600-700hp E40D what is nessesary?

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Alright all, i have been talking with alot of guys about transmissions latley and it seems like having an E40D hold up to 600hp doesnt take as much as i thought it takes. I was considering on buying all the parts and having a local guy that is supposed to be good, assemble it. If you could add in what you guys think is also nessesary/ not nessesary it would be greatly appriciated!! thanks!
.Preciosn triple disk billet converter
.Billet input shaft
.Red Alto Xtreme duty extra clutch packs/ kohle plates/snap ring package
.billet forward drum
.Mag-tech deep pan w/ larger cooler
.billet intermediate shaft w/ dual center support bearing
.billet output shaft
.6-pin steel planetary
.BTS valve body w/ .500 valve mod
.full synthetic fluid
.Maybe some sort of pump mod?..not sure yet

i think that is it but im not sure...any opinions? thanks!!

backwoodsboy

Reaction score
Have you priced all of those items out separately?
I doubt you're saving money by piecing it together compared to buying one directly from BTS.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I'd just buy a complete bts. Then you have a warranty and just pull it/ install.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
I have the same setup in my pickup except I went with punisher for the valve body, and I'm at roughly half the cost of a BTS.

Nobody would build them if they had to sell them for the cost of parts, that's just basic economics.

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Exactly, bts doesn't do anything super beefy to their trans and you pay top dollar for it..not to mention $600 in shipping and waiting a month for it to be built. I priced it to be about $2,800 in parts then about $900 in labor for someone to assemble it...thats $3,700 all said and done versus over 5k for a bts with shipping..Thats my 2 cents atleast..

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
I'm sure BTS has a few tricks that are unique, but I think building a trans that will hold up is not as complicated or expensive as people on the internets would have you believe.

powerstroker66

Reaction score
^^ exactly...Brian doesnt even use billet intermediat shafts..someone told me his transmission dont cost much more then $2800 to build..its the warrenty you pay for...

Jhaddox

Reaction score
Brian has tricks in there...craigs truck holding up to those beatings say enough for me...

Granted he's a 4r not an e4od...but they handle abuse

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

powerstroker66

Reaction score
Yea his tricks are what part combinations work the best along with exact shift point combinations that only experienced builders know which is what you pay for..atleast thats the way i see it..

Strokersace

Reaction score
Exactly, bts doesn't do anything super beefy to their trans and you pay top dollar for it..not to mention $600 in shipping and waiting a month for it to be built. I priced it to be about $2,800 in parts then about $900 in labor for someone to assemble it...thats $3,700 all said and done versus over 5k for a bts with shipping..Thats my 2 cents atleast..

Build YOUR transmission and beat on it at 700hp. Really, I dare you. If it makes it past 2 WOT runs, you're lucky. It will break, even if not on on the test drive. But, what's YOUR warranty and YOUR out of pocket costs going to be when it breaks???

You don't know a thing about bts transmissions. Before you have a costly venture and spout off with mis information, why don't you call bts and find out exactly what they are, what they'll hold to, and what the warranty is, not only written, but spoken.

You completely missed powerstrokejunkie's point.

powerstroker66

Reaction score
thats the thing though im not going to be at the 700hp range..ill be in the 550hp range so id like to build it to 600hp so i have some room for insurance...im just exploring the idea of building one cheaper that might hold up..

bad12jr

Reaction score
You do what you want. It's your money. But Ive been around motorsports since I was old enough to walk. I'm 23 now. I have cheaped out in things many times and it has bit me in the a$$ atleast 90% of the time. If you can afford to go to 550 horse then you better be able to pay for the stuff to support it. Knowledge is key. BTS has been in business for many years. Ill pay for knowledge any day and know that its gonna work.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

OldschoolPSD

Reaction score
I doubt any of the bubbas here know what the inside of an E4OD looks like. It's a transmission, there no magic BTS fairies dancing around in there doing magic. Build it... If it breaks you have enough money left over to built it again. 5k can buy a lot of trial and error...

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Ah jeez what did i start...

same chit different day man! many threads on the forums about the exact question your asking... its always good to try it out but how many times do you think you can rebuild it for the cost of a bts with the warranty he has? also how do you know what clutches and shafts he uses? or what they are made of?

live life full throttle

powerstroker66

Reaction score
I talked to a guy at a local meet that got in an argument with brian because he doesnt use billet intermediate shafts..then he went on to say how unhappy he was with BTS trans after he broke his 3 times and brian refused to warrenty it by the third time. Yea he pulled with his truck but he said it only held up 3 pulls before it snapped the intermediate shaft which is how the argument started..since then ive been contemplating a bts..plus shipping the trans back and forth if it breaks would kill me.

early99powerstroke

Reaction score
Personally I'm a believer in Brian's transmissions but like you I decided to build my own but more so for the experience. Before I built my transmission I did my hw and read up as much specs as I could on both bts and john wood transmissions. They both use stock oem spec borgwarner clutches (don't use red eagles they are to thin and the teeth are too soft) so I would start there, then for the clutch clearance go as tight as ford reccomends for a quicker apply time, steel planetarys, cryogenically treated shafts and drums, then machine the pressure plates (step plates) to add one extra clutch and steel to every clutch pack, machine both sides of the center support and put a snap ring on both sides of it (the center support is aluminum and by doing this prevents walking), use the transgo tugger kit on the pump, Precision torque converter, and then tell brian how much power you estimate your truck is running and what tuner you have and he'll build you a valve body accordingly to your truck. This aint no Brian's truck Shop transmission but It should hold. Good Luck

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.