6.0 keeps smoking alternators??

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
06 6.0 keeps smoking alternators?? It has been through 4 alternators in the last 3 weeks. 3 of them were parts store remans and the most recent was a motor craft. About 5 weeks ago the batteries were getting weak, so they were replaced with Interstate batteries. Truck was at Ford last week they said the alternator from the parts store wasn't strong enough to support 2 batteries. Now 3 days later the motorcraft brand is shot also. Any ideas as to what is going on??

FX4 F2-Fifty

Reaction score
anything abnormal with the voltages?

I would first check your grounds(3 places). Drivers side goes from battery to the top of the frame rail(check/clean). Passenger side goes from battery to block(clean/check), then from block to top of the frame rail(check/clean).

Black_Pstroke

Reaction score
anything abnormal with the voltages?

I would first check your grounds(3 places). Drivers side goes from battery to the top of the frame rail(check/clean). Passenger side goes from battery to block(clean/check), then from block to top of the frame rail(check/clean).

No was told it was putting out good voltages and the batteries were not hurt. I told him to check the grounds as you mentioned above. Also forgot to mention he said the tach and the speedo starting going crazy as well if that puts any more light on the equation.. Thanks for the info..

scparrish

Reaction score
I had the same issue with AutoZone alternators I ended up getting a dc power engineering and haven't had a problem since its been 7 or 8 months. I also replaced the factory connection going to the alternator because the pins looked a little jacked

Latest posts

Members online