6.4 looses power intermittently and bellows white smoke

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
I have a buddies 6.4 in the shop now that does what the title says. Sometimes the truck will run the duration of the trip without a hiccup but sometimes after warming up for a few minutes it will begin to chug at idle, blow smoke and be very sluggish. The smoke is definitely white un burnt diesel, there are no codes present, blow by is minimal. Once it begins to run rough, you can shut the truck off start it back up and it will run fine again, sometimes for the rest of the trip, sometimes only for a few minutes. It has been very cold here for the last few weeks (below zero and single digit *F at night) and he just filled up with fuel. I tested the LP pump and it didn't register on my gauge. I pulled the pressure tester off and pushed the schrader valve in manually with the pump on and there was a very slow stream/dribble that would come out. Some say that as long as the pressure is positive on the LP side that is good enough but the volume is what seems to be very low to me. The truck is in the shop with the heat on hoping if there is a frozen blockage it will thaw. Do you think this would cause these symptoms? What is the minimum PSI that should be on the LP fuel side? I will pull the fuel filters tonight and see what they look like but he said the dealer just replaced them both a few thousand miles ago. Does anyone have any other thoughts??

Kirk250

Reaction score
I would say it would be sticking injectors getting stuck open on the exhaust stroke. Mine used to do this and I started running a fuel additive year round. I haven't had a problem with it so far.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk

JEEPSTER401

Reaction score
I believe that it is related to the egr function. I loaded up Extreme Street and the issue is gone and a code (p0416) came up. That is a code for EGR temp sensor B circuit high. I am having a hard time finding what EGR sensor that is. Is that the sensor on the vertical EGR cooler? When this code come on with Extreme Street loaded it still drives/runs fine. Also after the thaw out I am getting about 3 psi of fuel pressure on the low side of the fuel system.

caleb.smith.56614

Reaction score
Any fix so far...I'm have the same issue and it's getting worse. When it started it was only once or while, but now it's every couple days if not once pr twice a day.

Had ut checked for codes and nothing is coming up.

01pwrstkr

Reaction score
Any fix so far...I'm have the same issue and it's getting worse. When it started it was only once or while, but now it's every couple days if not once pr twice a day.

Had ut checked for codes and nothing is coming up.
Does your truck still have egr/dpf? Or is it deleted? I had this issue with mine for the last couple months and finally I was able to order all my deletes and a cts to monitor with and noticed it constantly said DPF stat on. When I deleted and tuned to cut the emissions bullchit off it fixed it. It was constantly trying to regen.

"3 can keep a secret if 2 are dead"

Latest posts

Members online