6.4 tick .. Normal or No

mn_sclb

Reaction score
My 6.4 has a tick, it's always had it but I recently changed my fuel filters. At first it made it MUCH louder, then it went back down to where it was at first.. Maybe quieter. It happens at all temps, it's louder cold. When it's hot it only happens at certain rpms.. I think ( my exhaust overpowers it @ anything over 1.5k thanks toy stack ) the sound is very similar to the noise 6.0 make just before you turn them on. Or maybe a 6.0 buzz test. I could be being paranoid but I took a video just in case so you guys could be the judge. I did do some research before, and read the TSB on A sound but I'm not sure if that's MY sound.. Anyway.. Thanks guys.

Edit: Tapatalk keeps force closing every time I try to insert the vid. I'll try and figure something out

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

NY_Mott

Reaction score
No clue what it could be but I'd say it does not sound normal; don't recall mine ever sounding like that.
Hopefully someone can shed light on what I could be.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I'd shut her down and cut open oil filter and see if you have some sparkles in there. This kind of has a valve train noise to it.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
We have magnetic drain plugs right ? Because I remember seeing some metal on the drain plug. So I took an oil sample, but I think there was a thread on here about not using Blackstone ?

wiseguy

Reaction score
Video is really hard to tell. 6.4 have a tick which is normal. But if you have a tap I would worry. It's just hard to describe normal

mn_sclb

Reaction score
No worries. That's kinda what I was thinking. I'll just send off the sample tomorrow & let them decide what's normal. In the meantime I'll try and post the original video which has blowby/under hood sound, driver side wheel well sound(none really), exhaust sound (looking for a miss.. Couldn't find one), and In cab sound (passenger can't hear it)

08stroker350

Reaction score
Mine has 275KM. Sounds pretty clanky until she gets warm. when I first bought it was way worse until I started running shell rotella 15w40 .. Probably cut back noise to half of what it was.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
Mine has had a odd tapping noise that is intermittent every since rebuild. It is worse when oil change is fresh. The more miles you get on oil the quieter it gets. I've put over 45k miles on it in the last year since rebuild. It hasn't gotten any worse. But it seems to be worse on rotella 15/40 than it does on delo 15/40... I broke it in with rotella and lucas oil treatment. It also burns more rotella than it does delo...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

ckrueg

Reaction score
Mine has had a odd tapping noise that is intermittent every since rebuild. It is worse when oil change is fresh. The more miles you get on oil the quieter it gets. I've put over 45k miles on it in the last year since rebuild. It hasn't gotten any worse. But it seems to be worse on rotella 15/40 than it does on delo 15/40... I broke it in with rotella and lucas oil treatment. It also burns more rotella than it does delo...

My truck always has a minor tick when it's cold for the first 1k miles after an oil change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
My truck always has a minor tick when it's cold for the first 1k miles after an oil change.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Mine may do it for 2k or more miles at times.... I'd like to find out what it is but I don't wanna pull the engine just to try chase it down lol

08stroker350

Reaction score
You don't have to pull the engine. I believe you can just pull the passenger side valve covers and take a look. If there is any loose pieces order what you need and pull the other side as well ... Supposibly take about 3-4 hours I have been told

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
You don't have to pull the engine. I believe you can just pull the passenger side valve covers and take a look. If there is any loose pieces order what you need and pull the other side as well ... Supposibly take about 3-4 hours I have been told
I've had the valve covers off and found nothing. The noise is most noticeable from underneath the truck. This last oci all I did was change the oil filter, as a little test. And sure enough the noise came back, not as noticeable as a fresh oil and filter change but it was more noticeable with just a filter change. I looked all in the filter and found nothing shiny and have found nothing on the drain plug. Guess I'll keep driving the pig and see.

mn_sclb

Reaction score
Just an update: it ended up being nothing, once I got my mini maxx and it brought my idle back down to ~680 the sound is gone.

It comes back if the rpms go above ~1000-2000 but there's a TSB for that so I'm not worried

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fridaysoff

Reaction score
I have a 2010 that actually sounded similar and it was a split in the up pipe to the turbo from the horizontal cooler near the flange .. air was escaping making a ticking noise .. the heat would open and close the split ever so slightly for different tones in the ticking dependent on whether the truck was just fired up or had been running a while. This may not be the problem but it's an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online