6.4 ZF6 Clutch issues Fixed!

Reaction score
Recently I have been experiencing some problems with my clutch, which is a south bend single disk. As the transmission comes up to temp its difficult to get in to gear from a stop. The hotter it gets the more difficult it gets to put into gear. I've tried a number of different fluids. I finally settled on redline mt-85. It helped but still didn't fix the problem completely. Then I check the master cylinder rod end for play and it was still tight. At this point I thought the only fix was a new clutch. So I bit the bullet and bought a south bend dual disc. The clutch kit was delivered today. As I was reading through the instructions before install this weekend. I notices the kit included a "reinforcement clutch pedal bracket". I decided to install cause I wanted to see if it would make a noticable difference before I installed the new clutch. Bingo! It fixed the issue. Easy install, it took me about an hour from start to finish. I thought I would share so the fix might give some one more life out of their clutch. I think its only for the 6.0 and 6.4 guys but someone could use the concept in other applications, Maybe? Heres a pic of the bracket installed. I wish I would have done a write up with pics but didn't think of it until I experienced how well it worked. Sorry for the long read.

Attachments

• 20210330_185142.jpg
    20210330_185142.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 188

webb06

Reaction score
So that bracket was included with the clutch kit? I’ve never actually done a clutch in a 6.4 but have done 6.0 and never seen that bracket. We always use south bend clutches as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Yeah it was included in the clutch kit. The instructions were for 6.0 and 6.4. Liberator performance makes one also but I don't know if they're still around.

Iso-baric

Reaction score
Any chance there was a PN# included for the bracket?
Having similar issues with my dual disk in the ZF6, but South Bend wasn't kind enough to have included the reinforcement bracket.

Latest posts

Members online