6.4 WG Question (only gating one side)

TRUBBS

Reaction score
so I know this has been beaten to death over the years, but its near impossible to search anything about 6.4 and wastegates without bringing up hundreds of threads from egr deletes to guys builds so im going to ask it here and hope you guys can help school me

Now i know only gating the pass side has been the thing to do for years, but how come no one ever builds a "balance pipe" going from the driver side up pipe to the pass anger side egr port? (see picture below) seams like once the cab was up it would be pretty easy to do and would help keep all cylinders happy with back pressure?

like i said im sure this has been covered and im sorry to have to bring up the dead horse to get beat on some more but just trying to learn all i can

Attachments

• gatess.jpg
    gatess.jpg
    593 KB · Views: 107

madman1234509

Reaction score
Most likely its due to the fact that for the average consumer its more cost effective to just keep the one up pipe with a provision so most big companies only manufacture for ease of being able to sell them, and cost. Plus you can continue to use the egr if needed.

Some will tell you that only gating one pipe doesn't make a difference. But on a high hp build that is going to make high back pressure it doesn't make sense to use only one up pipe. The two banks on the engine are going to see different pressures up until the turbine housing where it will equal out. In theory pressure will equalize down into the up pipe with lesser pressure, which isn't as efficient as just having two gates to equally bypass all of the pressure.

Again, with stock turbos or drop ins with stock fuel (the average consumer) it's probably not a huge deal.

sootie

Reaction score
it is an open collector on the turbo pedestal so the pressure is equalized there.

if you were worried you can do one where you show in the pic and one on the drivers side lower egr cooler mount.

Six_Sloww

Reaction score
And on setups that do have divided up pipes with a crossover pipe you would lose the spool up characteristics of the divided flange. So the options are twin gates which obviously would get expensive or deal with the single waste gate which has proven to be effective for the most part.

Either way it ends up equalizing for the most part because the exhaust volume that was being restricted by the turbo has been cut in half, so less exhaust fighting to get through the turbine.

Last edited:

Wayne

Reaction score
The turbine housing has a huge chamber inside for pressure equalization. The single pipe gate is not so much about cheap, but practical function. Anything more under 800 HP range is over thinking it. If you need more gate than that, you probably have custom manifolds and up pipes anyway. Also, it's not a divided housing, so no spool up characteristics would be lost by connecting the pipes; only increased access difficulty.

Latest posts

Members online