manifolds for soot?

Lassie

Reaction score
I always loosen the two flanges between the exh manifold and y pipe/egr pipe to help align at the turbo. Then I line up the v bands and tighten. Then tighten the EGR cooler or delete pipe flange and make sure the metal gasket is in there. Then I tighten the lower flanges. That's the surefire way to align the turbo bands.

DSTRYER

Reaction score
Not going to loi, when i first opened this up, I thought it was going to be someone asking "How do I make my 6.0 whistle like that? is there some sort of tune?" LOLLOLLOLLOL

jshalala

Reaction score
Off topic but I saw someone mentioned you can put a 6.4 degass bottle cap on a 6.0?
Do I just ask the dealer for a 2008 6.4 bottle cap?

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

Mdub707

Reaction score
When my up-pipe had a crack in it, it did the exact same thing. It had a really high pitch whistle at idle, but after about 10 minutes of run time the whistle would go away.

Latest posts

Members online