6.0L Powerstroke No Start: Aftermarket Oil Filters

Mdub707

Reaction score
There's a kid on the powerstroke facebook page that just had his engine destroyed from lack of oil because Walmart put the wrong oil filter in it...

ThreeFitty

Reaction score
^ who the hell goes to walmart for an oil change? God it's so easy in these trucks I don't see a reason to bring it somewhere. Then I don't have to worry if they actually used the correct oil and filter or stripped out my drain plug. Then I can only blame myself lol

Sent while cutting grass

78f100

Reaction score
We had our first no start from filter issues come in this week. It actually had a motorcraft filter with a tall unknown cap maybe a wix or similar. It had 3 lower rings off old filters stacked up on bottom and the filter was crushed.

co04cobra

Reaction score
We've had at least 3 come through with a no start from aftermarket filters.

When you tell people why not to use them, sometimes I believe, they think you are just spewing BS.

powerlifter405

Reaction score
The internet is full of "information" and the oil filter 6.0/6.4 use appears to be one of them. I've never used wix or fram on my vehicles and have used Mobil 1 and Bosch almost exclusively when possible. I've read their specs, spoke to the parent manufacturing company and combined w/ those items and UOA from other members and bobsoilsite.

I'll be the 1st to admit that I figured this to be internet hype due to a few bad bottom of the barrel brands.

This is a Bosch BH 3540.
I did a fresh change at around 289,400ish w/ the Bosch and Shell 15-40.
Current miles are 289,906. I have noticed that start time has been extended made more pronounced by the cold snap we've had.
After seeing this thread combined w/ the cold weather I figure I'd rather be safe than sorry and grab a MC and some syn 5-40 just to cover all bases.

New MC filter and Delo 5-40 and it starts right up, instant oil pressure and the injectors are 10x quieter and it idles smoother.

Attachments

• IMG_0093.JPG
    IMG_0093.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 59

Mdub707

Reaction score
In the kids defense (kid who went to walmart) he was in some sort of a pinch and out of town and walmart was the only place open. I believe it was sort of a last resort for him.

There was another member running WIX only, against the advice of others. His WIX rep told him they will guarantee the filters and would cover any engine damage done at any point. It was a big contract customer of some sort and he knew the guy on a relative personal level.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.